The Student Room Group

Do we have to put our AS grades in the UCAS application?

Reply 1
Original post by vglmorire

Yes

I would argue it depends:

- If it is an old spec AS such as maths then you have to declare it
- If it is a new spec AS and you are dropping the subject you have to declare it
- If it is a new spec AS which you will carry onto A2 then its up to you.

For my AS last year, I got A - English Lit (new spec) , B - Economics (new spec) B - General studies (old spec) and a D for maths (old spec)

I thought that I had done well so declared all my grades onto UCAS (I dropped maths and picked up Sociology which i got an A in at a level today so that was good)

So, I would argue that if your AS's were bad and you have the ability not to declare them such as new spec history because youre going on to do the full a level, then I wouldnt declare it.

Thats how I done my how UCAS application and now I am going to study at LSE so, I would think there is nothing wrong with how I have done it.

P.S. Sorry for the severe lack of punctuation and poorly paragraphed text lul
Reply 3
Original post by Jerome85
I would argue it depends:

- If it is an old spec AS such as maths then you have to declare it
- If it is a new spec AS and you are dropping the subject you have to declare it
- If it is a new spec AS which you will carry onto A2 then its up to you.

For my AS last year, I got A - English Lit (new spec) , B - Economics (new spec) B - General studies (old spec) and a D for maths (old spec)

I thought that I had done well so declared all my grades onto UCAS (I dropped maths and picked up Sociology which i got an A in at a level today so that was good)

So, I would argue that if your AS's were bad and you have the ability not to declare them such as new spec history because youre going on to do the full a level, then I wouldnt declare it.

Thats how I done my how UCAS application and now I am going to study at LSE so, I would think there is nothing wrong with how I have done it.

P.S. Sorry for the severe lack of punctuation and poorly paragraphed text lul

No.

If you sat an external AS qualification you HAVE to declare it. It's up to the universities to decide if it is important, useful, pointless... not you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also just to add, you cant cherry pick the results you want to declare on UCAS, you either go all guns blazing and declare them or rely solely on your A2 predictions. Sorry if 'my way' is confusing
Original post by Doonesbury
No.

If you sat an external AS qualification you HAVE to declare it. It's up to the universities to decide if it is important, useful, pointless... not you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I am just giving my experience at my sixth form because it was told to us that if you are continuing a new spec AS onto A2 then you cannot declare it on UCAS because its a stand alone qualification and the very fact that you have taken it onto A2 level means that your AS is now void
Reply 6
Also just to add, you cant cherry pick the results you want to declare on UCAS, you either go all guns blazing and declare them or rely solely on your A2 predictions. Sorry if 'my way' is confusing

Again, no. You MUST declare them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey, I am just giving my experience at my sixth form because it was told to us that if you are continuing a new spec AS onto A2 then you cannot declare it on UCAS because its a stand alone qualification and the very fact that you have taken it onto A2 level means that your AS is now void

That advice is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

BUT, if they were good results then you could declare them. Just check UCAS or speak to your (OP) head of sixth
That advice is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I am saying is that it got me through the UCAS system so ...
Reply 10
All I am saying is that it got me through the UCAS system so ...

If you don't declare all your results your application can, at any stage including during your subsequent university career, be declared incomplete and possibly fraudulent.

You declare all qualifications. It's quite simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't declare all your results your application can, at any stage including during your subsequent university career, be declared incomplete and possibly fraudulent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I declared all of mine, but I know of some who did not in my school and they went through the UCAS system perfectly fine, so there is clearly a problem in confirming those who sat AS qualifications
Reply 12
I declared all of mine, but I know of some who did not in my school and they went through the UCAS system perfectly fine, so there is clearly a problem in confirming those who sat AS qualifications

"at any stage in their university career"...

Posted from TSR Mobile
"at any stage in their university career"...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not debating that, but I am saying UCAS should have a better system at detecting those who have sat AS qualifications but have not declared them so that the applicant doesn't progress to the point where they are accepting offers for universities..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

DO YOU DECLARE YOUR GRADES FOR THE SUBJECTS U DID INTERNALLY OR CAN you put your predicted grades only.

ALSO i am doing a level psychology privately and havent done an exam - so will it be okay if i leave it blank and the person doing my reference just gives my predicted grade.
Reply 15
Original post by joseph9299
DO YOU DECLARE YOUR GRADES FOR THE SUBJECTS U DID INTERNALLY OR CAN you put your predicted grades only.

ALSO i am doing a level psychology privately and havent done an exam - so will it be okay if i leave it blank and the person doing my reference just gives my predicted grade.

You declare any and all external exams. Whether taken privately or at school.

You don't declare internal mocks or PPEs , because they aren't qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My AS results were terrible.They don't count as i am doing the new spec exams and only the A2 grade counts. Please tell me I don’t have to put them on the UCAS form?
Reply 17
Original post by Meatballs2
My AS results were terrible.They don't count as i am doing the new spec exams and only the A2 grade counts. Please tell me I don’t have to put them on the UCAS form?

Yes you have to declare them. Many universities don't pay them much attention these days.

By the way, your Y13 exams are just called A-levels, not A2. A2 was only a thing when the A-levels were modular.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest