The Student Room Group

Help! - How are AS + A2 Level marks added together?

Can someone clarify how AS and A2 Level marks are added together? So, if, for example you get a C in your AS Level and a B in your A2 Level, what would the overall mark be?

And another question: do you usually do better in your A2 Levels than your AS Levels? Someone told me that's usually the case (which reassures me a bit!) but I'm not sure.

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends purely on what your UMS marks are, not what your grades are. The grades are not added together per se but the marks are. They are added together so that both AS and A2 have equal weighting.
Reply 2
If your A level is 600 UMS overall, there's 300 for AS and 300 for A2. For an A, I think you need 420 overall and so on down the grades.

If your A level is 400, then there's 200 for each year. Same thing as above.

I did better in A2.
Reply 3
:facepalm: Good luck with that B, you'll need it.
Reply 4
It depends on your percentages...
For the average exam, 80%+ constitutes an A grade, 70-80% a B, and 60-70% a C etc.
So, add your AS and A2 percentages together and divide by two. If you got a low C (60%) in AS and a low B(70%) in A2, you'll get a mid C overall (65%).

A2 exams are more difficult than AS, not easier... the only reason that people do improve is because they buck their ideas up.

I think this is correct, I don't really understand what UMS means sadly.
Reply 5
I'm confused. So my daughter's doing AS levels in Home Economics, Health & Social Single and Health & Social Double in 2016. She is doing A level Biology in 2017 - but no AS level this year.

Say she gets C's in all her three AS's and D's in four A2's.

How many UCAS points is that? And she has to drop one subject. I do not understand. Does she add AS and A2 results and divide by two?
Reply 6
Original post by vrm99
I'm confused. So my daughter's doing AS levels in Home Economics, Health & Social Single and Health & Social Double in 2016. She is doing A level Biology in 2017 - but no AS level this year.

Say she gets C's in all her three AS's and D's in four A2's.

How many UCAS points is that? And she has to drop one subject. I do not understand. Does she add AS and A2 results and divide by two?

You only count the UCAS points at AS if you don't also have the subject at A level. The system is changing for people starting university from 2017 so take what people say here with a pinch of salt as they may not know that. The details of the new system are all here: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-and-resources/tariff-2017
Reply 7
Thank you. So it seems that her AS levels don't really count if she continues to A level.

It seems much easier to count the points from the A2 grade. Thank you also for the link.
Original post by PJ991
If your A level is 600 UMS overall, there's 300 for AS and 300 for A2. For an A, I think you need 420 overall and so on down the grades.

If your A level is 400, then there's 200 for each year. Same thing as above.

I did better in A2.

Hey I'm also a bit confused about this. So in order to get an A, I need to get 80% OVERALL correct?As in 80% x 600= 480 total? For example in AS Physics I have a 286/300. This would mean that I would need a 480-286=194, as in, a C at A2 Physics, to get an A overall? Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by TheMadHatteress
Hey I'm also a bit confused about this. So in order to get an A, I need to get 80% OVERALL correct?As in 80% x 600= 480 total? For example in AS Physics I have a 286/300. This would mean that I would need a 480-286=194, as in, a C at A2 Physics, to get an A overall? Thank you!

Yes.
Reply 10
Ok, so i did my as this year for bio chem and phy. I got A in chem and physics, but a b in bio. I dont know the UMS yet, but is there any chance i can get an A* for my final ALevel grade? You can use imaginary numbers to explain how well i need to do in A2, but im expecting a high B, as im fairly sure I did well.
Original post by Mac2099
Ok, so i did my as this year for bio chem and phy. I got A in chem and physics, but a b in bio. I dont know the UMS yet, but is there any chance i can get an A* for my final ALevel grade? You can use imaginary numbers to explain how well i need to do in A2, but im expecting a high B, as im fairly sure I did well.

Are these actual CIE International AS level results or your guess from Edexcel international A levels or English A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by gdunne42
Are these actual CIE International AS level results or your guess from Edexcel international A levels or English A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

CIE results. I got my UMS, and its 97/100 for physics, 90/100 for chem and 88/100 for bio
My daughter is crying after she received her AS results today. She got D in Chemistry; B in Biology; B in Math and A in Italian language. She has intention to do medicine. Now she is very confused and does know what to do. She is very clever and had 5 A* and 5 A in her GCSE. I would be grateful if someone could advice her of what she should do since she is very passionate about Medicine. In GCSE Chemistry she had A*.
Reply 14
Original post by K Francis
My daughter is crying after she received her AS results today. She got D in Chemistry; B in Biology; B in Math and A in Italian language. She has intention to do medicine. Now she is very confused and does know what to do. She is very clever and had 5 A* and 5 A in her GCSE. I would be grateful if someone could advice her of what she should do since she is very passionate about Medicine. In GCSE Chemistry she had A*.

Your daughter does not need to be upset. An ABBD at AS level is actually really good as her predicted grades may be A*AAB (just guessing!), i'm not too sure what the entry requirements are for medicine, but regardless, she still has a chance to improve in year 13 :smile:
Original post by Angxla
Your daughter does not need to be upset. An ABBD at AS level is actually really good as her predicted grades may be A*AAB (just guessing!), i'm not too sure what the entry requirements are for medicine, but regardless, she still has a chance to improve in year 13 :smile:

Thank you. My daughter's fear is that her School might not allow her to under take Chemistry in 2A since AS exams she got D in Chemistry.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you. My daughter's fear is that her School might not allow her to under take Chemistry in 2A since AS exams she got D in Chemistry.

It depends on the school's own policy - some schools require a C but the majority only require a D or even lower so she needs to ask her school.
Original post by Compost
It depends on the school's own policy - some schools require a C but the majority only require a D or even lower so she needs to ask her school.

Her school - St Michael Grammar - has refused her from doing Chemistry, because of her a D result. However, she is allowed to continue with Biology, Math and Italian language, but my daughter does not want to continue with Math, but chemistry. Please I need your advice
Her school - St Michael Grammar - has refused her from doing Chemistry, because of her a D result. However, she is allowed to continue with Biology, Math and Italian language, but my daughter does not want to continue with Math, but chemistry. Please I need your advice

Have you met with the school to discuss your daughters ambitions and the necessity to study chemistry to achieve them? Have you asked them what she could do to convince them she is capable of success?
Have you discussed with her and the school why she did so poorty in the most important subject from her list and what you as a family can put in place to ensure she makes rapid improvement (e.g. Regular work with a private tutor)?
In order to do medicine, biology and chemistry is a must. And a third subject is also required. I'm doing physics as my third subject. Mathematics is also alright. You could participate as a private candidate for the exam if the school doesn't allow you. Your results would still come in the same slip as each candidate has a unique candidate number despite where she studies or which school she studies from.

Quick Reply