The Student Room Group

Which calculator is the best for A Level Maths?

I'm starting A Level Maths is September and I'm wondering what calculator I will need. I used a Casio FX-85GT for my GCSEs and loved it but I'm not sure whether it will be suitable for A Level. Will my current calculator do or will I need to buy another one?

Scroll to see replies

id say fx991 es, does integration and summations, plus is about £20, its more or less what you have but better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-CS13486-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
That one will get you through, but I'd really recommend one that has more features like calculus and equation subbing/solving, especially if you're doing further maths. My school had the 991es as standard classroom ones, but I got the 991ex (https://edu.casio.com/products/cwiz/fx991ex/) online and loved it - 100% would recommend. My school didn't particularly push graphics calculators, so I don't really know much about those, but you may want to have a look. They can be a lot more expensive though.
Also just a tip in general - really learn how to use your calculator, and everything it can do for you. Properly going through the manual for mine must have saved me several precious minutes in each exam!
Original post by quinnholmes
I'm starting A Level Maths is September and I'm wondering what calculator I will need. I used a Casio FX-85GT for my GCSEs and loved it but I'm not sure whether it will be suitable for A Level. Will my current calculator do or will I need to buy another one?

The first two replies to your query are wrong. You will be studying the new specification and this requires the Casio FX 991 EX.
(edited 5 years ago)
I think if you are doing the new Maths A level, you should probably get a graphical calculator. I would recommend Casio 991EX ClassWiz if you're looking for a cheap but a very useful and adequate one - I think it's only about £27!

(But if you really don't mind the price, I would recommend Casio fx-CG20.)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Geodesic
I think if you are doing the new Maths A level, you should probably get a graphical calculator. I would recommend Casio 991EX ClassWiz if you're looking for a cheap but a very useful and adequate one - I think it's only about £27!

Graphical calculators are sooooo unnecessary. Schools sell the 991EX to students for under £20.

Was the CG20 recommended to you by your teacher? The CG20 keeps on popping up despite being wholly unnecessary.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Was the CG20 recommended to you by your teacher? The CG20 keeps on popping up despite being wholly unnecessary.

No it wasn't, I just was able to get it on sale and I really like it. I do agree that it is unnecessary to get unless you are a calculator freak (like me) and are looking to splurge.
Casio FX991EX, failing that the 991ES. If you're looking for a decent graphics calculator I'd recommend the FX9860GII (one of the cheapest casios with a natural display) :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
No it wasn't, I just was able to get it on sale and I really like it. I do agree that it is unnecessary to get unless you are a calculator freak (like me) and are looking to splurge.

Ah ok, fair enough then :smile:

tsrbigcalcbling.jpg

a basic entry level casio like this is fine
Original post by the bear

tsrbigcalcbling.jpg

a basic entry level casio like this is fine

Please burn that cover
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
Graphical calculators are sooooo unnecessary. Schools sell the 991EX to students for under £20.

Quoting MEI:
"For the 2017 A levels students will require a calculator that can calculate Binomial and Normal probabilities directly from values. The minimum standard for this is an advanced scientific calculator, such as the Casio 991EX ClassWiz or the TI-30X Pro; however, graphical calculators have this facility along with the additional advantage of being able to plot the graphs of functions...."

Although I agree that they are not essential, but I think that they can come in handy to check answers and such, and that kind of reassurance is always nice to have during an exam, but that is just my opinion!
Original post by muonfrisbee98
Casio FX991EX, failing that the 991ES. If you're looking for a decent graphics calculator I'd recommend the FX9860GII (one of the cheapest casios with a natural display) :smile:

The 991ES is not suitable for the reformed A level.

This model has been replaced by the FX-CG50. Just got one for my son. Looks whizzy!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
The 991ES is not suitable for the reformed A level.

I apologise for my misinformed answer beforehand about the 991es. I've just finished A2 maths and AS further maths this year and the 991es was hilariously overkill in this spec? what has changed so dramatically that it is no longer even sufficient out of interest, just sad ive missed out on some maths...
Original post by tomahawker314
I apologise for my misinformed answer beforehand about the 991es. I've just finished A2 maths and AS further maths this year and the 991es was hilariously overkill in this spec? what has changed so dramatically that it is no longer even sufficient out of interest, just sad ive missed out on some maths...

Edexcel's new formula book is here:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/Pearson_Edexcel_A_Level_GCE_in_Mathematics_Formulae_Book.pdf

As you will see, although there are still some statistical tables, it will now be necessary to use a calculator to find answers that were previously available in tables which are no longer included.

As has already been mentioned, the Casio fx-991EX "CLASSWIZ" is probably the best option.
(edited 5 years ago)
Casio for sure

Quick Reply

Latest