The Student Room Group

Level 3 Diploma in Computing and Information Systems

Hi,

I am going to be studying a level 3 diploma in computing & information systems in September at college and would like to know what this course is like from students who have already completed this course. How is this course assessed? Is it 100% coursework and if so could you show me examples of work so that I know what sort of things I'll be doing.
Reply 1
I've done BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in IT. Seems like there are similar units there.
When I did it, it was 100% coursework, but now I heard they added 2 exams in it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6JDv1QZ5Kh2VGJ5YVdpRjluSXM/view?usp=sharing Here is a link to 1 task in Web Development.
Hope this helps
Reply 2
What sort of equipment were you expected/required to bring in? My college hasn't given me any information and how many hours did you do per day and how many days per week?
Original post by jt1212
What sort of equipment were you expected/required to bring in? My college hasn't given me any information and how many hours did you do per day and how many days per week?

You won't have to bring in anything at all, typically
Reply 4
Original post by LeiPoorGuyAh
You won't have to bring in anything at all, typically

Surely I'd need some sort of equipment?
Original post by jt1212
Surely I'd need some sort of equipment?

A pen to sign the occasional late slip is literally all I can think of. :biggrin:
We did all of our work on the computers.
Reply 6
Original post by LeiPoorGuyAh
A pen to sign the occasional late slip is literally all I can think of. :biggrin:
We did all of our work on the computers.

How many hours per week did you do and what days?
Original post by jt1212
How many hours per week did you do and what days?

First year was 3-4 days, second year was 2-3. Mostly because you could do work at home. Some days would drag on 7 hours until people complained and got it broken up into 4 hour days.
Reply 8
There are a couple of things to consider: if you do a BTEC in say an ex-tech college, it doesn't work like A levels at all. I mean, there are no parent evenings, no reports, no actual DATES to get any specific results. You can get to your last day of the entire thing and be uncertain of how well you did. There are now exams, the results are supposed to come out the day before A levels (which were today) but it's nigh on impossible to access those results, no heading into college to whoop or commiserate with your mates. There are supposed to be exam board logins but you can bet yer arse no one will've given them to you. They post out the certificates in October which is a pain if you wanted to start uni in September, and you'll get pipped to the post with uni and clearing with no result to confirm. I think BTECs could be really good but actually, they can also be a shambles. Make sure you know EXACTLY how you'll be assessed, and on what date your submission is FINAL (and how, and when, you'll get the result!)
There are two new reformed BTEC Nationals for IT/Computing, one is IT, the other is Computing. The Computing one is a lot harder compared to the old BTEC Nationals in IT, you have four external assessments to complete in addition to the coursework units and there is more content to cover for each grade in the assignments, there are also just two large assignments for coursework units. My advice is to buy the books now and start studying.

Unit 1: Principles of Computer Science is an Exam
Unit 2: Fundamentals of Computer Systems is an Exam
Unit 3: Planning and Management of Computing Projects is an Controlled Assessment
Unit 4: Software Design and Development Project is an Controlled Assessment

Don't let this put you off, just letting you know it will be harder compared to the old BTECs.

Books:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Nati...nals+computing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Co...nals+computing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Revision Guide - Pure revision content for Units 1 to 4
Workbook - Revision and practice questions for Units 1 to 4
Student Book - Content for exam and some coursework units

Hope this helps. PLEASE NOTE: This information I have given is for BTEC Nationals Computing, not BTEC Nationals IT. Please check which you are doing before you take it on board.

EDIT*: All books are also available directly from Pearson including an eBook, you may be able to arrange this through your college for a cheaper price. The eBook is included free with the Student Book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending