The Student Room Group

Bad scores on UKCAT.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma.sx
Hi, I got 1850 band one on my UKCAT, which I'm worried won't be high enough for the UKCAT unis I want to go to, so I'm definately taking the BMAT. I haven't got as much time as I want to prepare for it as I originally didn't plan on doing the BMAT, so was wondering what advice people have on preparing and if anyone has helpful tips etc. Thanks :smile:

It will be high enough for certain UKCAT unis proving certain conditions are met:smile: Where are you applying?
Okay i have sat the BMAT last year.
1) For the essay, make sure you read plenty of examples to farmilarise yourself with the structure. 700 BMAT book is excellent for essays as it gives you valuable advice. For example, you cannot get above 2/5 in the essay if you don't answer all parts of the question properly. Also you get an english grade for the essay which most people achieve an A in. It is CRUCIAL you achieve an A in english. This is because 2 examiners mark you essay and can only give A, C, E (the grade is averaged out between the 2 examiners), so if you were to achieve a C for english....thats 2 WHOLE points lost from your BMAT score, however if for example you drop a mark in the science section, you only lose 0.2 or 0.3 marks.
2) For section 1 its all about practice I'm afraid just like the UKCAT. Its so important to focus on past paper questions rather than these BMAT courses which in my opinion are a waste of money as there are past papers online that go back to 2003!
3) For section 2 make sure you have all the knowledge of the assumed subject knowledge guide on the BMAT website. It is 400 pages long, however if you read 100 pages a day it won't be too bad. I reckon 100 pages will take 45-60 mins as you would already understand 90% of content. Btw past papers for this section vary in the specification
Reply 21
Original post by Mathsmad123
It will be high enough for certain UKCAT unis proving certain conditions are met:smile: Where are you applying?
Okay i have sat the BMAT last year.
1) For the essay, make sure you read plenty of examples to farmilarise yourself with the structure. 700 BMAT book is excellent for essays as it gives you valuable advice. For example, you cannot get above 2/5 in the essay if you don't answer all parts of the question properly. Also you get an english grade for the essay which most people achieve an A in. It is CRUCIAL you achieve an A in english. This is because 2 examiners mark you essay and can only give A, C, E (the grade is averaged out between the 2 examiners), so if you were to achieve a C for english....thats 2 WHOLE points lost from your BMAT score, however if for example you drop a mark in the science section, you only lose 0.2 or 0.3 marks.
2) For section 1 its all about practice I'm afraid just like the UKCAT. Its so important to focus on past paper questions rather than these BMAT courses which in my opinion are a waste of money as there are past papers online that go back to 2003!
3) For section 2 make sure you have all the knowledge of the assumed subject knowledge guide on the BMAT website. It is 400 pages long, however if you read 100 pages a day it won't be too bad. I reckon 100 pages will take 45-60 mins as you would already understand 90% of content. Btw past papers for this section vary in the specification

Thankyou so much! That's really helpful! :smile: and I'm applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Lancaster, I know Manchester is a risky option but it's my favourite so I'm definately applying there :smile: I have predicted A*A*A, good references, AAAA at AS and I'm happy with my personal statement so I'm hoping these will make up a little for my ukcat :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emma.sx
Thankyou so much! That's really helpful! :smile: and I'm applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Lancaster, I know Manchester is a risky option but it's my favourite so I'm definately applying there) :smile:

No problem! And I'm applying to leeds and lancaster too! I had an interview from leeds last year but got rejected haha.
Original post by emma.sx
Thankyou so much! That's really helpful! :smile: and I'm applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Lancaster, I know Manchester is a risky option but it's my favourite so I'm definately applying there :smile: I have predicted A*A*A, good references, AAAA at AS and I'm happy with my personal statement so I'm hoping these will make up a little for my ukcat :smile:

Wow those are really good grades. But one thing you should note is that if a university operates a UKCAT cut off, You MUST meet it to be considered. I do also think manchester and liverpool are slightly risk tbh
Original post by emma.sx

Hey how did it go? I got 660 and don't know whether to apply??
Reply 25
Hi, I had an enquiry. Since you got your UKCAT results can you please let me know if decision making scores were included.. Because I heard that they were not considered for last year's exam..
Reply 26
Original post by MedicMedicMedic
I just did my UKCAT today and I got such awful scores. I did not expect 1680/2700 with a Band 3 in SJ. The questions were really hard, and the practice papers I did were so much easier.

I thought I was really prepared but now with these scores, no Medical School would consider offering me a place. I may do the BMAT now to try and override it. I was considering applying to Sheffield since I only have a grade C in Maths but my AS Level results will also be crap, judging by how I've been doing recently.

I wanted to apply to Medicine since I cannot imagine myself doing anything else, but now I have to rethink everything. I may just do Biomedical Sciences.

Does anyone have any advice, if possible?

Have you ever considered Studying Medicine abroad? The course is recognized by the GMC which means you don't have to take any exams when you come back to the UK in order to practice! I'm sure if you pass the entrance test with high enough grades then you'll receive an offer. I study abroad too and it was probably the best decision I've ever made. I applied through Tutelage and they literally took care of the whole application process and even flew out with me to settle me in and get accommodation. Hope i helped!
Reply 27
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
Hey how did it go? I got 660 and don't know whether to apply??

I didn't get an interview at Manchester, I was below the cut of which was around 660, I can't remember the exact number, but I think you may just be at the cut off x
Original post by emma.sx
I didn't get an interview at Manchester, I was below the cut of which was around 660, I can't remember the exact number, but I think you may just be at the cut off x

Hey did you get offers from Liverpool and other places?
Reply 29
Hey did you get offers from Liverpool and other places?

No, no offers sadly, I'm on the reserve list for Leeds so fingers crossed I may still go there in September! x
Original post by emma.sx
No, no offers sadly, I'm on the reserve list for Leeds so fingers crossed I may still go there in September! x

That's so silly yours stats are amazing! Fingers crossed Leeds let you in
Reply 31
That's so silly yours stats are amazing! Fingers crossed Leeds let you in

Thanks x are you applying for 2018 entry?
Original post by emma.sx
Thanks x are you applying for 2018 entry?

Yep hopefully are you going to apply through clearing at St. George's?
Reply 33
Yep hopefully are you going to apply through clearing at St. George's?

Not sure I never really imagined myself going to uni down south
Original post by emma.sx
Not sure I never really imagined myself going to uni down south

They have 50 places so worth a try!
Reply 35

50? wow that's a lot! I may give it a try then and see what happens, no harm in that
Original post by emma.sx
50? wow that's a lot! I may give it a try then and see what happens, no harm in that

Yep they tweeted that this year they have 50 spaces
Reply 37
Original post by emma.sx

Do you know where I can get information on it?
Original post by emma.sx
Do you know where I can get information on it?

http://www.gponline.com/article/1441983
Reply 39

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending