The Student Room Group

A-Level remarks?

this is probably a silly question but can a paper be re-marked lower?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haj2244
this is probably a silly question but can a paper be re-marked lower?

yes this year they can go down
Reply 2
Yes, they can remark it and the marks (and the grade) can go down and that is the grade you will end up with. So you need to be aware of the risk with getting a remark - if you're 1 mark below the next grade up then it's probably not going to be bad if you lose a few marks with a remark, but if you're very close to the next grade below you ought to exercise caution.
Original post by claireestelle
yes this year they can go down

do you know when the AQAAlevel deadline for remarks are? I probably should have used yesterday but I think I was too overwhelmed and all over the place.

I'm taking a year out to resit but i'm thinking of getting my papers back and possibly remarking. When is it too late?
Original post by qwertyuiop786
do you know when the AQAAlevel deadline for remarks are? I probably should have used yesterday but I think I was too overwhelmed and all over the place.

I'm taking a year out to resit but i'm thinking of getting my papers back and possibly remarking. When is it too late?

august 24th for priority remarking and september 21st for a normal one.
Reply 5
Original post by Asolare
Yes, they can remark it and the marks (and the grade) can go down and that is the grade you will end up with. So you need to be aware of the risk with getting a remark - if you're 1 mark below the next grade up then it's probably not going to be bad if you lose a few marks with a remark, but if you're very close to the next grade below you ought to exercise caution.

Is there any way for me to find out how close I am to certain grades? i.e. grade breakdowns of my papers and how many marks i got?

As my subject follows a new specification, I was unable to find out the exact breakdown of my papers.
Original post by haj2244
Is there any way for me to find out how close I am to certain grades? i.e. grade breakdowns of my papers and how many marks i got?

As my subject follows a new specification, I was unable to find out the exact breakdown of my papers.

Your teacher/the exams officers will have your raw marks. You can just ask for them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
Your teacher/the exams officers will have your raw marks. You can just ask for them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by haj2244

There may be. It depends which exam board it was, what digital services your school subscribes to and the policies at your school about accessing them.

Ask your school. Quickly, before all the teachers make the best of their last few days of holiday.
Reply 9
Original post by haj2244

As said above, your teachers have access but if you have the UMS you can work out your marks per paper - it's a bit trickier as you have to guess a lot of marks until you arrive at the right number.

For example, if you're with AQA then go to their Raw Marks> UMS converter: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

Choose your qualification, year and subject.

Then you need to start entering raw marks until you find the raw mark which matches your UMS. For example, I got 121/140 UMS on my GERM3 exam and by starting from 97 RAW marks and working downwards I got to 93 RAW marks which = 121 UMS on the converter, and thus that was my raw mark. If you don't remember what the max marks for the paper was then check out the grade boundaries pdf for your exam board.

---

What you cannot do though is, if you have a subject which does 1 paper divided into 2 sections corresponding to different parts of the course (e.g. philosophy), find out what marks you got on each section this way. Only the overall mark for the paper can be found.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by haj2244
Thank you

No problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

I have one more question if you don't mind!

Roughly how long would it take for a priority re mark to be sent to me? If i needed it by Monday 21st, would it be possible?

Thank you again
Original post by haj2244
I have one more question if you don't mind!

Roughly how long would it take for a priority re mark to be sent to me? If i needed it by Monday 21st, would it be possible?

Thank you again

A priority remark will be returned by the 31st August. Even if you put it in yesterday it is extremely unlikely that it comes through by Monday unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haj2244

The earlier they go in the quicker they come back. We had 3 submitted on Thursday that came back today (Friday) but the longer you leave it the longer they tend to take.
Reply 14
has anyone remarked AQA AS biology and chemistry yet?, how was it?
I need 2 raw marks for A in both should I get them remarked?
should I ask for all the 4 papers to be remarked or ask for some of the papers?
(edited 6 years ago)
I received my AS level maths result which came back as a B, but all year through my mocks and tests i was always top 5 in my class with 90% average, in addition to finding past questions straightforward
I need my maths to be an A as i am going for a top russel group university.
I DO NOT believe these are my marks and i believe a mistake was made and requested for my paper to verify if my suspicions are justified
How long do you reckon they'll take? I paid to have the paper back yesterday

The exam board is OCR and i dont know if they normally make such mistakes
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Oruese
I received my AS level maths result which came back as a B, but all year through my mocks and tests i was always top 5 in my class with 90% average, in addition to finding past questions straightforward
I need my maths to be an A as i am going for a top russel group university.
I DO NOT believe these are my marks and i believe a mistake was made and requested for my paper to verify if my suspicions are justified
How long do you reckon they'll take? I paid to have the paper back yesterday

The exam board is OCR and i dont know if they normally make such mistakes

OCR are sending papers back by email in about 24 hours. How long it takes to get back to you is more likely to be dependent on when there is someone in school to process it but there will be plenty of time for someone to look at the papers before the re-mark deadline (21 September).
Original post by Compost
OCR are sending papers back by email in about 24 hours. How long it takes to get back to you is more likely to be dependent on when there is someone in school to process it but there will be plenty of time for someone to look at the papers before the re-mark deadline (21 September).

Thanks so much that calms my nerves.
Wish me luck in this remarking thing
Reply 18
I never got a mark breakdown for my exams, is that the same for everyone? I don't wanna risk remarking without knowing if I'm near. There are paid services available to me but I'm not entirely sure which I should be choosing.
Reply 19
Hello, I need some quick help.

I am 6 marks away from an A grade in physics and 13 marks away from an A grade in chemistry.

My question is "Is it worth getting a remark?”

My uni is adamant I need two A's and I’ve got one in math.
Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest