The Student Room Group

How many exams should i retake?

So i got my AS results for maths back. I got BBD for c1, c2 and m1.
For m1 i got 75 ums, 70 ums for c2 and 54 ums for c1 and C overall. I am hoping to get an A next year with c3, c4 and s1 so wondering if i should retake c1 and c2 both or just c1 and try to get like 90-95 ums to get 240 ums for c1 c2 and m1. I dont want to retake mechanics and dont think i will be able to cope with retaking 2 exams but what do you guys advise? Thanks
Original post by johnny786
For m1 i got 75 ums, 70 ums for c2 and 54 ums for c1 and C overall. I am hoping to get an A next year with c3, c4 and s1 so wondering if i should retake c1 and c2 both or just c1 and try to get like 90-95 ums to get 240 ums for c1 c2 and m1. I dont want to retake mechanics and dont think i will be able to cope with retaking 2 exams but what do you guys advise? Thanks

I think you really need to talk to your maths teacher and see what they advise. That does sound like a lot of work. Did you speak to anyone at college today?
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra
I think you really need to talk to your maths teacher and see what they advise. That does sound like a lot of work. Did you speak to anyone at college today?

nope havent seen them, but yeah alot of work lol
nope havent seen them, but yeah alot of work lol

Catch up with them when you can and see what they say :smile:
I retook both C1 and C2 and with lots of practice over the holidays I managed to learn it all in depth before A2 even started. My teachers told me not to and I proved them wrong by getting 92 and 100 UMS in them.

It's definitely possible but if you retake just one and work your hardest for A2 that should also be enough for an A. Consider though that C3/4 are considerably harder than C1/2 so it might be worth saving your revision time for these two and just retake 1! Depends how determined you are.

What other subjects are you doing?

I'd do C1 again [the resit will be in May] and maybe not C2. I'd have a look at your C2 paper, if Edexcel as that is free, and then be honest - could you really do better? C3 and C4 need a lot of time and you will also need to revise your other subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
What other subjects are you doing?

I'd do C1 again [the resit will be in May] and maybe not C2. I'd have a look at your C2 paper, if Edexcel as that is free, and then be honest - could you really do better? C3 and C4 need a lot of time and you will also need to revise your other subjects.

I am also doing biology and chemistry, so yeah some hard subjects lol
Reply 7

If you're genuinely on for good results in C3 and C4 then C1 & C2 will look like primary school stuff by the time next May comes round so there's nothing to lose by resitting both.

It's a no lose situation (other than the slight extra work but really, C3 & C4 build on C1/2 so you're revising C1/2 every C3/4 lesson you go to!). Even if you get worse results in the resits, your highest score counts.
Original post by TeacherP
If you're genuinely on for good results in C3 and C4 then C1 & C2 will look like primary school stuff by the time next May comes round so there's nothing to lose by resitting both.

It's a no lose situation (other than the slight extra work but really, C3 & C4 build on C1/2 so you're revising C1/2 every C3/4 lesson you go to!). Even if you get worse results in the resits, your highest score counts.

There is now other A levels are terminal - you need to be revising for them.
Reply 9
There is now other A levels are terminal - you need to be revising for them.

Most people find the step up from C1/C2 to C3/C4 about the same as the step from GCSE to C1/2. If the OP finds they're doing well in C3/C4 then C1/C2 will look as easy next May as GCSE looks now.

There shouldn't be a lot of revision to do (except for series, that doesn't come back in C3/C4, but it's only one topic).
Most people find the step up from C1/C2 to C3/C4 about the same as the step from GCSE to C1/2. If the OP finds they're doing well in C3/C4 then C1/C2 will look as easy next May as GCSE looks now.

There shouldn't be a lot of revision to do (except for series, that doesn't come back in C3/C4, but it's only one topic).

It's the revision for the terminal exams not the Maths - very different to when everything was modular.
It's the revision for the terminal exams not the Maths - very different to when everything was modular.

No, I get that. I just don't believe that a good candidate for C3/C4 needs to do more than a couple of hours revision for C1/C2 so resitting them should not be a big distraction.

And maths is still modular - UMS marks scored in AS count just as much as UMS marks scored in A2, so candidates do still have to play that game with maths resits.
No, I get that. I just don't believe that a good candidate for C3/C4 needs to do more than a couple of hours revision for C1/C2 so resitting them should not be a big distraction.

And maths is still modular - UMS marks scored in AS count just as much as UMS marks scored in A2, so candidates do still have to play that game with maths resits.

With those marks I feel C3 and C4 will be difficult for the OP - I teach maths so help students 'play the game' all the time. With the marks posted then I think just C1 is the way to go.
With those marks I feel C3 and C4 will be difficult for the OP - I teach maths so help students 'play the game' all the time. With the marks posted then I think just C1 is the way to go.

I think you're being realistic but the OP did say they expected an A in C3/C4 next year so I was taking them at their word.

Frankly, a lot may change for the OP between now and May 2018 so it's not like a decision is needed today!
I think you're being realistic but the OP did say they expected an A in C3/C4 next year so I was taking them at their word.

Frankly, a lot may change for the OP between now and May 2018 so it's not like a decision is needed today!

They said they were 'hoping' for an A .. a lot of students say that!
Reply 15

This :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest