The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orlandothefraser
Dear BrasenoseAdm,
Thanks for this information. Say on results day you did miss your offer by a grade, is there any point in ringing up the college to ask if they will still let you in? Or would it make no difference as they have all the information about you already, and therefore can make their decision without your input?

If your UCAS Track hasn't updated to show that your Oxford college has rejected you or whatever wording they'd use, it's worth ringing up. But bear in mind you will not be able to speak to the subject tutors - only the admissions staff, so if the admissions staff say no after ringing up, that is pretty much final. No point pleading with them on the phone for ages! :nah:
Original post by Orlandothefraser
Dear BrasenoseAdm,
Thanks for this information. Say on results day you did miss your offer by a grade, is there any point in ringing up the college to ask if they will still let you in? Or would it make no difference as they have all the information about you already, and therefore can make their decision without your input?

Separate to UCAS Track, we email all offer-holders on results day (Thursday) with details of the outcome. In the case of applicants whom we are not able to confirm, the letter includes instructions of how to proceed if the candidate intends to seek a re-mark or wishes to challenge the decision.
Hey guys,

A current Oxford student here. Just wanted to say a huge good luck to all of those getting A Level results next week - this time last year I was obsessively checking track and TSR every hour and nothing else was on my mind. My advice is to enjoy the process, you probably won't get this feeling of anticipation/excitement/fear again for a long while - it is such a crazy time and the feeling of meeting your offer is immense. Obviously some people may miss their offers by the skin of their teeth, which will be horrible for a day or two, but life goes on. Going to another great uni and swimming in work experience/essay competitions/internships will give you as good a chance as anyone at the top jobs in the market.

Basically, you'll be happy wherever you end up, but I have my fingers crossed for you all :-) x x
Original post by Aquaxo
Hey guys,

A current Oxford student here. Just wanted to say a huge good luck to all of those getting A Level results next week - this time last year I was obsessively checking track and TSR every hour and nothing else was on my mind. My advice is to enjoy the process, you probably won't get this feeling of anticipation/excitement/fear again for a long while - it is such a crazy time and the feeling of meeting your offer is immense. Obviously some people may miss their offers by the skin of their teeth, which will be horrible for a day or two, but life goes on. Going to another great uni and swimming in work experience/essay competitions/internships will give you as good a chance as anyone at the top jobs in the market.

Basically, you'll be happy wherever you end up, but I have my fingers crossed for you all :-) x x

Thanks 🙏🏿
@BrasenoseAdm @LMH OXFORD @gavinlowe

Just thinking about the somewhat sensationalist newspaper headlines at the weekend about impending "results day chaos".... from the A-level results you have seen so far does it look like the % of missed offers is higher than normal?
Original post by Doonesbury

Just thinking about the somewhat sensationalist newspaper headlines at the weekend about impending "results day chaos".... from the A-level results you have seen so far does it look like the % of missed offers is higher than normal?

Thank you for your post. A-level results are embargoed until Thursday and so we are not able to release details of outcomes to individuals or make any general media comments until then. The same holds for other Universities who are likewise in purdah.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thank you for your post. A-level results are embargoed until Thursday and so we are not able to release details of outcomes to individuals or make any general media comments until then. The same holds for other Universities who are likewise in purdah.

Ok, understood for individuals/specifics, but even for general commentaries? It's a shame the press and others can though... :frown:
Hey all!
Current Oxford student here just wishing you GOOD LUCK for A Level results day tomorrow!! I really really hope you all meet your offers and get grades you're proud of.
For those who miss their offers and don't get in - I know it'll be a horrible moment for you, and seeing as I'm one of the lucky ones, it seems easy for me to say that you'll move on from it and have an amazing time at your insurance choice... but you will!! :yes: there are many other incredible unis where you'll fit in just as well, and maybe have a better time than you would have at Oxford. I wish you all the best.
And for those who meet their offers... AHHHH!!! I am SO excited for you! I've just finished my first year and it's been the best year of my life. Oxford is the most amazing place, where you'll study amazing courses, be taught by mad clever people, get involved in more stuff than you ever thought possible, and most importantly, make awesome friends. So start getting excited... Oxford can't wait to meet you! :lovedup:
(PS- if any of you have any qs at all, just quote me or drop me a PM (especially, but not only, if you're going to be doing History or studying at Balliol :smile:)
Just dropping by to say a huge good luck to anyone waiting for A Level results tomorrow! I hope everything turns out fantastically for you all and that I'll be seeing you in October!

If things don't go as planned though, please don't lose hope. I missed my Cambridge offer last year and was distraught initially. I didn't go through clearing despite everyone around me telling me I should. Instead, I had the most amazing year. I worked, got some great experience to add to my CV, I met my best friend and will be travelling with her soon. Cambridge didn't want me last year but I'm currently holding an unconditional offer for Oxford (the better uni anyway, right?)

None of this would have happened if I'd gone to uni last year. Sometimes things fall into place even if they don't seem so great at first.
Best of luck everyone.
Hope everyone gets in :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my insurance; Oxford hasn't updated 😁 But very grateful
Oxford confirmed on UCAS!!! Just collecting my grades now but a feeling of utter, empty relief. Hoping elation will set in later.
Original post by SonOfAGeek
Oxford confirmed on UCAS!!! Just collecting my grades now but a feeling of utter, empty relief. Hoping elation will set in later.

Congrats :smile: :woo: :tongue: yayyy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

For Computer Science, the proportion of missed A level offers was lower than normal. This is based on a fairly small sample, though.

Gavin
Got the grades from the school, and Oxford confirmed on UCAS. And just like someone else said, I genuinely only feel relief for now, that's how bad the whole waiting process was.
Original post by ConfusedBadger
Got the grades from the school, and Oxford confirmed on UCAS. And just like someone else said, I genuinely only feel relief for now, that's how bad the whole waiting process was.

That was me. Just a strange feeling. Relief. Fatigue/drained. I'm hoping the elation kicks in later but for now just slightly in shock I think. Good luck everyone!
I got in! Same as everyone else, just relief really, and looking forward to getting to work and starting there in October. Good luck to everyone still waiting :heart:
Original post by Barbastelle
I got in! Same as everyone else, just relief really, and looking forward to getting to work and starting there in October. Good luck to everyone still waiting :heart:

Fantastic! Really pleased. Roll on October.
Original post by readingblack
I didn't get in. My friends are calling their universities up, is it possible to do the same with Oxford?

btw I don't know what grades I got, just checked ucas

Only just seen this. Hope you rang up the college that made you an offer, and that you may have got lucky :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending