The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Going to keep an eye on this thread I thinkI I'll be starting my Masters this September, but also want to apply for the Fast Steam! Excited and equally nervous!
I'm applying for the Government Social Research fast stream again. I didn't make it past the situational judgement tests last year - despite answering the questions as if my Department for Education manager was there! (I did the GSR summer internship last year)
Original post by Sam8s
Overall I'm really enjoying it. There are good parts and bad parts as with any job, but so far the good has outweighed the bad by a long shot. Back when I applied the application process was even longer than 3 months - you guys have it lucky! Even though it was long I'd still say the application process was still worth it, although it's definitely a lot easier when you've already got a job or something to do while you're waiting between stages.

I'm on the Digital and Technology stream, which is essentially the Generalist scheme with a tech flavour. We often do very similar roles, and it's still very focused on leadership rather than becoming a developer or something similar (they have other schemes for that).

Hi Sam8s,

Can you expand on the additional Technology schemes?

I was looking at applying to the D&T Stream this year on the basis that it was focused on leadership and technology (I already work as a software engineer).

From your post, it sounds like you don't really get stuck into any of the dev work which I would miss should I get on to the stream.

Thanks in advance :smile:.
Reply 43
Original post by s3asalty
Hi Sam8s,

Can you expand on the additional Technology schemes?

I was looking at applying to the D&T Stream this year on the basis that it was focused on leadership and technology (I already work as a software engineer).

From your post, it sounds like you don't really get stuck into any of the dev work which I would miss should I get on to the stream.

Thanks in advance :smile:.

While it is a Digital & Technology focused stream, the aim of it is not to produce senior software developers/engineers. It's more focused on developing leaders with digital expertise that are widely deployable within the Civil Service.

That being said there is a lot of breadth in the roles you can take, for example you can request to be put in a more dev focused area. There are 8 areas in total however so it'll be difficult to solely focus on that if that's your aim (that being said there are people who have managed it, I know someone who has done nothing but Product Management for example.)

I've gone into my placements with a good idea of what I want to get out of them and even when the template hasn't exactly fit what I'm interested in I've managed to realign myself once in post. I do want to stress that while that's been my experience it may be different for you or for others.

If you DM me I'd be happy to go into more detail.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 44
hey guys, applied last year but failed the judgement tests and i'm looking to apply again this year. Any advice on how to prepare for them?
Reply 45
Original post by vbng
hey guys, applied last year but failed the judgement tests and i'm looking to apply again this year. Any advice on how to prepare for them?

I'll be starting the fast stream this year as a generalist. Situation judgement is about making decisions within the confines of the role that you are applying for. You might make different decisions if you were a SpAd rather than a civil servant, for example. The best advice is the read the civil service competency framework and embody those values/behaviours when thinking about your answers. I realise you might have done this when you did it before, but as it isn't timed you can really think about the answers you're giving.
Reply 46
Just logged in to my Student Room account for the first time since early 2010 (before I started my undergraduate degree). Funny how things come full circle. Posting here as this thread looks like it'll be very handy.

To fund my Masters Degree (which I've just completed) I actually went to work for two years after my B.A., which means I have 2 years' relevant work experience. However it also means I'm 25. Does age matter here, as I have heard some (private sector) graduate schemes want people straight out of Uni? I'm starting anew job in a few weeks at the council, will this Public Sector experience count for anything in my application?

Additionally, does anyone have information on the schemes themselves? My dream is the FCO stream as I have foreign language skills and have lived abroad before, but I heard that is one of the more competitive streams. The other stream I was looking at is the Human Resources one, as I worked in HR during those two years (but don't have any CIPD accreditation or anything). What are the chances of getting into one against the other? Should I apply for both, and in what order?

Finally, I have applied to a direct entry job and failed on the psychometric tests. I passed the verbal and numerical reasoning tests but scored very poorly on the situational test. Any tips?
Hi!

Looking to apply this September for the Fast Stream programme. Would anyone be able to explain the whole process for me? It takes roughly about 3 months, if I'm correct?

Any advise and information would be greatly appreciated!! :smile:
Original post by NRasheed
Hi!

Looking to apply this September for the Fast Stream programme. Would anyone be able to explain the whole process for me? It takes roughly about 3 months, if I'm correct?

Any advise and information would be greatly appreciated!! :smile:

The whole process takes a full year, not 3 months.
Reply 49
Original post by Himo
Just logged in to my Student Room account for the first time since early 2010 (before I started my undergraduate degree). Funny how things come full circle. Posting here as this thread looks like it'll be very handy.

To fund my Masters Degree (which I've just completed) I actually went to work for two years after my B.A., which means I have 2 years' relevant work experience. However it also means I'm 25. Does age matter here, as I have heard some (private sector) graduate schemes want people straight out of Uni? I'm starting anew job in a few weeks at the council, will this Public Sector experience count for anything in my application?

Additionally, does anyone have information on the schemes themselves? My dream is the FCO stream as I have foreign language skills and have lived abroad before, but I heard that is one of the more competitive streams. The other stream I was looking at is the Human Resources one, as I worked in HR during those two years (but don't have any CIPD accreditation or anything). What are the chances of getting into one against the other? Should I apply for both, and in what order?

Finally, I have applied to a direct entry job and failed on the psychometric tests. I passed the verbal and numerical reasoning tests but scored very poorly on the situational test. Any tips?

Doesn't matter what age you are, as long as you have a degree (some from the CS itself apply for the FS!)
Reply 50
Hi,
I'm planning on applying for SDIP and FastStream - I'm in my final year of Uni (mature student) and working part-time. I live in Scotland - any Scottish (future) applicants around here? IF succesuful do we get placements in our city or we need to relocate?
Reply 51
Original post by stefanya
Hi,
I'm planning on applying for SDIP and FastStream - I'm in my final year of Uni (mature student) and working part-time. I live in Scotland - any Scottish (future) applicants around here? IF succesuful do we get placements in our city or we need to relocate?

Not Scottish, but go to a Scottish uni, currently doing the SDIP at the Scottish government.

It is very possible you will have to relocate. You can be placed in Edinburgh or Glasgow if you would like to stay in Scotland, but as you have likely guessed, most of the departments are in England, and most of the first placements do occur in London (according to my line manager, who is just finishing the Fast Stream herself).
Original post by Himo

I'll be starting on the Fast Stream at the end of this month. This year was my first time applying and it was a career change decision so I'm 33(!) The fast stream "buddy" I was paired with also seems about my age so you certainly won't be the oldest one around! A great thing about the application process is that your prior experience is not looked at in any way, except indirectly in how it has prepared you to answer the questions posed.

Unless they change the style this year you can apply for as many streams as you want, but you need to put them in order of preference. Diplomatic would certainly make sense to go first as it's competitive (they don't mark you on lower streams until you have failed or withdrawn from a higher stream on your list). I'd also recommend including stream that only assesses you up to and including the FSAC, such as generalist if that interests you should you fail at the FSBs etc for your other schemes but still want to work on the fast stream.

They no longer have the numerical tests unless your are doing certain numerate disciplines such as finance. But situational judgement tests are the first hurdle. I'd recommend doing the examples they provide plus finding what you can online. I didn't pay for any practice tests but some people do. As other posters have mentioned reading the cs competencies framework can often help here. Plus remembering the role level you are applying for as you may approach a situation differently!

I'll try and post a little about my experiences during the first few months on the stream later in the year.
Reply 53
Original post by Airmed
Not Scottish, but go to a Scottish uni, currently doing the SDIP at the Scottish government.

It is very possible you will have to relocate. You can be placed in Edinburgh or Glasgow if you would like to stay in Scotland, but as you have likely guessed, most of the departments are in England, and most of the first placements do occur in London (according to my line manager, who is just finishing the Fast Stream herself).

Thank you.
Glasgow or Edinburgh will be ok as I live in Glasgow. I asked as the assessment centres are in England and after days of researching the Fast Stream / DSIP wasn't sure of placements.
Reply 54
Original post by Outrigger
I'll be starting on the Fast Stream at the end of this month. This year was my first time applying and it was a career change decision so I'm 33(!) The fast stream "buddy" I was paired with also seems about my age so you certainly won't be the oldest one around! A great thing about the application process is that your prior experience is not looked at in any way, except indirectly in how it has prepared you to answer the questions posed.

Unless they change the style this year you can apply for as many streams as you want, but you need to put them in order of preference. Diplomatic would certainly make sense to go first as it's competitive (they don't mark you on lower streams until you have failed or withdrawn from a higher stream on your list). I'd also recommend including stream that only assesses you up to and including the FSAC, such as generalist if that interests you should you fail at the FSBs etc for your other schemes but still want to work on the fast stream.

They no longer have the numerical tests unless your are doing certain numerate disciplines such as finance. But situational judgement tests are the first hurdle. I'd recommend doing the examples they provide plus finding what you can online. I didn't pay for any practice tests but some people do. As other posters have mentioned reading the cs competencies framework can often help here. Plus remembering the role level you are applying for as you may approach a situation differently!

I'll try and post a little about my experiences during the first few months on the stream later in the year.

Thanks for the reply, this was very insightful!

To clarify, I have never had a problem with verbal or numerical reasoning, it's the situational/personality tests I've struggled to pass in the past. Applying frameworks on those tests doesn't come easily to me which is very strange because in my HR Job I literally wrote the competency framework.

The advice about the streams was good. My second stream will likely be the HR stream, and that doesn't have final selection. Also, it seems that movement between the various CS branches is relatively straightforward so after a few years doing that moving across to the FCO seems like a plausible scenario.
Reply 55
Hi all :smile: same boat as most of you...last on SR when applying to uni! Just about to start my last year at uni and starting to think about grad scheme applications. Interested in Generalist stream...would be keen to hear from someone already in the position. As for application prep I'm totally new to the process...where should I begin?!
Reply 56
Original post by maisy03
Hi all :smile: same boat as most of you...last on SR when applying to uni! Just about to start my last year at uni and starting to think about grad scheme applications. Interested in Generalist stream...would be keen to hear from someone already in the position. As for application prep I'm totally new to the process...where should I begin?!

Hi Maisy,

Im applying this year as well, the best place (but its a long read!!!) is last years fast stream thread,

HTH's

Pete
Reply 57
Original post by OAPPete
Hi Maisy,

Im applying this year as well, the best place (but its a long read!!!) is last years fast stream thread,

HTH's

Pete

Will have a look-see thanks!
Hi everyone! I am applying this year and I was wondering how many different areas people were considering? I am interested in quite a few at this stage and am wondering if/how I should be narrowing this down?
I have done a bit of research, but is it a bad idea to keep my options open at this point?
One of the Fast Stream's tweets or Facebook posts (I can't remember which) seems to suggest we'll only be allowed to select four streams this year, as opposed to unlimited last year! There's also a section on the website that's not completed yet saying there will be "changes" this year - will be interesting to see what! This is my second year of applying, got to the assessment centre last year and have been offered Direct Appointment at the Cabinet Office, but I reckon I could have done better at the assessment centre, hence the second crack!

Latest

Trending

Trending