The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge full of lefties?

I have quite strongly right wing political beliefs and am an old fashioned, patriotic person. I don't want to debate whether my views are correct or not (we all have valid arguments) but is Cambridge (or uni in general) a very left wing place? I don't spout my views all the time but I do get irritated by excessive PC culture, feminism etc. Would I just be unhappy in the political climate at Cambridge? I know there are some Tories but I'm not really a fan of the free market and excessive capitalism so I can hardly fangirl over Thatcher with them.

Scroll to see replies

All universities are.
All unis there's quite a lot, but mostly in oxbridge.
nintchdbpict000300440402.jpg

I think you'll be fine...
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check

Who's in the pic? And there was me thinking uni was about broadening horizons, new experiences and challenging oneself.😜
Original post by 210555
Who's in the pic? And there was me thinking uni was about broadening horizons, new experiences and challenging oneself.😜

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2831910/ronald-coyne-cambridge-university-set-fire-20-note-nicola-sturgeon/

It's the Sun, but the story is the same. He became famous early this year, for all the wrong reasons.
Reply 6
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2831910/ronald-coyne-cambridge-university-set-fire-20-note-nicola-sturgeon/

It's the Sun, but the story is the same. He became famous early this year, for all the wrong reasons.

Yup I remember now. I'm sure the Op will do very nicely at interview 😜
Reply 7

Shush, we're not all that bad
Reply 8
Anyone from Cambridge have anything to say about their experiences?
Original post by manchuria
Shush, we're not all that bad

If you're from Pembroke, then I can confirm your June Event is one of the best.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Forecast
All universities are.

Not really, no. Universities aren't 80s-sitcom politically-correct honeypots full of little Trotskyites learning Critical TV Studies. SU politics are often skewed towards the left, so they might make it a bit more visible, but mostly it's a cross-section of the 18-21 year old, middle-class population who largely couldn't give a toss about politics.

But hey, reds under the bed, amirite?
(edited 6 years ago)

:rofl: and PRSOM!

And OP, I'm not at Cambridge but Oxford, but I assume it's similar. You will definitely find people similar to you at university, no matter what your political beliefs are. But most people don't judge/care about your political beliefs as long as you don't shove them down everyone's throat (goes for left and right wing). Universities in general are biased towards the left wing, but at Cambridge if you apply for one of the older, more traditional colleges you should be fine :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks for your replies, guys, hopefully you're right and I'll be saved from the red peril
I have quite strongly right wing political beliefs and am an old fashioned, patriotic person. I don't want to debate whether my views are correct or not (we all have valid arguments) but is Cambridge (or uni in general) a very left wing place? I don't spout my views all the time but I do get irritated by excessive PC culture, feminism etc. Would I just be unhappy in the political climate at Cambridge? I know there are some Tories but I'm not really a fan of the free market and excessive capitalism so I can hardly fangirl over Thatcher with them.

Yes Cambridge is very left wing. But all universities are. So it's unavoidable unfortunately.

Pretty much every University aside from the Royal Agricultural College in Gloucester is going to be a bit uncomfortable for you. There are certainly Tories and a Conservative Society at Cambridge, but in my experience university Tories tend to be less like Tories and more like Right-Liberals, if you're looking for neoconservatives like Douglas Murray or Louise Mensch, or traditionalists who like Peter Hitchens and Roger Scruton, you'll not have much luck.

To be frank, outside of thinktanks and Reddit forums like r/UKpolitics, those people don't really exist. If you've religious beliefs, you might have it easier to find people with your values, since every university has societies for different faith groups. I plan on joining the Muslim society when I start university, so I can find people who see eye to eye with me.

Lmao
Thanks for your replies, guys, hopefully you're right and I'll be saved from the red peril

If you blather on about 'red peril' you'll find that people outside of /pol/ and Reddit don't like you very much. The reason for that is because it's a bizarre thing to say, it makes you seem weird.
At Cambridge right now (Homerton to be exact). There are people with a range of views, but the ones running for positions in the Cambridge Union have more left wing views (and other views I would call “elitist”). The most vocal ones have these views for some reason, and there is an air of reluctance to respond to these people, and they will call you ableist, racist, bigot etc. if you disagree.
Everyone normal is too busy doing work to care. You should be too.
That well-known right winger Diane Abbott went to Cambridge!

Latest

Trending

Trending