The Student Room Group

I missed both of my offers but still ended up at my firm uni - AMA!!!

Last year in my A Levels I had offers for A*AA at Durham and AAA at York - in my results I got AAB with one A close to an A* and the B close to an A, but Durham wouldn't let me in because I wasn't counted as a near miss. I did get a place at York, but my heart was set on Durham so I got remarks. These went up by a lot and I got a solid A*AA so phoned Durham, but they had given my place away!

I was given deferred entry for next year and put on a waiting list for this year, so decided to take a gap year and declined York. A few days later Durham then phoned me up to say I'd moved up the waiting list!!

I was so happy, so even if you miss your offers there is still hope!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gingerbread101
Last year in my A Levels I had offers for A*AA at Durham and AAA at York - in my results I got AAB with one A close to an A* and the B close to an A, but Durham wouldn't let me in because I wasn't counted as a near miss. I did get a place at York, but my heart was set on Durham so I got remarks. These went up by a lot and I got a solid A*AA so phoned Durham, but they had given my place away!

I was given deferred entry for next year and put on a waiting list for this year, so decided to take a gap year and declined York. A few days later Durham then phoned me up to say I'd moved up the waiting list!!

That must've been frustrating! You would've got in if you got the correct grades at first (A*AA). That's an amazing set of results by the way :hugs:.
:party:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Quizlet
That must've been frustrating! You would've got in if you got the correct marks (A*AA). That's an amazing set of results by the way :hugs:.
:party:

It was very frustrating to think that because of an examiner's mistakes I'd have to take a gap year even though I had got the grades!
Reply 3
It was very frustrating to think that because of an examiner's mistakes I'd have to take a gap year even though I had got the grades!

I just hope that I don't have to request a remark for GCSE results day- I hope the grades I get are the *correct* grades. I'm glad you got the right results in the end!

How long did you have to wait for the remarks to come back? :shock:
Original post by Fox Corner
How long did you have to wait for the remarks to come back? :shock:

I was actually on holiday at the time :eek2: it took just under a week to get them back I think!
Original post by Quizlet
I just hope that I don't have to request a remark for GCSE results day- I hope the grades I get are the *correct* grades. I'm glad you got the right results in the end!

I hope not! Last year only 20% of remark requests went up at A Level so it seems examiners are getting a bit more accurate
Reply 6
I was actually on holiday at the time :eek2: it took just under a week to get them back I think!

I hope not! Last year only 20% of remark requests went up at A Level so it seems examiners are getting a bit more accurate

20% :s-smilie:
That's an alarmingly high amount! I would expect it to be 3-5% maximum. :erm:
Original post by Quizlet
20% :s-smilie:
That's an alarmingly high amount! I would expect it to be 3-5% maximum. :erm:

That's not 20% of all applicants, just 20% of people who put a remark forwards :smile:
Reply 8
That's not 20% of all applicants, just 20% of people who put a remark forwards :smile:

That's what I meant. :lol:
I would expect many of the remarks to stay the same (approx 95%+).
Hey, got my AS results today, some modules seem to be weirdly lower than expected as I was almost sure I had got an A or atleast a B, considering your A levels went up quite a lot do you think I should send my papers off for a remark?
Original post by tamanna___
Hey, got my AS results today, some modules seem to be weirdly lower than expected as I was almost sure I had got an A or atleast a B, considering your A levels went up quite a lot do you think I should send my papers off for a remark?

If they're wildly not what you expect then don't give up hope, I'd definitely go for a review of marks :smile: don't give up :hugs:

I can relate - I didn't lose my place at university but I lost my scholarship (I needed to exceed the entry requirements by 2 grades and I only exceeded it by 1). I got a remark and my paper went up by 2 grades, but the whole experience was really stressful (although probably not as stressful as yours)!
Original post by Edminzodo
I can relate - I didn't lose my place at university but I lost my scholarship (I needed to exceed the entry requirements by 2 grades and I only exceeded it by 1). I got a remark and my paper went up by 2 grades, but the whole experience was really stressful (although probably not as stressful as yours)!

It's always really stressful :frown:

It was made worse for me because I only had 250 minutes of internet to do it with because I was on holiday
What subjects do you do?
Original post by TheGreatImposter
What subjects do you do?

I did English Lit, English Lang and History at A2 and Maths at AS :smile: I'm now at Durham studying Law
Wow the stress must have been unbelievable! so glad it worked out for you in the end :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Wow the stress must have been unbelievable! so glad it worked out for you in the end :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was! But even though it was stressful for a week, it paid off in the end so if anyone this year is having similar problems then they just need to push through :smile:

Just reading that was an emotional roller coaster.

How did you get them remarked?

Quick Reply

Latest