The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2018 Entry Applicants

Hey everyone!

There is the Cambridge applicants thread, though this one is for medics only so we can support each other and perhaps give some tips and tricks :wink:

Considering the application deadline is 2 months away we still have some time!

Are any of you thinking of applying for medicine at Cambridge this year? If so, do you have any particular colleges in mind? Why Cambridge? Do you plan on taking the BMAT this September or November?

Feel free to share your stats & extracurriculars! ^_^ Let's get to know each other.

Mac117

Scroll to see replies

reforms
Original post by Mac117
Hey everyone!

There is the Cambridge applicants thread, though this one is for medics only so we can support each other and perhaps give some tips and tricks :wink:

Considering the application deadline is 2 months away we still have some time!

Are any of you thinking of applying for medicine at Cambridge this year? If so, do you have any particular colleges in mind? Why Cambridge? Do you plan on taking the BMAT this September or November?

Feel free to share your stats & extracurriculars! ^_^ Let's get to know each other.

Mac117

Just got my AS results and they went very well. Does Cambridge require us to submit AS UMS, or is this a myth, as many people didn't take AS this year, with most subjects part of the new reforms
Reply 2
Original post by BackLumbarJack
reforms

Just got my AS results and they went very well. Does Cambridge require us to submit AS UMS, or is this a myth, as many people didn't take AS this year, with most subjects part of the new reforms

Congrats on your AS results! Sadly, I am not quite familiar with this as I am an EU applicant who does IB instead of A-levels....

@Doonesbury Would you mind helping this question? :smile:
Reply 3
reformsJust got my AS results and they went very well. Does Cambridge require us to submit AS UMS, or is this a myth, as many people didn't take AS this year, with most subjects part of the new reforms

Original post by Mac117
Congrats on your AS results! Sadly, I am not quite familiar with this as I am an EU applicant who does IB instead of A-levels....

@Doonesbury Would you mind helping this question? :smile:

Yes Cambridge collect your UMS as always. :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes Cambridge collect your UMS as always. :smile:

How can I find out my UMS for each subject? My results show only the grade i attained. I took 4 AS subjects; can I choose which 3 to submit UMS for, or is it done by which are most relevant.

BTW I took Bio, chem, physics, maths
Reply 5
How can I find out my UMS for each subject? My results show only the grade i attained. I took 4 AS subjects; can I choose which 3 to submit UMS for, or is it done by which are most relevant.

BTW I took Bio, chem, physics, maths

Assuming these are English exam boards (Edexcel, AQA, OCR) you only have UMS for Maths. It's given per module on your results sheet.
Assuming these are English exam boards (Edexcel, AQA, OCR) you only have UMS for Maths. It's given per module on your results sheet.

Yes I have maths UMS, but this was quite low at 88 average: I checked my sciences UMS and they are all 100%? Can I not submit these instead?
Reply 7
Yes I have maths UMS, but this was quite low at 88 average: I checked my sciences UMS and they are all 100%? Can I not submit these instead?

No. They aren't UMS. Reformed A-levels don't have UMS.

You can certainly ask your referee to mention your raw marks though, and some Cambridge colleges do ask for them.
No. They aren't UMS. Reformed A-levels don't have UMS.

You can certainly ask your referee to mention your raw marks though, and some Cambridge colleges do ask for them.

But I used my raw marks and entered them into the UMS converter?
Reply 9
But I used my raw marks and entered them into the UMS converter?

Which exam board did you sit?
I got my AS results and was pretty disappointed that I got a B in Bio but shocked that by some saving grace I got an A in Phys. I have to drop Bio now as my teacher won't predict me an A and I still do Maths and Chemistry (I got an A and a B 4 marks off an A, respectively). Do I have a realistic chance here?
Which exam board did you sit?

AQA new spec
Reply 12
AQA new spec

Which doesn't have UMS.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

This is for qualifications that use uniform marks. You can't use this tool for the reformed GCSE, AS and A-level qualifications, nor GCSE Mathematics (Linear) B.
Reply 13
Original post by Mojeri
I got my AS results and was pretty disappointed that I got a B in Bio but shocked that by some saving grace I got an A in Phys. I have to drop Bio now as my teacher won't predict me an A and I still do Maths and Chemistry (I got an A and a B 4 marks off an A, respectively). Do I have a realistic chance here?

How about resisting your AS Biology exam ??
I doubt they'd let me as they really emphasise not doing more than 3 subjects whether AS or A2 in Yr 13 unless you got all As.
Original post by OMG354

Original post by OMG354

I doubt they'd let me as they really emphasise not doing more than 3 subjects whether AS or A2 in Yr 13 unless you got all As
Original post by Mojeri

Cambridge medical students usually have A*A*A* at A-Level so unless you can get those predictions, this in itself may weaken your application. However, the BMAT score, personal statement and interview all are taken into consideration alongside this.
Reply 17

This year I did my 5 of my maths and further maths AS modules as actual external exams - that means the UMS I got in these is the only UMS Cambridge will see right?

Sorry if you're having to repeat yourself I'm just a bit unsure
Reply 18
Original post by iras
This year I did my 5 of my maths and further maths AS modules as actual external exams - that means the UMS I got in these is the only UMS Cambridge will see right?

Sorry if you're having to repeat yourself I'm just a bit unsure

Correct :smile:
Reply 19
Correct :smile:

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending