The Student Room Group

Missed firm choice, can I go through adjustment to get better than insurance?

Ok so my firm offer was A*AA and I got A*AB (missed it by 3 ums), this was better than my insurance which was AAB, however I've been looking at courses that are AAA which I prefer, can I go through adjustment to get them? I am happy to go to my insurance if I don't get anywhere.
Original post by nellythumper
Ok so my firm offer was A*AA and I got A*AB (missed it by 3 ums), this was better than my insurance which was AAB, however I've been looking at courses that are AAA which I prefer, can I go through adjustment to get them? I am happy to go to my insurance if I don't get anywhere.

No, Adjustment is specifically who those have met and exceeded their Firm.

You can only use adjustment if you meet and exceed your FIRM offer.

If you're accepted by your insurance then you could ask to be placed into clearing (this means giving up your insurance - sometimes they'll be able to let you know if you can come back if you have no luck).
Does this mean that to get a better uni, I would have to give up my insurance? If so, can I organise a clearing offer before I ask for my insurance to be withdrawn?

Hi there,

Congratulations on your results! :h:

Adjustment is usually allowed if you have got into your firm and then you're eligible to apply and check out any other universities that ask for AAA and are better courses than your firm offer.
You get 5 working days to look for courses, and during this time your firm offer will stay put (i.e. - you won't lose it unless you choose another course through adjustment), if after 5 days you don't find a good enough course at another uni then you'll go to your original firm choice.

Have you tried calling up your firm choice to see if they can negotiate your offer and still let you in because you were so close?
(edited 6 years ago)
Does this mean that to get a better uni, I would have to give up my insurance? If so, can I organise a clearing offer before I ask for my insurance to be withdrawn?

You can ask them and get confirmation, but you can't accept the offer until you get put into Clearing.
Original post by Lovinlife2
Hi there,

Congratulations on your results! :h:

Adjustment is usually allowed if you have got into your firm and then you're eligible to apply and check out any other universities that ask for AAA and are better courses than your firm offer.
You get 5 working days to look for courses, and during this time your firm offer will stay put (i.e. - you won't lose it unless you choose another course through adjustment), if after 5 days you don't find a good enough course at another uni then you'll go to your original firm choice.

Have you tried calling up your firm choice to see if they can negotiate your offer and still let you in because you were so close?

I did ring them and they said that they had made a decision but they couldn't tell me what it was over the phone so I have to wait until 1pm for track to update. I don't hold out much hope however as some of my friends missed their grades and got rejected.
Original post by CastCuraga
You can ask them and get confirmation, but you can't accept the offer until you get put into Clearing.

Ok, so at least I won't be withdrawing my application with the possibility of ending up nowhere. Thank you

Hi @nellythumper,

Hope you don't mind me answering this for you! In order to go into Adjustment, you need to have exceeded the grades of the offer that your firm choice had made you. So, if you haven't got the grades for your firm choice then I'm afraid you can't go through Adjustment. You can find out more about how Adjustment works here.

However, you can go through Clearing to get a place on your preferred course. If you wish to do this, you should first contact other unis in Clearing who are offering courses that you are interested in to see if they would accept you. Each uni should have an up to date list of courses that are in Clearing on their website. If you do decide you want to apply to a course through Clearing, you should then contact your insurance choice to ask them to release you into Clearing. You can find more info about Clearing here.

Personally, if you're happy enough with your insurance uni then it might not be worth the risk of going into Clearing, but this is up to you to decide :smile:

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi @nellythumper,

Hope you don't mind me answering this for you! In order to go into Adjustment, you need to have exceeded the grades of the offer that your firm choice had made you. So, if you haven't got the grades for your firm choice then I'm afraid you can't go through Adjustment. You can find out more about how Adjustment works here.

However, you can go through Clearing to get a place on your preferred course. If you wish to do this, you should first contact other unis in Clearing who are offering courses that you are interested in to see if they would accept you. Each uni should have an up to date list of courses that are in Clearing on their website. If you do decide you want to apply to a course through Clearing, you should then contact your insurance choice to ask them to release you into Clearing. You can find more info about Clearing here.

Personally, if you're happy enough with your insurance uni then it might not be worth the risk of going into Clearing, but this is up to you to decide :smile:

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley

Thank you for the reply, I won't enter clearing unless I get an offer from a better uni over the phone so hopefully it shouldn't be much of a risk.
I did ring them and they said that they had made a decision but they couldn't tell me what it was over the phone so I have to wait until 1pm for track to update. I don't hold out much hope however as some of my friends missed their grades and got rejected.

That is rather odd...I was told outright what the decision was while on the phone while I was using Clearing just this morning! It might be a uni-specific thing...

Ok, so at least I won't be withdrawing my application with the possibility of ending up nowhere. Thank you

Provided you act quickly, no you should be fine. If they say they'll give you an offer over an email or something that means "if you apply we'll accept you", not a firm guarantee that they'll take you if there aren't enough places. But the odds of that are very low, unless it's a massively competitive course.

If that did happen you would need to use Clearing and find somewhere within the next few days.
Original post by CastCuraga
That is rather odd...I was told outright what the decision was while on the phone while I was using Clearing just this morning! It might be a uni-specific thing...

Yeah, I don't think Durham is as equipped to deal with results day as other unis because their phone lines were very poor quality and took forever to get through.
Thank you for the reply, I won't enter clearing unless I get an offer from a better uni over the phone so hopefully it shouldn't be much of a risk.

Good shout - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley

Hi!

Congratulations on your great results! :smile:

You would need to go through Clearing now to find a course you want to go for. We would recommend getting in touch with the universities through their Clearing lines as soon as possible.

Here at Bradford, we're able to offer places through direct messages! Get in touch if you want to chat :smile:

Maq :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending