The Student Room Group

Is a female friend really called a girlfriend?

So I keep on hearing the word 'girlfriend' around my school and the annoying thing is that whenever I see a guy talking to a girl about general stuff idiots around them always say "OHHH is she your girlfriend blah blah?"
Apparently a girlfriend is a female friend whom you have a romantic relationship with, say I have a female friend but I am not in any way involved with her in a romantic way is she still my girlfriend?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Lol she's a friend. Newsflash, guys and girls can be friends.
Reply 2
Sounds like something you'd hear in Year 7 or 8. To answer, no she is not a girlfriend.
Original post by UWS

Agreed. Just because one is a friend, it doesn't make it a romantic relationship.
Original post by UWS

:shock:

Really?!
Reply 5
Original post by harry293
Sounds like something you'd hear in Year 7 or 8. To answer, no she is not a girlfriend.

So I was right, there is a difference between a girlfriend and a female friend.

Original post by Meany Pie

Really?!

Oh come on, don't tell me that as a girl you don't like guys:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Okay, keep telling yourself this :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by Meany Pie

Really?!

You mean we aren't? :sad:
I have a few female friends. Are they all my girlfriend now? 🤔
Rubbish. My bestfriend is a girl :tongue:

I never understand this logic, as extending it would result you having to say bisexuals cant be friends with anyone, and if you dont your argument is invalidated and mute.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by UWS
You mean we aren't? :sad:

Of course we are :hugs:
Original post by The RAR
Apparently a girlfriend is a female friend whom you have a romantic relationship with, say I have a female friend but I am not in any way involved with her in a romantic way is she still my girlfriend?

I believe you answered your own question.

Quick Reply

Latest