The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Only just seen this. Hope you rang up the college that made you an offer, and that you may have got lucky :yes:

heres the situation: I got AAB - B in history (a*,a*,a and d for my modules). Im a mark off an A so my teacher and I requested a remark for two of my history papers. I only need one mark to meet Oxford's offer (AAA). I called up the college and they told me if the remark bumps up my grade to an A, they would be obliged to take me in.
But I've heard that examiners who remark won't be giving out marks just for too generously anymore.
Is it likely that I will get the A.
I'll get notified of my new grade tomorrow.
Original post by readingblack
heres the situation: I got AAB - B in history (a*,a*,a and d for my modules). Im a mark off an A so my teacher and I requested a remark for two of my history papers. I only need one mark to meet Oxford's offer (AAA). I called up the college and they told me if the remark bumps up my grade to an A, they would be obliged to take me in.
But I've heard that examiners who remark won't be giving out marks just for too generously anymore.
Is it likely that I will get the A.
I'll get notified of my new grade tomorrow.

I'm afraid I've no idea whether it's likely you'll get the A or not - I'm not an examiner and it's 10 years since I did A2, and a lot has changed in that time. Crossing my fingers for you :hugs:
Is there anyone else here with an SPC offer? Have you heard anything from the college? I haven't had a confirmation letter or a reading list or anything.
Met my offer, drained as all hell, ready to slog my way through the paperwork and get re-energised for October.
I think that's fairly normal, I'll be studying Physics at St Edmund Hall and haven't been e-mailed yet.
Original post by felecita
Just dropping by to say a huge good luck to anyone waiting for A Level results tomorrow! I hope everything turns out fantastically for you all and that I'll be seeing you in October!

If things don't go as planned though, please don't lose hope. I missed my Cambridge offer last year and was distraught initially. I didn't go through clearing despite everyone around me telling me I should. Instead, I had the most amazing year. I worked, got some great experience to add to my CV, I met my best friend and will be travelling with her soon. Cambridge didn't want me last year but I'm currently holding an unconditional offer for Oxford (the better uni anyway, right?)

None of this would have happened if I'd gone to uni last year. Sometimes things fall into place even if they don't seem so great at first.

Congratulations on your place!

My friend has attained A*AA at A Level and is considering a post A Level application for Human Sciences. Although their grades exceed the standard offer, they think A*AA may not be competitive enough for Oxford. Human Sciences has the TSA as part of the application process. They attended a state comprehensive for GCSE and did well, but were at a grammar for A Level. I wondered if any of your experiences might help inform them.
Original post by Coolibah

My friend has attained A*AA at A Level and is considering a post A Level application for Human Sciences. Although their grades exceed the standard offer, they think A*AA may not be competitive enough for Oxford. Human Sciences has the TSA as part of the application process. They attended a state comprehensive for GCSE and did well, but were at a grammar for A Level. I wondered if any of your experiences might help inform them.

The standard offer for Human Sciences is AAA (Maths and/or Biology are an advantage but not a requirement).

We can't see why your friend would not be considered with these grades. In passing, the perception that others are better qualified is - according to UCAS - one of the most significant perception barriers to students accessing Russell Group universities.
Hi BrasenoseAdm,Thanks for this - I'll pass it on to my friend. They studied Maths, Biology and Geography - with the A* in Biology.
Hey guys!
My college just sent me few maths and physics problems I need to solve before I start my course.
I'm an international student so I don't know how things work in UK so I just wanted if we're supposed to solve it on our laptops or on paper.
Also, can someone tell me, in general, if most of our course work is done through the medium of paper or digitally on laptops.
Thank you.
Original post by blehxxx
Hey guys!
My college just sent me few maths and physics problems I need to solve before I start my course.
I'm an international student so I don't know how things work in UK so I just wanted if we're supposed to solve it on our laptops or on paper.
Also, can someone tell me, in general, if most of our course work is done through the medium of paper or digitally on laptops.
Thank you.

Which college are you in? i still haven't received any problems or a summer reading list.
Original post by blehxxx
Hey guys!
Thank you.

My math problems are to be returned by post or email, so I'm doing them on paper.

A*AA is fine, I got an interview for Human Sciences with AAA equivalent- I did the IB (although I didn't get in eventually, the applicant feedback said my scores where competitive)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by wolfmoon88
A*AA is fine, I got an interview for Human Sciences with AAA equivalent- I did the IB (although I didn't get in eventually, the applicant feedback said my scores where competitive)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'll pass this on. Where are you going?
Thanks! I'll pass this on. Where are you going?

University of St Andrews :smile:

I'm glad you got into St Andrews after all!! :hugs: My friend had a great time there, I'm sure you will enjoy it also :smile:
Original post by auburnstar
I'm glad you got into St Andrews after all!! :hugs: My friend had a great time there, I'm sure you will enjoy it also :smile:

:hugs: Thank you :smile: I hope I'll have a great time there too :tongue:

That's brilliant!
That's brilliant!

Thanks man, say good luck to your friend for me :smile:
Reply 518
Original post by blehxxx
Hey guys!
Thank you.

Are you a physics student? If so (or any non-essay subject), virtually all of your work - bar a few lab reports and some computing - will be done on paper, and the majority of tutors expect physical copies handed in.
Guys this is very important... do they put on musicals at Oxford ?? And how easily can I get involved and what about the Oxford girl accapella group is there a possible way for me to join?? I got in to Worcester if that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending