The Student Room Group

AEA Preparation Thread 30 June 2017

Scroll to see replies

I got 96 marks in AEA what the hell omg 😂 I'm so happy though!!!
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths

Wow nice score, congrats! Smashed it :smile:
What does a D mean on my results slip for AEA? I literally have no clue. I was hungover during the exam so not expecting tbh and doing only one past paper didn;t help either.
Original post by Physics Enemy
Wow nice score, congrats! Smashed it :smile:

Thank you!!
Original post by Cryptokyo
What does a D mean on my results slip for AEA? I literally have no clue. I was hungover during the exam so not expecting tbh and doing only one past paper didn;t help either.

Distinction
Original post by Forecast
Distinction

OMFG!!!! Really?!!!
Original post by Cryptokyo
OMFG!!!! Really?!!!

Yep - well done.
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths

Well done!! But how did you find out your mark?
Original post by Arjunss106
Well done!! But how did you find out your mark?

Thank you :smile: my school had it
I got Distinction too!! Don't know my score though... Congratulations to everyone!!
Reply 150
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
I got Distinction too!! Don't know my score though... Congratulations to everyone!!

Congratulations! How did your A-Levels go? :smile:
Original post by S2M
Congratulations! How did your A-Levels go? :smile:

Thanks!

I just finished Y12 (so going into Y13 this September), and my school didn't get us to sit AS exams for linear subjects, so I don't have official grades for physics/chemistry.
But I did sit full Maths A-level this year too and got A* with 587/600 UMS total (97.8 UMS average). I will be doing FM, Physics and Chemistry A2 next year. :smile:
Reply 152
Thanks!

I just finished Y12 (so going into Y13 this September), and my school didn't get us to sit AS exams for linear subjects, so I don't have official grades for physics/chemistry.
But I did sit full Maths A-level this year too and got A* with 587/600 UMS total (97.8 UMS average). I will be doing FM, Physics and Chemistry A2 next year. :smile:

Oh ok. Well done! :smile: Looking forward to next year? :h:
Original post by S2M
Oh ok. Well done! :smile: Looking forward to next year? :h:

Thanks again! And yeah, it's gonna be pretty intense (or so I am told), but hopefully very rewarding. I'm a bit nervous about Uni applications though (applying to Cambridge for physical natural sciences, and physics at Imperial, Warwick, Southampton, Durham or something along those lines). Hopefully it won't get too stressful though!
Reply 154
Thanks again! And yeah, it's gonna be pretty intense (or so I am told), but hopefully very rewarding. I'm a bit nervous about Uni applications though (applying to Cambridge for physical natural sciences, and physics at Imperial, Warwick, Southampton, Durham or something along those lines). Hopefully it won't get too stressful though!

Yeah, it's going to be hard next year but your hard work will pay off. :smile: University applications will most likely be a pain to be honest but you can definitely do it and succeed next year. :smile:
Thanks!

Great job!

I'm also in year 12 going to year 13 and I got 598/600 for Maths (99.666666.... ums average) and 569/600 for FM (94.833333.. average); I did both early.

Hoping to go to Trinity College, Cambridge to study maths.
Original post by Redcoats
Great job!

I'm also in year 12 going to year 13 and I got 598/600 for Maths (99.666666.... ums average) and 569/600 for FM (94.833333.. average); I did both early.

Hoping to go to Trinity College, Cambridge to study maths.

Wow, those are some amazing scores!! Good luck with that, sounds like you've got a very good chance of getting an offer; just gotta nail interview/STEP now!

Are you gonna do some extra Maths modules next year?
Wow, those are some amazing scores!! Good luck with that, sounds like you've got a very good chance of getting an offer; just gotta nail interview/STEP now!

Are you gonna do some extra Maths modules next year?

Yes, I'll be doing further additional maths, taking M3, M4, M5, S2, S3 and
S4.

Here is the ums breakdown:

C1: 98/100
C2: 100/100
C3: 100/100
C4: 100/100
FP1: 100/100
FP2: 100/100
FP3: 100/100
S1: 100/100
M1: 100/100
M2: 82/100
D1: 100/100
D2: 87/100

97.25 ums average over all

I got a Merit in the AEA however (ran out of time) but Cambridge don't need to know about
Original post by Redcoats
Yes, I'll be doing further additional maths, taking M3, M4, M5, S2, S3 and
S4.

Here is the ums breakdown:

C1: 98/100
C2: 100/100
C3: 100/100
C4: 100/100
FP1: 100/100
FP2: 100/100
FP3: 100/100
S1: 100/100
M1: 100/100
M2: 82/100
D1: 100/100
D2: 87/100

97.25 ums average over all

I got a Merit in the AEA however (ran out of time) but Cambridge don't need to know about

Ah cool. I'm planning on taking FP1/2/3 and M2/3/4 and/or S2 for FM next year (might do more than 6 modules, I'll see how useful/interesting/time consuming they are).

My module UMS break down was:
C1: 95/100 (looks like we both made mistakes in C1)
C2/C3/C4/M1: 100/100
S1: 92/100

So again, 587 total / 97.8 average.

Unlucky for merit, though that's still a very good score considering it's aimed at top 10% of A-level students and over 50% who sit AEA get "unclassified". However, someone on this thread previously informed me that you HAVE to declare your AEA grade, even if you got "unclassified", because UCAS policy is that you have to declare all qualifications and AEA is a qualification. You'd have to look into that more / see what your sixth form says.

I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem anyway, since they interview most applicants, and at interview you can show them your maths problem-solving ability.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ah cool. I'm planning on taking FP1/2/3 and M2/3/4 and/or S2 for FM next year (might do more than 6 modules, I'll see how useful/interesting/time consuming they are).

My module UMS break down was:
C1: 95/100 (looks like we both made mistakes in C1)
C2/C3/C4/M1: 100/100
S1: 92/100

So again, 587 total / 97.8 average.

Unlucky for merit, though that's still a very good score considering it's aimed at top 10% of A-level students and over 50% who sit AEA get "unclassified". However, someone on this thread previously informed me that you HAVE to declare your AEA grade, even if you got "unclassified", because UCAS policy is that you have to declare all qualifications and AEA is a qualification. You'd have to look into that more / see what your sixth form says.

I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem anyway, since they interview most applicants, and at interview you can show them your maths problem-solving ability.

Nice scores. Are mine ok for Trinity?

Do you think putting the merit down will disadvantage me?

What college are you going to apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending