The Student Room Group

got good grades but didnt get into uni do i do foundation year or retake year

I got reasonable grades ABB but didnt get into first or second choice but was offered a foundation year by my firm so do i retake the year or do i do the foundation year as i wouldnt really want to go through clearing as i really wanted to go to either firm or insurance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Will789
I got reasonable grades ABB but didnt get into first or second choice but was offered a foundation year by my firm so do i retake the year or do i do the foundation year as i wouldnt really want to go through clearing as i really wanted to go to either firm or insurance

Take the foundation year you want to go to uni this year? Well ''tis is a way to do that.
Reply 2
Foundation as you're guaranteed a place if you pass
You're wasting your time taking a foundation year. Take a gap year and reapply.
Foundation year is the safer option, as your place at your firm should be guaranteed as long as you pass the year. It will probably also be more fun, but also means more debt.
Reply 5
Original post by zezno
Foundation as you're guaranteed a place if you pass

yeah i was thinking the same i was just slighly apprensive as it wiuld mean a year of debt and i was also slighly apprensive as im aware my A level grades arent that good so i would be able to better them if i retook the year
Reply 6
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Foundation year is the safer option, as your place at your firm should be guaranteed as long as you pass the year. It will probably also be more fun, but also means more debt.

yeah my firm would be guranteed if i was to pass but would my a levels not look bad as if i was to retake the year i could improve on them or is their no point in retaking the year
Reply 7
Original post by maggie43
You're wasting your time taking a foundation year. Take a gap year and reapply.

how mwod i be wasting my time as my firm may not accept me if i reapply next year if i was to reapply
Hey Will,

I'd highly recommend taking a foundation year, it gives you a chance to meet your academics a year in advance, as well as this it gives you a chance to explore the area a bit more and get involved in some of the clubs and societies your university has to offer. People who carry out a foundation year in there course generally end better off as they get out and party and then start year 1 fresh as a daisy.

There's a lot of benefits to doing a foundation year!

Best of luck, Josh
Original post by Will789
yeah my firm would be guranteed if i was to pass but would my a levels not look bad as if i was to retake the year i could improve on them or is their no point in retaking the year

Your A levels don't look bad though. ABB isn't likely to hold you back in the future, unless (maybe) you're going to apply to an extremely competitive grad scheme.

As far as the debt is concerned, current estimates are that 75% of students will never repay their debt, so that extra year may make no difference to you in the long run. It won't increase the amount of your monthly repayments. Worst case scenario is that you'll be paying it back for longer.
If you take a foundation year, aren't you almost guaranteed a place at your firm afterwards? Whilst if you take a gap year and reapply there's no knowing what will happen
Reply 11
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hey Will,

I'd highly recommend taking a foundation year, it gives you a chance to meet your academics a year in advance, as well as this it gives you a chance to explore the area a bit more and get involved in some of the clubs and societies your university has to offer. People who carry out a foundation year in there course generally end better off as they get out and party and then start year 1 fresh as a daisy.

There's a lot of benefits to doing a foundation year!

Best of luck, Josh

yeah i was really thinking about taking the foundation year but would my a levels as they arent the best not impact me on future job prospects as that was one of reason i wanted to retake the year
Reply 12
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Your A levels don't look bad though. ABB isn't likely to hold you back in the future, unless (maybe) you're going to apply to an extremely competitive grad scheme.

As far as the debt is concerned, current estimates are that 75% of students will never repay their debt, so that extra year may make no difference to you in the long run. It won't increase the amount of your monthly repayments. Worst case scenario is that you'll be paying it back for longer.

aww i see i didnt realise the % was that big ohhh
Reply 13
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
If you take a foundation year, aren't you almost guaranteed a place at your firm afterwards? Whilst if you take a gap year and reapply there's no knowing what will happen

yeah i would need to pass the year and then i would be on my first year of my course and yeah thats what i was thinking i may not be accepted into the uni i want next year
Original post by Will789
yeah i was really thinking about taking the foundation year but would my a levels as they arent the best not impact me on future job prospects as that was one of reason i wanted to retake the year

Not really as a degree is higher up the ladder than A levels, the reason most universities ask for grades for Maths and English gcse is to make sure you'll have no issues on the course when it comes to writing essays or carrying out basic equations for the course.

Once you finish your degree you'll of surpassed anything you'll of learnt whilst studying A levels therefore making them obsolete.

Hope this helps, Josh
Not really as a degree is higher up the ladder than A levels, the reason most universities ask for grades for Maths and English gcse is to make sure you'll have no issues on the course when it comes to writing essays or carrying out basic equations for the course.

Once you finish your degree you'll of surpassed anything you'll of learnt whilst studying A levels therefore making them obsolete.

Hope this helps, Josh

aww i see this does help alot thankyou and i was worrying about this but if it doesnt really that matter i think i would go for the foundation to be fair as nothing would be guranteed if i retook the year and i may end up getting worse grades or not getting into the uni i want
im also in a similair position thankyou for the help
I think it might help with the quality of the advice you receive, if you could tell us what degree you were applying for, and what job you are intending to do in the future.
Reply 18

Hope this helps, Josh

yeah thankyou this does help i think i may take foundation year as it is only a year and nothing is really guranteed if i was to retake the year and i may not even get into uni i want if i was to reatake the year
Original post by jacklee123
aww i see this does help alot thankyou and i was worrying about this but if it doesnt really that matter i think i would go for the foundation to be fair as nothing would be guranteed if i retook the year and i may end up getting worse grades or not getting into the uni i want

Happy to help! Foundation is really beneficial and it'll really help you in the long run.

Best of luck!

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending