The Student Room Group

What percentage of remarks go up?

In maths and economics I missed an a star by one mark. I've got one paper back from economics which didn't change which I'm appealing , and sent off the other for a remark.

What's the likelihood that I'll get an extra mark? Especially with this new system of remarking ...help please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone know?
Think it was 11%
Reply 3
Anyone know if this is right??
Original post by ineedA
Anyone know if this is right??

In 2016 about 20% of reviews (remarks) resulted in grade changes, and the vast majority of those changes (90%+) were upwards.
Original post by ineedA
In maths and economics I missed an a star by one mark. I've got one paper back from economics which didn't change which I'm appealing , and sent off the other for a remark.

What's the likelihood that I'll get an extra mark? Especially with this new system of remarking ...help please

I had this situation with maths:

C3: 100UMS
S1: 100UMS
C4: 79UMS

Since you need to have 180UMS across C3 and C4 for the A*, I missed it by 1 measly ums (I'm still not quite over it and will probably resit that module next year if I'm still not over it)

I had a priority remark which came back fruitless; the mark remained the same.

The remarking system these days means that senior examiners can only confirm or otherwise that the mark scheme has been applied correctly. Its particularly true for exams with essays that there is room for examiner judgement. Before, a senior examiner could disagree with their judgement and change the mark at their discretion but stricter controls now make this very hard to justify.

Its harsh and really not nice when you get this close, and I can help but shudder at the feeling of being that close on two of your subjects; its just not fair man.

Maths is very unlikely to result in a change, though you might score with economics. I really wouldn't hold my breath though.
Reply 6
Original post by PedanticStudent
I had this situation with maths:

C3: 100UMS
S1: 100UMS
C4: 79UMS

Since you need to have 180UMS across C3 and C4 for the A*, I missed it by 1 measly ums (I'm still not quite over it and will probably resit that module next year if I'm still not over it)

I had a priority remark which came back fruitless; the mark remained the same.

The remarking system these days means that senior examiners can only confirm or otherwise that the mark scheme has been applied correctly. Its particularly true for exams with essays that there is room for examiner judgement. Before, a senior examiner could disagree with their judgement and change the mark at their discretion but stricter controls now make this very hard to justify.

Its harsh and really not nice when you get this close, and I can help but shudder at the feeling of being that close on two of your subjects; its just not fair man.

Maths is very unlikely to result in a change, though you might score with economics. I really wouldn't hold my breath though.

Thanks so much, yeah I'm feeling pretty helpless. Either I go up in the remark or spend another 12 months revising in order to get my results up by 1 mark/: really don't know what I'm going to do, the new system really screwed me here
Original post by ineedA
Thanks so much, yeah I'm feeling pretty helpless. Either I go up in the remark or spend another 12 months revising in order to get my results up by 1 mark/: really don't know what I'm going to do, the new system really screwed me here

Its so difficult to get over especially if you've pushed yourself so hard all year. The feasibility of resitting them will depend on your modular scores. For me, all I have to do is resit the one c4 module and literally go up by 1ums to 80ums which is right on the A grade boundary for that paper. If I had say 89 in both of them, I probably wouldn't do it because its double to work.

Do you want to share your modular scores for the subjects concerned, I'll give you my advice then if you want it?
Reply 8
Its so difficult to get over especially if you've pushed yourself so hard all year. The feasibility of resitting them will depend on your modular scores. For me, all I have to do is resit the one c4 module and literally go up by 1ums to 80ums which is right on the A grade boundary for that paper. If I had say 89 in both of them, I probably wouldn't do it because its double to work.

Do you want to share your modular scores for the subjects concerned, I'll give you my advice then if you want it?

90 ums in c4 and 89ums in c3:frown: for economics I got 190 and a star was 191
Original post by ineedA
90 ums in c4 and 89ums in c3:frown: for economics I got 190 and a star was 191

damnnnnn thats just cruel. I thought I had it bad but man at least its easy for me to resit.

Maybe you could look at resitting the C3 as I think its an easier module and that is the lower one? at least you only need to get 90 which wouldnt be the case if the c4 was like 85.

I remember having an AS business paper remarked as well. That has essays in it and would be marked in a similar way to mechanics either, that also stayed the same.

I'm actually deferring a year, finding a job and saving up some money to go to uni next year. During this time I'll be resitting the C4 paper and also making any alterations to the ICT coursework which is apparently a B grade as decided by the moderator (RIP) this also stopped me from getting an A* in that subject.

If you really really care about it and want 4A*s like me (or 3A*s however many you took) then you could do what I am doing and just revise alongside having a job.
Reply 10
damnnnnn thats just cruel. I thought I had it bad but man at least its easy for me to resit.

Maybe you could look at resitting the C3 as I think its an easier module and that is the lower one? at least you only need to get 90 which wouldnt be the case if the c4 was like 85.

I remember having an AS business paper remarked as well. That has essays in it and would be marked in a similar way to mechanics either, that also stayed the same.

I'm actually deferring a year, finding a job and saving up some money to go to uni next year. During this time I'll be resitting the C4 paper and also making any alterations to the ICT coursework which is apparently a B grade as decided by the moderator (RIP) this also stopped me from getting an A* in that subject.

If you really really care about it and want 4A*s like me (or 3A*s however many you took) then you could do what I am doing and just revise alongside having a job.

thanks so much, but yeah it's just not the way I planned it all going, never thought I'd have to retake, kinda sucks oh well
Original post by ineedA
thanks so much, but yeah it's just not the way I planned it all going, never thought I'd have to retake, kinda sucks oh well

Me neither, we all fail sometimes but remember that:

"Life is 10% of What Happens to Me and 90% of How I React to It"
how do i convert mark equivlent into marks i can compare with on grade boundries
Original post by JamesL123
how do i convert mark equivlent into marks i can compare with on grade boundries

What is your exam board?
What is your exam board?

OCR and AQA
OCR and AQA

AS level or A level?
AS level or A level?

A level
A level

OCR Entire Qualification Boundaries: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/411689-new-a-level-grade-boundaries-june-2017.pdf
OCR Modular Boundaries: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/408002-a2-units-showing-90-conversion-points-june-2017.pdf

AQA:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

Basically for AQA go to that link and find your qualification and module, then type in your UMS (the mark number shown on your results slip) for each module.
If you want additional assistance in terms of working out entire qualification grades for AQA let me know.
OCR Entire Qualification Boundaries: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/411689-new-a-level-grade-boundaries-june-2017.pdf
OCR Modular Boundaries: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/408002-a2-units-showing-90-conversion-points-june-2017.pdf

AQA:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter

Basically for AQA go to that link and find your qualification and module, then type in your UMS (the mark number shown on your results slip) for each module.
If you want additional assistance in terms of working out entire qualification grades for AQA let me know.

thankyou i will
Reply 19
has anyone remarked AQA AS biology and chemistry yet?, how was it?
I need 2 raw marks for A in both should I get them remarked?
should I ask for all the 4 papers to be remarked or ask for some of the papers?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending