The Student Room Group

Circumvention of the state pension age UK

I hate the ****ing Tories my ****ing pension age is 67

How do I deliberately circumvent the government so I am no longer within jurisdiction to the Mersey of the pathetic Tory Party so I may change so I can retire when I want to instead of them deciding when I retire I can decide when I want to retire.

What's better being within the United Kingdom or leave in the United Kingdom because I'm starting to get to the point of this but this economy in the United Kingdom is a load of ****.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Thesentience1451

How do I deliberately circumvent the government so I am no longer within jurisdiction to the Mersey of the pathetic Tory Party so I may change so I can retire when I want to instead of them deciding when I retire I can decide when I want to retire.

"I want benefits off the Government, but they're not giving as much as I'd like - so I don't want anything to do with the Government".

Sensible stuff, that.

What's better being within the United Kingdom or leave in the United Kingdom because I'm starting to get to the point of this but this economy in the United Kingdom is a load of ****.

The economy is doing pretty well really. The problem is, of course, that you're apparently relying on benefits for your old age. May I suggest that if you don't like how the benefits system operates that you ought to have provided privately for your own retirement.
Reply 2
Original post by .Kekistan
I think this is only the state pension though and you can take private pensions out as early as 55 (by having a quick Google search). I also don't think this is a left vs right issue, I wouldn't even be entirely against it myself as people are simply living longer due to advances in healthcare.

I find it intensely grating that older people (to have a state pension age of 67 you would have to be born before 1978) are seriously complaining about their state pension and demanding that younger people - with later state pension ages - somehow pay them more and get less themselves.

It's the utter selfishness of a generation who had a great deal handed to them on a plate, who saw massive increases in life expectancy without proportionate increases in pension ages and who now demand more from those who are having to work harder. **** that ****.
Reply 3

You appear to be under the impression that only the Tories raise the state pension age.. that is a mistake. A simple wiki search shows that Under the Pensions Act 2007, the SPA for both men and women will be raised to 68 between 2044 and 2046.

Now you find a way to increase the native birth rate and we can discuss lowering the state pension age.
You can retire whenever you like. You have to wait until you are 67 before you can claim your state pension. Of course your pension allowance is based on your NI contributions.
State pension should be abolished. You've had your entire life to build up a retirement fund, so live off that rather than expect government handouts. If you haven't build up a considerable property and stock portfolio by 30 than you really need to consider you priorities.
Reply 6
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
State pension should be abolished. You've had your entire life to build up a retirement fund, so live off that rather than expect government handouts. If you haven't build up a considerable property and stock portfolio by 30 than you really need to consider you priorities.

If 50% of people owned a property portfolio of say 3 properties (which I wouldn't say is considerable)... how would that work?

Whats the point of paying into the system then?
Reply 8

Move away from Liverpool.

And/or build up a private pension. Most schemes allow you to start paying out when you are 55.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag

The state pension (largely) comes from your National Insurance payment record.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-state-pension-handouts/four-ways-to-increase-your-new-state-pension
Reply 10
Original post by Tiger Rag

He's obviously trolling, but there is an issue here: you can't avoid paying into the state pension (except, of course, by not earning). It prevents the state having to make payouts without contribution for people who might otherwise find themselves destitute.

We pay more than enough taxes do deserve money in our older years.
Reply 12
Original post by mrwb9876
We pay more than enough taxes do deserve money in our older years.

No we don't. We pay for public services now (not to mention those billions of pounds extra that we spend that is part of the deficit). Any benefits that people get in their old age are paid for by other, working-age people.
Original post by L i b
No we don't. We pay for public services now (not to mention those billions of pounds extra that we spend that is part of the deficit). Any benefits that people get in their old age are paid for by other, working-age people.

But most of the services we use hard working people don't benefit from. Benefits, foreign aid, defence, civil servants, EU all don't really benefit me. So I deserve at least a decent pension in exchange for half my money
Reply 14
But most of the services we use hard working people don't benefit from. Benefits, foreign aid, defence, civil servants, EU all don't really benefit me. So I deserve at least a decent pension in exchange for half my money

How would the country operate without defence & civil servants. And why don't those less advantaged than you deserve benefits or foreign aid (foreign aid should be viewed as an investment anyway). And as for the EU, what % of your taxation goes to that (ignoring the benefits it brings for now...)?
Original post by Doonesbury
How would the country operate without defence & civil servants. And why don't those less advantaged than you deserve benefits or foreign aid (foreign aid should be viewed as an investment anyway). And as for the EU, what % of your taxation goes to that (ignoring the benefits it brings for now...)?

Please tell me how these benefit me. The EU is a corrupt sham and people on benefits are lazy scum. The TV licence funds propaganda against native Brits, foreign aid goes to corrupt dictators, such as the £4m given to NORTH FRIGGIN KOREA. The only things I get back for slaving away all my life having a majority of my money stolen is healthcare and education, which is terrible right now thanks to mass immigration, and a pension. Idiot.
Reply 16
Please tell me how these benefit me. The EU is a corrupt sham and people on benefits are lazy scum. The TV licence funds propaganda against native Brits, foreign aid goes to corrupt dictators, such as the £4m given to NORTH FRIGGIN KOREA. The only things I get back for slaving away all my life having a majority of my money stolen is healthcare and education, which is terrible right now thanks to mass immigration, and a pension. Idiot.

At this point I'll leave you to your sad life.
Original post by Doonesbury
At this point I'll leave you to your sad life.

I see I've won. 🙂
Reply 18

You're quite right - they are, in the main, not there to benefit you. Even universalism, where it exists, is not some sort of bonus to taxpayers, but largely a mechanism to stop people falling through the cracks of a public service, or to provide for a broader objective of the state.

There's a reason why the state takes money off people - it's not just to give it back to the same people.
The pension age will be at least 70 by the time we retire, that should wind up the op even more lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending