The Student Room Group

AEA Preparation Thread 30 June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redcoats
Nice scores. Are mine ok for Trinity?

Do you think putting the merit down will disadvantage me?

What college are you going to apply to?

I don't know any more than you do, but Trinity is a very competitive college for Maths. Nevertheless, 97+ UMS average with lots of 100 UMS sounds very competitive. From what I've heard, they don't really care that much about D modules, and the 82 UMS in M2 may be a cause for concern. But I've also heard that Cambridge know that even the best candidates have bad days, so I wouldn't worry too much as you've shown that you are capable of top grades in 10 other modules.

There's no harm in applying, and if you're a Cambridge-worthy applicant but Trinity is full, then you'll just get pooled to another college. All the colleges are equally good for each subject since you are taught mainly by the department, not the college, so I wouldn't worry about being pooled (at least that is the general consensus).

------
UCAS policy is that you must declare all qualifications, even failed and pending ones, or else you risk disqualifying your application: https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration

And so it looks like you have to declare AEA; there's no choice. This page: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/AEA says: "However, it is worth noting that if a student gets a U in the AEA (which counts as failing the AEA), it must still be declared on the UCAS application form."

Again, I don't really know anything that you don't, but I wouldn't worry about AEA Merit in Year 12 since it shows initiative, ability and passion in maths. Furthermore, all strong applicants (like yourself) get an interview where admissions tutors will really get to assess your compatibility with Cambridge. Apparently, a decent proportion of candidates are given offers. Then you will have to meet your STEP offer, which is the ultimate test and the final hurdle where apparently up to 50% of offers fail. I would be more worried about this than anything else.

It may be worth asking on this thread, as you will get more knowledgeable advice from current/past Cambridge students/DoS's: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165#primary_content

------
I'll be applying for physical Natural Sciences, probably at Corpus Christi college.
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
I don't know any more than you do, but Trinity is a very competitive college for Maths. Nevertheless, 97+ UMS average with lots of 100 UMS sounds very competitive. From what I've heard, they don't really care that much about D modules, and the 82 UMS in M2 may be a cause for concern. But I've also heard that Cambridge know that even the best candidates have bad days, so I wouldn't worry too much as you've shown that you are capable of top grades in 10 other modules.

There's no harm in applying, and if you're a Cambridge-worthy applicant but Trinity is full, then you'll just get pooled to another college. All the colleges are equally good for each subject since you are taught mainly by the department, not the college, so I wouldn't worry about being pooled (at least that is the general consensus).

------
UCAS policy is that you must declare all qualifications, even failed and pending ones, or else you risk disqualifying your application: https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration

And so it looks like you have to declare AEA; there's no choice. This page: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/AEA says: "However, it is worth noting that if a student gets a U in the AEA (which counts as failing the AEA), it must still be declared on the UCAS application form."

Again, I don't really know anything that you don't, but I wouldn't worry about AEA Merit in Year 12 since it shows initiative, ability and passion in maths. Furthermore, all strong applicants (like yourself) get an interview where admissions tutors will really get to assess your compatibility with Cambridge. Apparently, a decent proportion of candidates are given offers. Then you will have to meet your STEP offer, which is the ultimate test and the final hurdle where apparently up to 50% of offers fail. I would be more worried about this than anything else.

It may be worth asking on this thread, as you will get more knowledgeable advice from current/past Cambridge students/DoS's: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3528165#primary_content

------
I'll be applying for physical Natural Sciences, probably at Corpus Christi college.

Thank you very much.

See you in Cambridge hopefully (though you'll probably get in and I won't)
Thank you very much.

See you in Cambridge hopefully (though you'll probably get in and I won't)

No worries!

I'm not so sure about "getting in" myself, but thanks for the vote of confidence. Hopefully see you there!
Do you think putting the AEA merit down will disadvantage me?

I don't think not putting it down is a good idea. Not because I believe conspiracies about disqualification (or being whisked off to Guantanamo), but because it's still a useful result, IF you got a high mark and declare it (ask your exams officer for it).

A few patchy module scores is probs worse, but again few people are perfect. Ofc you're applying to Trinity, it's as competitive as it gets.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Physics Enemy
I don't think not putting it down is a good idea. Not because I believe conspiracies about disqualification (or being whisked off to Guantanamo), but because it's still a useful result, IF you got a high mark and declare it (ask your exams officer for it).

A few patchy module scores is probs worse, but again few people are perfect. Ofc you're applying to Trinity, it's as competitive as it gets.

Think I've got a good chance given my UMS scores?
Think I've got a good chance given my UMS scores?

Dunno about 'good', competitive is the right word. On closer look it's just your M2 that's iffy. If you're doing well in Physics, may help a bit. But find out your AEA mark and if it's high, include it.

Worth bearing in mind getting in usually boils down to STEP 3; the best tripos indicator. This is a hard exam with 'low' boundaries, so it's quite different to AEA.

There are IMO/BMO/STEP people who may not hit very high marks in the easier exams, but when the maths gets hard, they're the ones who can hack it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Not because I believe conspiracies about disqualification

Sorry, but are you saying that you're allowed to omit AEA from UCAS...? UCAS would disagree: https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration,

"If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results

given false or misleading information

we may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties, including universities, colleges and examination and awarding bodies whether the information you have provided is accurate or complete.
We have the right to cancel your application without refunding your application fee if we determine (having carried out any necessary checks), or have reasonable belief, that your application contains false information." (emphasis mine)

as does this page on TSR: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/AEA

"However, it is worth noting that if a student gets a U in the AEA (which counts as failing the AEA), it must still be declared on the UCAS application form." (emphasis mine)

May I ask, how is this a conspiracy? Or am I misunderstanding?

Great advice in the rest of the post btw, just want to clear this point up :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Was talking about in-practise, why people/schools often omit stuff without worry. There's a difference between lying vs not disclosing. Be aware there are laws on data privacy etc hence they request your info.

Ultimately if virtually nobody ever faced 'trouble' when not declaring an AEA, there's no reason to fret. Note my advice was the opposite (due to high raw mark).

I'm out of rep but congrats on your results btw! Maybe worth (or required) finding your AEA mark for Cam too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Was talking about in-practise, why people/schools often omit stuff without worry. There's a difference between lying vs not disclosing. Be aware there are laws on data privacy etc hence they request your info.

Ultimately if virtually nobody ever faced 'trouble' when not declaring an AEA, there's no reason to fret. Note my advice was the opposite (due to high raw mark).

I'm out of rep but congrats on your results btw! Maybe worth (or required) finding your AEA mark for Cam too.

Ah okay, I see what you mean. That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up. And yeah, I agree that they should mention their AEA mark either way.

Thanks! I'll email my exams officer for the mark.

Likewise the reverse (in life generally) applies; things may not be stated or stated as ok, in reality you're probs screwed if you don't take heed. e.g) Further Maths, doing maths comps early, etc.

You may read or be told otherwise but reality/stats speak for itself. Note ucas wording is caveated e.g) 'we may', 'if relevant', 'reason to believe' etc.

RE the AEA, used to be 65-70% failed, that's steadily come down to 55-60% (barring freak stats in 2012 when boundary should've been 80+ instead of 75).

So yes it's an achievement to pass, and in percentile terms even moreso if you get a strong mark.

Some have a skewed perception due to TSR. Even on TSR 'back in the day', loads failed/struggled. Fewer sit the AEA now (distinction required / trend?), TSR is less popular now among non-crazily-able (stem) students.

Original post by Arjunss106
How do you find out your mark?

Your school's Exams Officer ...
(edited 6 years ago)
Got a Distinction in AEA Maths. I only did like one past paper in the last week as well lol.

Also got an A* in Additional Further Maths (M3, M4, M5, S4, D1, D2) :smile:. Did anyone here do AFM?
Likewise the reverse (in life generally) applies; things may not be stated or may be stated as ok, but in reality you're likely screwed if you don't take heed. e.g) Further Maths, doing maths competitions early, etc. You may read or get told otherwise but reality/stats speak for themselves. Also note ucas wording is caveated e.g) 'we may', 'if relevant', 'reason to believe' etc.

Btw, I forgot to comment on a point you made RE the AEA. It used to be 65-70% failed, that's steadily come down to 55-60% (barring freak stats in 2012 when the boundary should've been 80+ instead of 75). So yes it's an achievement to pass, and in percentile terms even moreso if you get a strong mark.

Some of you have a skewed perception due to TSR. Even on TSR 'back in the day', loads failed/struggled. Fewer people sit the AEA now (due to distinction requirement? And/or trend?) and TSR is proportionately less popular now amongst non-freakishly-able (maths/science) students.

Yeah, that's not something I'd really considered before, but it does seem true.

I got an email back from my head of maths saying I got 95/100 in AEA! I'm shocked! I was expecting to barely scrape the distinction, but wow... (ok, not quite as good as someone else on this thread, but still well above the distinction boundary).

And this summer I've found myself doing more maths than anything else*. I've especially been doing some more proofy type stuff, like BMO1 questions and actually really enjoying them. I don't know, but I might want to apply for Maths now...

At the same time, I do really enjoy physics and chemistry, and I think I would miss chemistry if I didn't do Natsci. And yes, I do enjoy chemistry practicals at school (not so much physics ones), though tbf 3 hour+ labs doesn't seem incredibly appealing. I got invited to a free chemistry residential at Cambridge for getting top 50 in the "Cambridge Chemistry Challenge" L6 paper; it takes place in two weeks, and I'll use that to gauge how much I really do (or don't) like University-style chemistry (or so I hope).

I'm gonna have to mull it over before committing, especially since STEP is such a big hurdle. Anyway, thanks for reading. :smile:

*(well, anything else academic: ofc I've gone out running/swimming, done lots of music stuff etc...)
Original post by Student_2357
Got a Distinction in AEA Maths. I only did like one past paper in the last week as well lol.

Also got an A* in Additional Further Maths (M3, M4, M5, S4, D1, D2) :smile:. Did anyone here do AFM?

Some stats from Graham at Edexcel:
"In Olympic news, the gold this year went to the student who achieved a UMS mark of 1768 out of a maximum possible 1800 across Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Further Mathematics (Additional) Silver went to the student on 1766, narrowly edging the student with a score of 1765 into the bronze medal position. "
Original post by tiny hobbit
Some stats from Graham at Edexcel:
"In Olympic news, the gold this year went to the student who achieved a UMS mark of 1768 out of a maximum possible 1800 across Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Further Mathematics (Additional) Silver went to the student on 1766, narrowly edging the student with a score of 1765 into the bronze medal position. "

I never knew Edexcel offered these awards. I did maths and further maths with AQA and we never had anything like that. I think I got 1994/1200 overall for maths and further maths

Both you and Lauren did amazingly well, 95 and 96. :eek: Plus other results from the pair of you. Tbh from the vibe/discussion I thought you both would get ~ 80ish.

Think carefully RE degree you really want to do. I've posted truths about what physics entails, feel free to read. Pick unis wisely e.g) Imperial's marmite/disliked.

You could consider applying for Maths & Physics at Cam? After 1st year you transfer to straight Maths or Phys Nat Sci. You need to do STEP 2/3, but they typically accept 22 or 13 (and deffo 12).
(edited 6 years ago)

You could consider applying for Maths & Physics at Cam? After 1st year you transfer to straight Maths or Phys Nat Sci. You need to do STEP 2/3, but they typically accept 22 or 13 (and deffo 12).

That is an ever more appealing option, though I would still miss organic chemistry... at the same time, while I enjoy half hour A-level practicals, I'm not sure I would necessarily find weekly 2+ hour labs and writing lab reports particularly amusing...

Thanks for the advice; I'm gonna think about it some more but Maths and Physics is looking like the favourite, at least at the moment.
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I never knew Edexcel offered these awards. I did maths and further maths with AQA and we never had anything like that. I think I got 1994/1200 overall for maths and further maths

I think they are only virtual awards. There were 6 who got 1200/1200 for Maths and FM.

I found out that I got 75/100 in the AEA. Is that worth declaring?

Yes, solid mark, well done. 'Merit - 75/100' is better than pretending you didn't do AEA/STEP I (when many have). You'll get the certificate soon.

If someone failed the AEA, I'd obv say don't declare it. And if they scraped a Merit, I'd say it's worth declaring but don't mention the mark unless you must. IMO.
(edited 6 years ago)

Also where is it declared, is there a way to put it on the SAQ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending