The Student Room Group

ACCA in UK, job opportunities for a foreigner.

Hi TSR community, I'm not quite sure if I'm posting on the correct sub-forum or not. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I'm a student from Malaysia currently in the final sem of CIE A-Levels and will proceed to a BSc(Hons) Acc&Fin in Sunway Univesity Malaysia (course accredited by Lancaster University UK, getting 2 certs at the end of the course, 9 ACCA exemptions, possible 8 ICAEW exemptions if I'm not mistaken). After that I have 2 choices, ACCA or ICAEW which I would like to pursue them in the UK. In case I have troubles securing a job in the UK, these 2 are the more reputed qualifications that will be recognised in Malaysia.

Let's talk about ACCA. I found out most Unis don't offer ACCA by themselves, but are tied to training providers such as Kaplan and BPP. What is the point of having those training providers branching out their services to certain Universities? Can't ACCA directly assign a certain Uni as a training provider rather than passing it to a middle-man in the first place? Mind me for my stupidity :frown:
Edit: I would also like to know about the difference between International papers and the UK papers, what effects can it bring to my career etc.

I'm not quite sure about ICAEW as I've not really done much research on it. Rumours say that it is slightly more prestigious, harder and course duration is longer than ACCA. Need more info on this, but my focus will be on ACCA in the meantime.

I'm also concerned about job opportunities and immigration policies in the UK. What are the chances of a foreigner being employed in the UK? Achieving a PR status, jackpot luck as I've heard of stricter immigration policies in the UK in recent years?

Thank you for reading this post and replying (for those who did so). Mind me on my proficiency in English as my native tongue is Chinese, and my country's official language is Malay. Tried hard to master English :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
hi! i see that this forum is quite old but currently im in the same situation as you. Mind sharing what u did in the end?
Reply 2
M1c
OP
Original post by chansly9
hi! i see that this forum is quite old but currently im in the same situation as you. Mind sharing what u did in the end?

Hi chansly9!

I'm in my final year now and I've dumped this idea into the trash bin. The reason being that with the amount of money being dumped into this (60-ish thousand MYR calculated 3 years ago), I'm better off investing that money into properties and my investments (I trade stocks and unit trusts haha).

Other than that, some other forums also state that ACCA's status have been degrading compared to more "prestige" qualifications like ICAEW or CAANZ (ICAEW equivalent in Australia/New Zealand) as ACCA is not in the Global Accounting Alliance or something (GAA). So I'm planning to do MICPA-CAANZ all in Malaysia and hopefully get to grind in the Big4.

Before that, I was thinking of an IB stint in Malaysia and wanted to do MFin in Lancaster, but got discouraged due to the rumoured lifeless working conditions. So, yeah :smile:

P.S. I actually left this community for so long and a notification to my inbox brought me back here just to reply you xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending