The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi! Just finished my first year of biotechnology at Nottingham University and received a high 2:1, hoping to pull that up to a 1st next year. A levels were ACC (but resat for my own peace of mind) GCSES: 3A*, 11As. Sitting the GAMSAT this September (for practice mainly) and will sit UKCAT next September. Currently looking at Nottingham or London (St georges, Kings, Queens). I’ve shadowed three GPs (at different practices) and getting some hospital work experience set up ATM. Studying abroad next year and set up some volunteering at a care home.
:smile:
Original post by gem-101
Hi! Just finished my first year of biotechnology at Nottingham University and received a high 2:1, hoping to pull that up to a 1st next year. A levels were ACC (but resat for my own peace of mind) GCSES: 3A*, 11As. Sitting the GAMSAT this September (for practice mainly) and will sit UKCAT next September. Currently looking at Nottingham or London (St georges, Kings, Queens). I’ve shadowed three GPs (at different practices) and getting some hospital work experience set up ATM. Studying abroad next year and set up some volunteering at a care home.
:smile:

I'm currently finishing off a masters at Queen Mary. Happy to let you know what it's like etc
Hey guys, glad to find this post!! I have just graduated in Biomedical Science with a First and will be completing a Masters now September, so will be applying for medicine September 2018. I'm worried about my A levels tho, they aren't that great.
Original post by younglauram
Hey guys, glad to find this post!! I have just graduated in Biomedical Science with a First and will be completing a Masters now September, so will be applying for medicine September 2018. I'm worried about my A levels tho, they aren't that great.

What were your a level results? Many grad schools don't look at A levels
Original post by Sacred Ground
What were your a level results? Many grad schools don't look at A levels

ACCD

Not great and think this will already put me down the list from the start!
Original post by younglauram
ACCD

Not great and think this will already put me down the list from the start!

If the med school doesn't ask for A levels but only for a 2.1/1st, your a levels won't disadvantage you in any way
Original post by Sacred Ground
If the med school doesn't ask for A levels but only for a 2.1/1st, your a levels won't disadvantage you in any way

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Hi everyone,

I just finished my Medical Science Degree and have a place at Swansea to study GEM medicine :biggrin: which is starting in just over a week (eeep!!)... I also got offers from Cardiff and Exeter so hit me up with questions about the GAMSAT or these universities. I am pretty knowledgable about Exeter as I did my undergraduate there... Good luck to all....
Original post by alanajane
Hi everyone,

I just finished my Medical Science Degree and have a place at Swansea to study GEM medicine :biggrin: which is starting in just over a week (eeep!!)... I also got offers from Cardiff and Exeter so hit me up with questions about the GAMSAT or these universities. I am pretty knowledgable about Exeter as I did my undergraduate there... Good luck to all....

How long did you leave to prepare for the GAMSAT, what was your score and which resources did you use? :colondollar:
Original post by gradmed305
How long did you leave to prepare for the GAMSAT, what was your score and which resources did you use? :colondollar:

So I sat the GAMSAT in September 2016 and started revising in the June. I spent about 2-3 hours a day and probably double this on weekends. It did vary as I worked shifts (5 hours a day) so it depended on how I was feeling. I put in some pretty intense 2 weeks of work before the test (8 hours a day)

I mainly went over past papers but I also had to learn A level physics since I hadn't done any physics since GCSEs. I used a friend's A level Text book as well as the internet (Khan academy etc.) I also used my A level chemistry books and notes but I had used a lot in my degree so I didnt do much. And I did little biology as my degree covered all of that!

I used the practice tests from ACER but I bought electronic copies off ebay as they were cheaper! Also had a few other practice materials from the guy I bought them off.

I came out with 62 (64,65,60)
So I sat the GAMSAT in September 2016 and started revising in the June. I spent about 2-3 hours a day and probably double this on weekends. It did vary as I worked shifts (5 hours a day) so it depended on how I was feeling. I put in some pretty intense 2 weeks of work before the test (8 hours a day)

I mainly went over past papers but I also had to learn A level physics since I hadn't done any physics since GCSEs. I used a friend's A level Text book as well as the internet (Khan academy etc.) I also used my A level chemistry books and notes but I had used a lot in my degree so I didnt do much. And I did little biology as my degree covered all of that!

I used the practice tests from ACER but I bought electronic copies off ebay as they were cheaper! Also had a few other practice materials from the guy I bought them off.

I came out with 62 (64,65,60)

Oooh thank you so much :biggrin: I have a question, does the ACER material listed on the GAMSAT website change every year? Because I'm planning to sit my GAMSAT in March and just found all of the ACER materials on ebay for under £20 :colone:
Oooh thank you so much :biggrin: I have a question, does the ACER material listed on the GAMSAT website change every year? Because I'm planning to sit my GAMSAT in March and just found all of the ACER materials on ebay for under £20 :colone:

I'm pretty sure they don't because I'm sure the free practice questions you get was identical to the ones I bought and also on the acer website, under where you purchase the materials it says "Please note that the content of the preparation materials does not change from year to year unless otherwise specified."

Its possible they could've changed this year but I would say the more practice you do the better!

No, they don't change - 99% sure.
I'm pretty sure they don't because I'm sure the free practice questions you get was identical to the ones I bought and also on the acer website, under where you purchase the materials it says "Please note that the content of the preparation materials does not change from year to year unless otherwise specified."

Its possible they could've changed this year but I would say the more practice you do the better!

Original post by Graduate_Medic
No, they don't change - 99% sure.

Excellent, well this saves me from spending £££ on resources considering how much the test itself costs :colondollar:
Is anyone taking GAMSAT in march 2018? if so have you started preparation/what preparation have you done?
Original post by stellar2
Is anyone taking GAMSAT in march 2018? if so have you started preparation/what preparation have you done?

I am. I'm in the process of getting cheap resources but won't start revising until I get back to university (i.e. late September).
Hey there all! I've started a whatsapp group for GAMSAT revision, for those taking the exam in March or September 2018. If you want to be added, please PM me numbers and I'll add you to the group, thanks.
Original post by Hopefullyamedic
Hey there all! I've started a whatsapp group for GAMSAT revision, for those taking the exam in March or September 2018. If you want to be added, please PM me numbers and I'll add you to the group, thanks.

Are there any whatsapp groups for 2019 entry ?!
Original post by Chez231
Are there any whatsapp groups for 2019 entry ?!

For UKCAT UNIS ***
Reply 59
Original post by stellar2

Hey, just wanted to clarify- would you be sitting the GAMSAT in march 2018 for entry in 2019?

Latest

Trending

Trending