The Student Room Group

A Level computer science coursework ideas help!!!

Ok so I have no idea what to do for my course work, I want to do something that will get me high marks.

I was originally going to do a route finding problem but i have no idea how to so thats a shame. I was also going to do a programme that drew whatever graph equation you entered but i couldn't do that either.

So does anyone have any ideas on what to do???? Any help would be appreciated!
(Im going to use VB)
Reply 1
Look at the coursework specifications and pick something around what would get you the highest mark. For example, complex code that you can explain and justify the benefits of doing it is very important in my specification (OCR) but obviously don't make something that's too complicated that you wont finish in the given time.

Making a game or software for educational purposes gives you endless things to talk about and things you can implement, be it a leaderboard system, creating logins to the software/game or giving feedback of a pupil's scores to a teacher (anything that writes to or reads from files typically is complex and appreciated by examiners i think)
Original post by Joannu
Look at the coursework specifications and pick something around what would get you the highest mark. For example, complex code that you can explain and justify the benefits of doing it is very important in my specification (OCR) but obviously don't make something that's too complicated that you wont finish in the given time.

Making a game or software for educational purposes gives you endless things to talk about and things you can implement, be it a leaderboard system, creating logins to the software/game or giving feedback of a pupil's scores to a teacher (anything that writes to or reads from files typically is complex and appreciated by examiners i think)

Thank you i may do a educational game that you have to wander questions to progress the game. and i will do a leader board for this. But I've heard that you get a lot of marks from doing databases so i may do the questions in a database like excel then import them in to the game randomly when the user has to wander a question, do you know if that is possible? (sorry my coding skills are pretty basic i didn't listen much in AS and am regreting it a lot)
Reply 3
Original post by jarjarbinkss
Thank you i may do a educational game that you have to wander questions to progress the game. and i will do a leader board for this. But I've heard that you get a lot of marks from doing databases so i may do the questions in a database like excel then import them in to the game randomly when the user has to wander a question, do you know if that is possible? (sorry my coding skills are pretty basic i didn't listen much in AS and am regreting it a lot)

I know Python well, yes it is possible.
Depends on how you want to do it, you can always look online for tutorials btw.

First i'd recommend making some sort of GUI, whether it's on HTML, or you making a program with a window, hell, you could even use Unity3D or something.

Then you'll need to get the questions from another source (excel, or something similar online), then import them and have a corresponding answer with it.

This shouldn't be too hard.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4

Something like that would be great. Similarly, if you created some code that recorded how many answers the player got right and imported them back into a spreadsheet so the player data could be recorded, that would look good too
Original post by Cæsar
I know Python well, yes it is possible.
Depends on how you want to do it, you can always look online for tutorials btw.

First i'd recommend making some sort of GUI, whether it's on HTML, or you making a program with a window, hell, you could even use Unity3D or something.

Then you'll need to get the questions from another source (excel, or something similar online), then import them and have a corresponding answer with it.

This shouldn't be too hard.

omg thank you so much I'm creating the interface on vb console application because its easy you just drag and drop buttons etc (and because its all i know how to) right now i am using online tutorials on how to use databases etc. Im going to make it so the user creates a username when they start and it saves to a database and their score will also save to the database. Then i will link this database to another table where the score lists the users in score order so it creates a leader board.

I don't know if that makes sense but basically a database with 2 linked tables with the username etc and with the score so i can make a leaderboard.

do you think this would work. TYSM
Original post by Joannu
Something like that would be great. Similarly, if you created some code that recorded how many answers the player got right and imported them back into a spreadsheet so the player data could be recorded, that would look good too

tysm this is what i was thinking of in bed last night in a database i would have a main table with their username and other info like name etc and then have a table linked to that which stores the score in defending order which i will use for the leader board.
TYSM i hope this works I'm literally self teaching myself to code again using databases etc
Reply 7
omg thank you so much I'm creating the interface on vb console application because its easy you just drag and drop buttons etc (and because its all i know how to) right now i am using online tutorials on how to use databases etc. Im going to make it so the user creates a username when they start and it saves to a database and their score will also save to the database. Then i will link this database to another table where the score lists the users in score order so it creates a leader board.

I don't know if that makes sense but basically a database with 2 linked tables with the username etc and with the score so i can make a leaderboard.

do you think this would work. TYSM

Yep.
Reply 8
I got 90% in my Computing coursework, making an educational quiz. The examiners will be looking for skills that show you're going the extra mile, such as reading and writing to files, implementing a login system, or using a database.

The actual idea itself doesn't matter much, it just depends on what you are able to implement.
Reply 9
Original post by DanBing
I got 90% in my Computing coursework, making an educational quiz. The examiners will be looking for skills that show you're going the extra mile, such as reading and writing to files, implementing a login system, or using a database.

The actual idea itself doesn't matter much, it just depends on what you are able to implement.

What type of questions did you include in your quiz? Were they revolved around one specific topic or more of a general knowledge quiz? Also, who did you use as your user that you were creating your project for and who reviewed your project as it was still ongoing?

Thanks
Reply 10
Hi, this sounds like a very good idea but how did your educational quiz work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending