The Student Room Group

AQA screw up???????

am i the only one who think AS Aqa law results were ********?
Original post by Aakn

In what way?
Reply 2
Original post by Carly2289
In what way?

Like how can I have a really high A in one unit and then an E in one, that I thought went better. (I've never ever gotten an E before)
Original post by Aakn
Like how can I have a really high A in one unit and then an E in one, that I thought went better. (I've never ever gotten an E before)

Because you didn't revise enough/you're not as good as you thought
Reply 4
Original post by That'sGreat
Because you didn't revise enough/you're not as good as you thought

I spent 3 months revising, did every past paper from 2007. Had answered every question in the exam numerous times before. Nobody in my entire class seems to have gotten above a D.
Reply 5
Original post by Aakn
I spent 3 months revising, did every past paper from 2007. Had answered every question in the exam numerous times before. Nobody in my entire class seems to have gotten above a D.

Poor teaching of that particular unit?
Original post by Aakn

i did those exact same exams as you've said for AS AQA law, and i got a C in both units, almost a B overall.

Maybe the questions just weren't the best for you in your worse unit? Which unit did you get the A and E in?
If i wasn't clear, i did the exam from this years AS AQA Law.
Reply 8
I think the grade boundaries in general for AQA law are too high. You literally have to get full marks in the ajority of questions to get an A and with a mark sheme that is so general and based on whether the examiner thinks you were close enough or not, I don't feel that makes much sense. Especially when psychology from the same exam board lets you drop approx 20 marks and still get an A.
Reply 9
Original post by Solitude12
i did those exact same exams as you've said for AS AQA law, and i got a C in both units, almost a B overall.

Maybe the questions just weren't the best for you in your worse unit? Which unit did you get the A and E in?

i got an A in Unit 1, with almost full marks and barely an E in unit 2. The thing is I did every question on that exam apart from one beforehand. I learnt the dates of every case and I had been getting straight A's throughout the year. I not only learnt everything from the book but I used so many other resources. My exam was good. People in my class got A's and U's, something doesn't add up.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Poor teaching of that particular unit?

Same teacher for a few years, we had straight A's last year!!
Reply 11
Original post by Tenyk
I think the grade boundaries in general for AQA law are too high. You literally have to get full marks in the ajority of questions to get an A and with a mark sheme that is so general and based on whether the examiner thinks you were close enough or not, I don't feel that makes much sense. Especially when psychology from the same exam board lets you drop approx 20 marks and still get an A.

Exactly!! I wish I had known this before I took the subject up!
Original post by Aakn
i got an A in Unit 1, with almost full marks and barely an E in unit 2. The thing is I did every question on that exam apart from one beforehand. I learnt the dates of every case and I had been getting straight A's throughout the year. I not only learnt everything from the book but I used so many other resources. My exam was good. People in my class got A's and U's, something doesn't add up.

Hmm, that's strange. Especially since you say everyone got A's in the 1st unit and did very badly in the 2nd. Maybe the technique you were taught to write the questions in unit 2 were at fault? Maybe the examiners only allow marks for questions with certain techniques?

Massive guess, i have literally no idea how that can occur.
Reply 13
Original post by Solitude12
Hmm, that's strange. Especially since you say everyone got A's in the 1st unit and did very badly in the 2nd. Maybe the technique you were taught to write the questions in unit 2 were at fault? Maybe the examiners only allow marks for questions with certain techniques?

Massive guess, i have literally no idea how that can occur.

It could be, we're all sending it for a remark. Because last year everyone got A's. Something doesn't really add up.
Original post by Aakn
It could be, we're all sending it for a remark. Because last year everyone got A's. Something doesn't really add up.

Gotta say, this is the weirdest thing I've heard. To go from A's 1 year to U's the next, it's..... so weird.
Original post by Aakn

I have no idea, but from past experiences, I don't really trust AQA. I'd try for a remark, people have gained like 30 marks and gone up five grades in a remark before! I might be getting my law 2 paper remarked, or I might just retake
Reply 16
Original post by Carly2289
I have no idea, but from past experiences, I don't really trust AQA. I'd try for a remark, people have gained like 30 marks and gone up five grades in a remark before! I might be getting my law 2 paper remarked, or I might just retake

Oh my god, thank you!!!! This gives me so much hope. I've never experienced a remark personally, I had no clue they could go up so much. Thanks!!
I have no problem I got 3 A stars but that is so weird.. I mean the one I didn't revise I got lower marks which makes sense but I would be angry if I got lower garde in units that I revised a lot. I would have definitely sent it for remark because sometime you have to trust your work and it is worth paying 50 pound or so

Quick Reply

Latest