The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
And STEP wasn't just a Maths exam. More (all?) courses had entrance papers in the 4th or 6th term of sixth form.

Oh and EE offers...

Posted from TSR Mobile

when did they abolish EE offers? just curious :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PythagorasGhost
Hey guys, haven't posted here in months (but you might remember me from applying/interview time). Hope it's worked out for everyone :smile: I missed my STEP offer but was accepted anyway!

Did you get 3A*'s in your a level, which compensated for your step? What did you get in step?
Reply 4582
Original post by wolfmoon88
when did they abolish EE offers? just curious :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Christ's was the last to offer them and it was surprisingly recently. 2011 iirc...
Christ's was the last to offer them and it was surprisingly recently. 2011 iirc...

That's quite recent actually :redface: thought they were abolished like in the 80s :lol:
Original post by thewinelake
Ah no, back in our days we had S-levels to contend with. A 1 in S-level probably harder than A*, but hard to compare.
At the end of the day a certain number of places are available, and perhaps the difference now is that more people try - and there are more international candidates. There are few more spaces, I guess, due to new college(s) (is Homerton the only new one since Robinson?)

It's not just a number of colleges that increased, but all colleges have been increasing their intakes. Hence constant building/renovation/acquisition of student accommodation since those days..........and forever-repeating pleas for donation by letters and phone calls from your old college....:tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4585
That's quite recent actually :redface: thought they were abolished like in the 80s :lol:

Christ's web site from 2011:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110307122106/http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk:80/prospective-students/undergraduate-applications/admissions_faq/#easyoffer

"What is an Easy Offer?
If you are a pre A-level candidate whose application is rated very highly after interview, you could be awarded a firm place in December for entry in the year for which you have applied. This would be subject only to satisfying the University requirements for entry, which usually means simply passing two A-levels at the minimum grade E (or equivalent qualification; for example the IB Diploma). Only a very few candidates are given an easy offer each year. To be considered for a "easy offer" place you would need to have an outstanding academic record to date and very strong support from your school. Assessment at interview is also an important part of selection for such offers which are not, therefore, often made to applicants from overseas."

It's gone from the next snapshot version (Dec 2011, for 2012 year of entry).
(edited 6 years ago)
https://web.archive.org/web/20110307122106/http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk:80/prospective-students/undergraduate-applications/admissions_faq/#easyoffer

"What is an Easy Offer?
If you are a pre A-level candidate whose application is rated very highly after interview, you could be awarded a firm place in December for entry in the year for which you have applied. This would be subject only to satisfying the University requirements for entry, which usually means simply passing two A-levels at the minimum grade E (or equivalent qualification; for example the IB Diploma). Only a very few candidates are given an easy offer each year. To be considered for a "easy offer" place you would need to have an outstanding academic record to date and very strong support from your school. Assessment at interview is also an important part of selection for such offers which are not, therefore, often made to applicants from overseas."

Oh ok makes sense :tongue: that's why it wasn't widely known/given out

"What is an Easy Offer?

It's gone from the next snapshot version (Dec 2011, for 2012 year of entry).

Why not just offer an unconditional at that point?
Original post by NeverLucky

To make sure the student actually finishes their A levels rather than not take the exams at all? or to give the guise of giving all students who aren't done with A levels, "conditional offers".

I think it's the latter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4589
Original post by NeverLucky

To make sure the student actually finishes their A levels rather than not take the exams at all? or to give the guise of giving all students who aren't done with A levels, "conditional offers".

I think it's the latter

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder if anyone missed the offer. Lol.

(Unconditionals require you to sit outstanding exams, but not pass them...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really you could get an offer of EE? I assume there was a tough entrance exam instead? Wow, 😳😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh well then :erm: prevents them from not skiving off exams then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4592
Original post by 210555
Really you could get an offer of EE? I assume there was a tough entrance exam instead? Wow, 😳😳

There was that too, but I'm not sure when that stopped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was that too, but I'm not sure when that stopped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was my route in (4th term exam and then EE offer). I never realised that Easy Offers were a thing and would have guessed that once the entrance exam was abolished, EE offers would have gone the same way.

The philosophy/science of offers seems an interesting thing in its own right. Oxford, for example, give far lower offers than Cambridge, but it's harder (and more time-consuming) to get one. Why winter pool offer holders seem to have very missable offers is another strange thing. A bit of poor teaching/preparation can result in swathes of poolers missing out (as has happened at DD's school, where Chemistry was a real car crash).

Like they said, the college can't give unconditional offers because the University rules stipulate a minimum of 2 passes at A-level (or equivalent).
Original post by thewinelake
That was my route in (4th term exam and then EE offer). I never realised that Easy Offers were a thing and would have guessed that once the entrance exam was abolished, EE offers would have gone the same way.

The philosophy/science of offers seems an interesting thing in its own right. Oxford, for example, give far lower offers than Cambridge, but it's harder (and more time-consuming) to get one. Why winter pool offer holders seem to have very missable offers is another strange thing. A bit of poor teaching/preparation can result in swathes of poolers missing out (as has happened at DD's school, where Chemistry was a real car crash).

Like they said, the college can't give unconditional offers because the University rules stipulate a minimum of 2 passes at A-level (or equivalent).

That's uni admissions processes for you. 😜😜 One thing experience has taught me. If you have connections ( family, friends, teachers) whatever who can advise/guide you through these processes and what to expect, it improves your chance of an offer. And that is natural and there is nothing wrong with that 😀.

Simple things such as " don't talk about your interview to other candidates", you'd be surprised how many do fish and ask on the day ( I was asked on a few occasions), what to put in a PS, 4 Alevels or 3 etc. I still think uni application processes can be daunting at 17 yrs old.

That's why I think the AT threads here on TSR are invaluable for those without such assistance, to level the playing field a bit. Maybe these particular threads should be highlighted by the outreach team? They may well now be, though not when I was at sixth form.

No idea why I went on a rant there, apologies to all 😜😜
That's interesting about the EE offers. There was an old wives tale at my school about a guy who had got an 'unconditional' offer from Cambridge, and promptly spent the last year of school not doing any work, and got 3 Us. At this point he was politely informed that even unconditional has limits and was invited to resit and reapply.
That would make sense if 'unconditional' was shorthand for an EE offer. Maybe there was some truth in it after all!

Congratulations to all, for Trinity and/or Computer Scientists I'll see you in October!
Original post by 210555
That's uni admissions processes for you. 😜😜 One thing experience has taught me. If you have connections ( family, friends, teachers) whatever who can advise/guide you through these processes and what to expect, it improves your chance of an offer. And that is natural and there is nothing wrong with that 😀.

Simple things such as " don't talk about your interview to other candidates", you'd be surprised how many do fish and ask on the day ( I was asked on a few occasions), what to put in a PS, 4 Alevels or 3 etc. I still think uni application processes can be daunting at 17 yrs old.

That's why I think the AT threads here on TSR are invaluable for those without such assistance, to level the playing field a bit. Maybe these particular threads should be highlighted by the outreach team? They may well now be, though not when I was at sixth form.

No idea why I went on a rant there, apologies to all 😜😜

Nah it's fine to rant really :tongue:

Having enough information will definitely increase your chances especially if it gives you the confidence to apply when you didn't previously want to or thought you couldn't. Indeed that is why AT threads and TSR is so invaluable as a resource for students applying to university in the UK in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If your remark means you meet the original conditions of your offer before 31st August then Cambridge will honour the offer.

I imagine your underwriting college would be the one to take you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My son missed his offer too. Only found out because his status changed on UCAS. He has A*A*A*A. It's so disappointing to do so well yet not secure a place. But still no news from his chosen college though, which is a bit disappointing too. 🙁
Original post by Sportysam
My son missed his offer too. Only found out because his status changed on UCAS. He has A*A*A*A. It's so disappointing to do so well yet not secure a place. But still no news from his chosen college though, which is a bit disappointing too. 🙁

I assume he did 2 A levels year 12 and 2 year 13. Otherwise how did he miss his offer? Sorry for him, where's he going?
Original post by 210555
I assume he did 2 A levels year 12 and 2 year 13. Otherwise how did he miss his offer?

STEP?

Latest

Trending

Trending