The Student Room Group

Which law degree is better?

Hi,i am from India. i am very confused between BA jurisprudence,llb with philosophy and llb with politics and philosophy. I hope to become a barrister or work with some organisations. Does studying politics and philosophy gives me more career options or advantage?
Original post by Swarnim
Hi,i am from India. i am very confused between BA jurisprudence,llb with philosophy and llb with politics and philosophy. I hope to become a barrister or work with some organisations. Does studying politics and philosophy gives me more career options or advantage?

If you want to become a barrister then you should check either are qualifying law degrees otherwise you can accept that you will be taking the GDL before you can do the BPTC.

Just compare the courses and modules against each other. Jurisprudence will be focused on legal theory. The others will have more mainstream philosophy and the third more politics at the expense of the others. If you dont mind GDL, then just pick the subjects you are most interested in. Obviously on a straight LLB you will do more law.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If you want to become a barrister then you should check either are qualifying law degrees otherwise you can accept that you will be taking the GDL before you can do the BPTC.

Just compare the courses and modules against each other. Jurisprudence will be focused on legal theory. The others will have more mainstream philosophy and the third more politics at the expense of the others. If you dont mind GDL, then just pick the subjects you are most interested in. Obviously on a straight LLB you will do more law.

Yes i already did that.i find jurisprudence and llb with politics very interesting.but my question is ,is there any advantage of this joing degree
Original post by Swarnim
Yes i already did that.i find jurisprudence and llb with politics very interesting.but my question is ,is there any advantage of this joing degree

Advantage in what way? Because you know something about philosophy or politics?

If you want to be a lawyer then neither are going to have enough law content and for both you will need to do extra exams (unless it states they are QLD). I think you either dont appreciate that or you ask the wrong question. Go and do the degree you are most interested in and will enjoy. I havent seen the Jurisprudence syllabus and thats the one I might find more interesting for Law. Your choice. Personally I would do Law or law with something else.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Advantage in what way? Because you know something about philosophy or politics?

If you want to be a lawyer then neither are going to have enough law content and for both you will need to do extra exams (unless it states they are QLD). I think you either dont appreciate that or you ask the wrong question. Go and do the degree you are most interested in and will enjoy. I havent seen the Jurisprudence syllabus and thats the one I might find more interesting for Law. Your choice. Personally I would do Law or law with something else.

Yes they are QLD, i was talking about advantage when it comes to jobs,but anyways thank u for the advice,ill go with just BA Jurisprudence
Original post by Swarnim
Yes they are QLD, i was talking about advantage when it comes to jobs,but anyways thank u for the advice,ill go with just BA Jurisprudence

Well you might as well have said that from the beginning.
Why do you think it will give you an advantage in jobs?

If its at Oxbridge then you will be fine and thats all the advantage you need.
You can do some research and find out where the students went to. They normally say in chambers profiles.
(edited 6 years ago)
Politics and philosophy will give you much more choice if you change your mind with career, and you could still become a barrister after the 1 year law conversion, which is paid for by many institutions.
Original post by student27839
Politics and philosophy will give you much more choice if you change your mind with career, and you could still become a barrister after the 1 year law conversion, which is paid for by many institutions.

To what? A politics teacher at a 6th form college?
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
To what? A politics teacher at a 6th form college?

No, clearly any politics degree produces highly intellectual students and is well-respected. Just because it is not a vocational degree does not restrict options at all. That's like saying a maths degree leads you to only being a maths teacher, or replace that with any school subject... !
Original post by student27839
No, clearly any politics degree produces highly intellectual students and is well-respected. Just because it is not a vocational degree does not restrict options at all. That's like saying a maths degree leads you to only being a maths teacher, or replace that with any school subject... !

No, you missed my point. I was saying that the only job a politics grad could do over a law grad is teaching politics. General grad schemes are going to be equally open to both. To suggest that politics is a more flexible degree is wrong.

Lastly, law is an academic degree and not vocational.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
No, you missed my point. I was saying that the only job a politics grad could do over a law grad is teaching politics. General grad schemes are going to be equally open to both. To suggest that politics is a more flexible degree is wrong.

Lastly, law is an academic degree and not vocational.

Ah okay, I thought you were implying that the politics degree would only lead to a job as a teacher! Yes, that is true about law being academic, but it tends to lead people into careers in law, very much so and with the detail about law learnt, that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending