The Student Room Group

Can a 1.0 litre engine vehicle handle 6 hours on a motorway?

Hello folks,

I'm debating whether or not to get a car for university. I'm on the DON'T GET A CAR side at the moment, but still looking at my options, especially because it would be unreasonable to get my parents to drive 6 hrs to university, then back.

I know next to nothing about cars, I only know how to operate them safely so bear with me here.

I understand that as a new driver, it's best to stick with a 1.0 litre engine vehicle because the insurance costs a lot less etc. However, can a 1.0 litre engine vehicle handle motorway driving comfortably? Especially when I have to overtake on motorways which will probably be common seeing it will take me 6 hours to drive from Essex to Edinburgh.

Also, how damaging is a 6 hour drive (on mostly motorways) for a small car such as a Hyundai i10 from 2006? My father said drives like that really damage the car. He's been driving since the 1980s now and I'm not sure if this is some archaic view on the reliability of cars these days.

Anyone have any insight? Apologies if the question makes no sense. Like I said, I know nothing about cars.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It'll be reet.

I have a 1 l Up! and go on long journeys all the time.
Reply 2
A 1L engine is fine on the motorway. It will obviously give you less acceleration than a bigger engine but it should be OK for overtaking lorries.
yes, the car will be fine.

I think your estimation of 6 hrs from Essex to Edinburgh is a little ambitious though tbh. It's likely to be closer to 9 if you figure in toilet/food breaks. The A1/M1 is not the best of roads either and has a ton of roadworks. The dual carriageway sections can really slow you down if there are a lot of HGV's over taking each other at 58 and 59 mph respectively. Sections of the A1 can also be a nightmare in the dark if it's raining, old road marking/lack of cats eyes make it incredibly tiring. It is not a pleasant drive.

If your parents are willing to do that drive, in all honesty I'd let them! Driving for that length of time isn't pleasant. Let them do it and enjoy the sleep :wink:

One other issue with taking your own car... parking. Availability and costs. If you are only going to use it for the journeys home then it seems like a waste of money.

I'd suggest renting a car at one end and dropping it at the other, but if you are a new driver that probably isn't a possibility.
Reply 4
Original post by MonsoonStorm
yes, the car will be fine.

I think your estimation of 6 hrs from Essex to Edinburgh is a little ambitious though tbh. It's likely to be closer to 9 if you figure in toilet/food breaks. The A1/M1 is not the best of roads either and has a ton of roadworks. The dual carriageway sections can really slow you down if there are a lot of HGV's over taking each other at 58 and 59 mph respectively. Sections of the A1 can also be a nightmare in the dark if it's raining, old road marking/lack of cats eyes make it incredibly tiring. It is not a pleasant drive.

If your parents are willing to do that drive, in all honesty I'd let them! Driving for that length of time isn't pleasant. Let them do it and enjoy the sleep :wink:

One other issue with taking your own car... parking. Availability and costs. If you are only going to use it for the journeys home then it seems like a waste of money.

I'd suggest renting a car at one end and dropping it at the other, but if you are a new driver that probably isn't a possibility.

Yeah. I forgot to factor in the all-important rest breaks every two hours. Eek!

I would probably use it for other things, like food shopping and driving around Scotland/touristy type stuff too. I'll need to sit down and properly evaluate the cost I suppose!
Original post by Blue_Cow
Yeah. I forgot to factor in the all-important rest breaks every two hours. Eek!

I would probably use it for other things, like food shopping and driving around Scotland/touristy type stuff too. I'll need to sit down and properly evaluate the cost I suppose!

People still go to supermarkets? :wink:

The touristy thing is understandable, but check out public transport also. Edinburgh is likely to have transport all over the place.

Sounds like spreadsheet time!
Reply 6
People still go to supermarkets? :wink:

The touristy thing is understandable, but check out public transport also. Edinburgh is likely to have transport all over the place.

Sounds like spreadsheet time!

I do love a good spreadsheet :colondollar::colondollar:

Our family is staunchly against online shopping. We like to see the food in person before buying XD
I do love a good spreadsheet :colondollar::colondollar:

Our family is staunchly against online shopping. We like to see the food in person before buying XD

pfffft, you're about to be a student, most of what you'll be able to afford comes inside tins and packets regardless :wink:

On a more serious note, I've been using online shopping for quite a long time as I'm fairly rural and my nearest decent supermarket is about 30 mins drive. I've never really had any quality issues, if anything is "not right" or squashed, you simply tell the delivery guy there and then, and he will amend the order and return it.

I find it also helps cut down on the impulsive buys because you aren't wandering aisles, you can't really "browse" online, so you tend to just buy what you need.
Reply 8
pfffft, you're about to be a student, most of what you'll be able to afford comes inside tins and packets regardless :wink:

On a more serious note, I've been using online shopping for quite a long time as I'm fairly rural and my nearest decent supermarket is about 30 mins drive. I've never really had any quality issues, if anything is "not right" or squashed, you simply tell the delivery guy there and then, and he will amend the order and return it.

I find it also helps cut down on the impulsive buys because you aren't wandering aisles, you can't really "browse" online, so you tend to just buy what you need.

That's a really good point actually. Thank you :smile:
why dont you take a flight to Edinburgh from the nearest airport. I knew a girl who used to fly from Scotland as her uni was in Plymouth.

Also RE the food shop, trust me our family also never buys online food, but as a student my saviour was Asda delivery. I know it might be a hit and miss but unless youve got a friend that has a car or you can AFFORD to keep a car at uni then home delivery is the best. You can also walk it to the main tesco and get a taxi back with your food shop.

The main thing is, do you really need a car. :wink:

EDIT- I have seen there are direct flights from Southampton to Edinburgh
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd advise against a car if you can.

I was going to take mine but decided not to because of the following:

Insurance: My insurance is £780 per year and I'd hardly be driving

Fuel

Devaluation: My car is 2 years old (bought when 8 months old). As I won't be using it much it seems silly to have such a liability

Damage: Living in student areas there's a higher possibility of damage

Uni Friends: Everyone will want to be your friend and expect you to drive them about

But yes a 1.0 litre engine should be ok. I'd say motorway miles are less damaging to your car in terms of gearbox, suspension, driveshaft brakes. It can be damaging depending on how frequently you do the 8 hour trip but that's just because of the larger number of miles you're putting on the clock.
Reply 11
Original post by Aidan.reed
I'd advise against a car if you can.

I was going to take mine but decided not to because of the following:

Insurance: My insurance is £780 per year and I'd hardly be driving

Fuel

Devaluation: My car is 2 years old (bought when 8 months old). As I won't be using it much it seems silly to have such a liability

Damage: Living in student areas there's a higher possibility of damage

Uni Friends: Everyone will want to be your friend and expect you to drive them about

But yes a 1.0 litre engine should be ok. I'd say motorway miles are less damaging to your car in terms of gearbox, suspension, driveshaft brakes. It can be damaging depending on how frequently you do the 8 hour trip but that's just because of the larger number of miles you're putting on the clock.

PRSOM :smile:
Reply 12
Hello folks,

I'm debating whether or not to get a car for university. I'm on the DON'T GET A CAR side at the moment, but still looking at my options, especially because it would be unreasonable to get my parents to drive 6 hrs to university, then back.

I know next to nothing about cars, I only know how to operate them safely so bear with me here.

I understand that as a new driver, it's best to stick with a 1.0 litre engine vehicle because the insurance costs a lot less etc. However, can a 1.0 litre engine vehicle handle motorway driving comfortably? Especially when I have to overtake on motorways which will probably be common seeing it will take me 6 hours to drive from Essex to Edinburgh.

Also, how damaging is a 6 hour drive (on mostly motorways) for a small car such as a Hyundai i10 from 2006? My father said drives like that really damage the car. He's been driving since the 1980s now and I'm not sure if this is some archaic view on the reliability of cars these days.

Anyone have any insight? Apologies if the question makes no sense. Like I said, I know nothing about cars.

Does your university even allow you to bring a car? Many don't, and those that do can have expensive parking fees.

(My first car was a 950cc Ford Fiesta and it got me from N Ireland to south Wales and back on a regular basis - I bought a good radio/cassette player for it (yes I am old...) )
Reply 13
Original post by Doonesbury
Does your university even allow you to bring a car? Many don't, and those that do can have expensive parking fees.

(My first car was a 950cc Ford Fiesta and it got me from N Ireland to south Wales and back on a regular basis - I bought a good radio/cassette player for it (yes I am old...) )

Cassettes!
Whilst taking a 1 Litre car up a Motorway for 6 isn't an issue having done it myself, getting it for Uni is a bad idea as others said with parking being expensive and hard to find at some Uni's
Reply 15
Cassettes!

:shakecane:

And this was just after 8-track. Google it... :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Doonesbury
:shakecane:

And this was just after 8-track. Google it... :wink:

Mother of god...

You are old!
Can't you take a train or even fly? Would likely be far cheaper
Technically, any sort of driving is going to damage your car, turning your car on will damage your car. That is just the nature of driving
Obviously, driving 6-8 hours down a motorway is gonna wear your car out faster than not taking that journey so unless it is absolutely essential you have a vehicle handy, I wouldn't bother.

tbh, Id be more bothered whether it had cruise control or not :laugh:
Reply 19

Despite being ~40 miles longer of a journey, following the M25 West from Essex and joining the M1 northbound is a much better option than the A1M - other than the occasional set of minor roadworks with 50mph SPECS, it's pretty much smooth sailing; you can stay more or less above 70mph for the entire trip up until Dishforth.

Granted, the A1 is an absolute pisstake around Newcastle/Gateshead, but once you're back up to NSL it's again pretty smooth sailing until Morpeth way. The single carriageway sections will be a minor inconvenience given the struggle a 1l engine will have to overtake the Dutch, and tractors, but it's not too bad.

On a decent weekend day, you'll be able to get from Essex to Edinburgh in a good 8 hours including toilet breaks.

Motorway journeys won't damage your engine any more than normal driving - the rest of your car will be better off vs driving through city centres or around town driving.

Latest

Trending

Trending