The Student Room Group

5th Subject

I am applying to study medicine for entry in 2018. My desire is to become a pathologist after studying medicine. However, I am unsure what to put down as my 5th subject on my UCAS application. If I fail to be admitted onto a medicine course I think I will probably accept my 5th option rather than reapply as I want to begin university study as soon as possible. My interests lie in organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, biological molecules, plants/botany, microorganisms, drug design and development, anatomy, physiology. However, I would really like to avoid genetics, pure mathematics, physical chemistry, sociology and ecology.

Could anybody suggest an appropriate degree for my preferences. I am grateful for any help anyone is able to provide.
Original post by aytuiq
I am applying to study medicine for entry in 2018. My desire is to become a pathologist after studying medicine. However, I am unsure what to put down as my 5th subject on my UCAS application. If I fail to be admitted onto a medicine course I think I will probably accept my 5th option rather than reapply as I want to begin university study as soon as possible. My interests lie in organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, biological molecules, plants/botany, microorganisms, drug design and development, anatomy, physiology. However, I would really like to avoid genetics, pure mathematics, physical chemistry, sociology and ecology.

Could anybody suggest an appropriate degree for my preferences. I am grateful for any help anyone is able to provide.

Err not really. No one is going to look through your interests and different degree structures and work out what's best for you. That's your job! You can't just make up a degree that involves this and that but not this and that either. Have a look through ucas, particularly popular choices like bio, biomed, biochem, mol biol and chem and see what jumps out at you and where. It may be a good idea to pick somewhere with a medical school so you get some exposure to it.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. Apologies for appearing a little demanding, but please note I was not intending to ask people to research what degree I should do etc. just maybe people with similar preferences could suggest what they want to/are/have studied. Perhaps a natural sciences course would be appropriate as I could choose which subjects to do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by aytuiq

You like inorganic chemistry but not physical chemistry, biological molecules but not genetics, botany but not ecology. Maybe be a bit less (significantly less) picky?
Reply 4
Those subjects are rather different. I also have no problem studying those subjects that I dislike in moderation if it is necessary; I was just stating what I enjoy the most. Many thanks for your comment.
Original post by aytuiq
Those subjects are rather different. I also have no problem studying those subjects that I dislike in moderation if it is necessary; I was just stating what I enjoy the most. Many thanks for your comment.

Since you're applying for medicine and will thus be writing a personal statement for medicine, your best bet is to go with biomedical sciences. Just because they fit well together. You sound smart enough to get into medicine anyway so I wouldn't obsess over what your fifth option should be, most prospective med students just choose biomedical sciences because it can lead to graduate medicine.
Reply 6
Yes, that is probably a good idea. Would I be right in saying that many universities do not require a different personal statement for biomedical sciences? Thanks again for your help!
Original post by aytuiq
Yes, that is probably a good idea. Would I be right in saying that many universities do not require a different personal statement for biomedical sciences? Thanks again for your help!

Well you only get to write one personal statement on your UCAS form, which is why it's important to apply for similar courses. Anything you write in your personal statement for medicine will apply to biomedical sciences too. That won't be the case if you apply for biochemistry instead, for example.

Universities are well aware that medicine students choose biomed as their fifth option.
Reply 8
Original post by Callum323
Well you only get to write one personal statement on your UCAS form, which is why it's important to apply for similar courses. Anything you write in your personal statement for medicine will apply to biomedical sciences too. That won't be the case if you apply for biochemistry instead, for example.

Universities are well aware that medicine students choose biomed as their fifth option.

Thanks. What subject are you studying by the way?
Original post by aytuiq
Thanks. What subject are you studying by the way?

I just finished first year biochemistry, but I knew 5 people who applied for medicine at sixth form.
Reply 10
Nice, enjoy your summer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending