The Student Room Group

HELP! Choosing a Course

Hello everyone!

First of all, congrats to our nation for some amazing results.

I'm starting UCAS next week and I need to choose a course.
I got AAAAB in my Scottish highers.

My decision is between English or Accounting and Finance.

English is my passion and my best subject but I know I want to work in Finance where I can work my way up and make a decent amount of money. I also really want to live in London.
I got an A in maths as well and I really enjoyed some aspects.

I'm beyond pissed off that St Andrews doesn't offer Accounting and Finance but they offer Financial Economics.

I was thinking of applying at
Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham, Exeter and then I have a free place to choose.

But do I choose passion and a risky career path or finance and get a good career?

What's your advice? Have you taken either these courses?
Original post by Blookie
Hello everyone!

First of all, congrats to our nation for some amazing results.

I'm starting UCAS next week and I need to choose a course.
I got AAAAB in my Scottish highers.

My decision is between English or Accounting and Finance.

English is my passion and my best subject but I know I want to work in Finance where I can work my way up and make a decent amount of money. I also really want to live in London.
I got an A in maths as well and I really enjoyed some aspects.

I'm beyond pissed off that St Andrews doesn't offer Accounting and Finance but they offer Financial Economics.

I was thinking of applying at
Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham, Exeter and then I have a free place to choose.

But do I choose passion and a risky career path or finance and get a good career?

What's your advice? Have you taken either these courses?

I would say to go with the subject you have the most passion for, as you're going to be studying it for 3/4 years, you need to be interested. It is quite common to do any degree course and then train in Finance afterwards (my friend did History and now works for a big Finance company). Just get relevant experience whilst at uni (e.g. be a treasurer in a society/part time job).
Reply 2
Original post by blondie :)
I would say to go with the subject you have the most passion for, as you're going to be studying it for 3/4 years, you need to be interested. It is quite common to do any degree course and then train in Finance afterwards (my friend did History and now works for a big Finance company). Just get relevant experience whilst at uni (e.g. be a treasurer in a society/part time job).

Did she do post grad? Or did she go into training?
If so, how long is the training?
Original post by Blookie
Did she do post grad? Or did she go into training?
If so, how long is the training?

Nope, no postgrad! It's training, so he does exams and this is for 3 years (it's to be a chartered auditor) but there are people who did finance/accounting with him - a degree in it doesn't mean that you are actually qualified (although 100% sure on this). I have a few other friends who did degrees like geography who are now training as financial advisers. Obviously these are just anecdotes but you don't need a degree in finance to get into that kind of work! I think if you're passionate about what you are learning, you are more likely to do well to then get a job in what you want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by blondie :)
Nope, no postgrad! It's training, so he does exams and this is for 3 years (it's to be a chartered auditor) but there are people who did finance/accounting with him - a degree in it doesn't mean that you are actually qualified (although 100% sure on this). I have a few other friends who did degrees like geography who are now training as financial advisers. Obviously these are just anecdotes but you don't need a degree in finance to get into that kind of work! I think if you're passionate about what you are learning, you are more likely to do well to then get a job in what you want to do.

See it's not like I'm not passionate about accounting and Finance, I love that side of maths and I love money (I intend to make a lot of it :wink: ) and I'm in a pickle. Your advice has helped me open my eyes slightly more, I really appreciate it!!
Original post by Blookie
See it's not like I'm not passionate about accounting and Finance, I love that side of maths and I love money (I intend to make a lot of it :wink: ) and I'm in a pickle. Your advice has helped me open my eyes slightly more, I really appreciate it!!

Do your passion and make university worth while when you're there (volunteering, doing internships and jobs, being part of society) and then the good job and money will come afterwards! Happy course searching :smile: (I would definitely go to Edinburgh, I wish I applied back in the day!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending