The Student Room Group

Psychology or Sociology.

So guys, I want to retake year 12 and instead of doing Chemistry, Biology and Maths which I passed I want to do less science-y subjects and take computer science (always a very strong point of mine), English Literature and either Psychology or Sociology.

Which one is better to chose and why? and I would love some tips on what the actual work load is, how learning is and what type of topics you learn and how you found the exams? and what subjects unis prefer?

Many thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

Are you more interested in the individual or the way that the individual makes sense of his/her place in the world?
Reply 2
I find the individual quite interesting,I'm not sure, Im a bit confused about that. I know they are somewhat similar but I would love to know how they differ

Original post by DrSocSciences
Are you more interested in the individual or the way that the individual makes sense of his/her place in the world?

I know you were trying to distinguish between psychology and sociology with the analogy but both are arguably psychological. :laugh:

In terms of which to choose for OP. Both require extensive essay writing skills and critical thinking. I would argue that they both have similar workloads as you are having to learn research and arguments.

It would just depend on your interests really.
Original post by Anonymous
I find the individual quite interesting,I'm not sure, Im a bit confused about that. I know they are somewhat similar but I would love to know how they differ

This is a common myth amongst A level students for some reason. Psychology and sociology are totally different disciplines.
Psychology has a LOT of science. Sociology is far more interesting in my opinion so it makes it easier.
Reply 6
But how would you distinguish between them? Are they subjects that are good for a career in possibly Law? and thank you very much for your help :smile:

Original post by Cubone-r
I know you were trying to distinguish between psychology and sociology with the analogy but both are arguably psychological. :laugh:

In terms of which to choose for OP. Both require extensive essay writing skills and critical thinking. I would argue that they both have similar workloads as you are having to learn research and arguments.

It would just depend on your interests really.
Psychology is not 'less sciencey'
Reply 8
Could you please define the difference, thats what I would love some help with :smile:
This is a common myth amongst A level students for some reason. Psychology and sociology are totally different disciplines.
Reply 9
Thank you :smile:

Original post by MentalHealthN
Psychology has a LOT of science. Sociology is far more interesting in my opinion so it makes it easier.
But I think would enjoy that or sociology more than chemistry and thus do better at it :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Psychology is not 'less sciencey'
I know you were trying to distinguish between psychology and sociology with the analogy but both are arguably psychological.

If only I'd understood the concept of overlapping epistemologies.

OP, as yours is a tactical move, you should investigate the teaching standards and results obtained for the respective subject options.
Thank you for your help :smile: and I think I will do that, I just wanted some 'real' opinions about it lol

If only I'd understood the concept of overlapping epistemologies.

OP, as yours is a tactical move, you should investigate the teaching standards and results obtained for the respective subject options.
But how would you distinguish between them? Are they subjects that are good for a career in possibly Law? and thank you very much for your help :smile:

Psychology is the study of the human mind and behaviour - it encapsulates the study of how humans grow, develop, respond to their environment, and all of the processes that occur throughout these events (as well as many other things). You might study things like human memory, how does our biology affect our behaviour? What are the developmental milestones for children? etc

Whereas sociology is the study of societal structures and how they impact society and individual groups of people. You might study things like the impact of different cultures, social relationships between different groups, how subcultures form, etc.

If your interested in Law, I would suggest psychology would be more suitable, imo. There is a big field within psychology called eyewitness memory (which I currently work in), which seeks to examine how our memory operates when we witness crimes. I know, not really Law, but it has implications for judicial processes and the weight given to eyewitness evidence.
(edited 6 years ago)
I

i would tend to argue that psychology is better for a law degree, but I may just be biased :smile: go on the awarding body website and look at the spec or find the textbook you would be using, and look at the chapters. which is more appealing to you? choose that one
Reply 15
So guys, I want to retake year 12 and instead of doing Chemistry, Biology and Maths which I passed I want to do less science-y subjects and take computer science (always a very strong point of mine), English Literature and either Psychology or Sociology.

Which one is better to chose and why? and I would love some tips on what the actual work load is, how learning is and what type of topics you learn and how you found the exams? and what subjects unis prefer?

Many thanks xx

For Psychology, it's basically lots of short theories, + research studies + evaluation (pros and cons).

The topics in Psychology: Social Influence, Memory, Attachment, Biopsychology, approaches (different viewpoints about human behaviour), Psychopathology (Depression, OCD and Phobias), and research methods.

If you want to do less scienc-y subjects, I'd go for sociology.
I take both of them and I just finished year 12.
The workload I'd say is pretty similar, they both require a lot of essays and a good memory for either studies or key thinkers. Personally I find sociology easier and I find them about as interesting as each other. We learnt both of them in the same kinda way but my college tends to be quite consistent with the way it teaches.
In sociology we covered:
Families and households
Education
Research methods
Methods in context (A mix of research methods and education)
In the second year we cover crime and deviance which may be useful for law
In psychology we covered:
Social influence
Memory
Attachment
Research methods
Approaches
Psychopathology
Thank you soo much, you have been extremely helpful :smile: and I will definitely look into that, seems something I would find interesting!

Psychology is the study of the human mind and behaviour - it encapsulates the study of how humans grow, develop, respond to their environment, and all of the processes that occur throughout these events (as well as many other things). You might study things like human memory, how does our biology affect our behaviour? What are the developmental milestones for children? etc

Whereas sociology is the study of societal structures and how they impact society and individual groups of people. You might study things like the impact of different cultures, social relationships between different groups, how subcultures form, etc.

If your interested in Law, I would suggest psychology would be more suitable, imo. There is a big field within psychology called eyewitness memory (which I currently work in), which seeks to examine how our memory operates when we witness crimes. I know, not really Law, but it has implications for judicial processes and the weight given to eyewitness evidence.
Thank you very much, and I will you that, you have been extremely helpful :smile:
Original post by alicewonderland2
I

i would tend to argue that psychology is better for a law degree, but I may just be biased :smile: go on the awarding body website and look at the spec or find the textbook you would be using, and look at the chapters. which is more appealing to you? choose that one
Wait what about Sociology? You've talked about psychology twice? but thank you soo much :smile:
Original post by Jor64
For Psychology, it's basically lots of short theories, + research studies + evaluation (pros and cons).

The topics in Psychology: Social Influence, Memory, Attachment, Biopsychology, approaches (different viewpoints about human behaviour), Psychopathology (Depression, OCD and Phobias), and research methods.

If you want to do less scienc-y subjects, I'd go for sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest