The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abu_Lahab
like if they hear someone on tv or irl talking about chavs will they know that they are being discussed? something I have always wondered

It's a derogatory term for White working class people - so yes, I imagine they would be aware.
Original post by Cubone-r
It's a derogatory term for White working class people - so yes, I imagine they would be aware.

Many of my friends are "white working class people" and I can assure you they are not chavs. What an utterly snobbish and ignorant assumption.
Original post by VMD100
Many of my friends are "white working class people" and I can assure you they are not chavs. What an utterly snobbish and ignorant assumption.

Did I assume your friends were Chavs? No.

It is a term that can be used and when it is used, it is used on White working class individuals - that can't be disputed.

Not everything is a fight, calm down.
Original post by VMD100

The whole concept+ labelling of people as "chavs" is what is ignorant and snobbish. It is an exaggerated charicature and stereotype of white working class people and, like with most stereotypes, it most often bears very little semblence to reality. The person you quoted merely said that it is a deregotary label, which it is, so they're not being ignorant at all.
Reply 5
Probably.

Nowt wrong with being one though.
Reply 6
Are they aware of anything?
Do ****s know they are ****s? Not normally, that would show self awareness which they are rarely capable of.
Reply 8
You know what really pisses me off? The constant dehumanisation of white working class people. It's the most snobbish and arrogant form of eliteism.

You know I wouldn't half mind it if it was solely used for the archetypal loud-mouthed yob that sits at the back of the bus blaring *****y music out of his phone whilst wearing an Adidas tracksuit and swearing at people going about their business.

Sadly, it's just become another word used for white people with an accent that is perceived as working class. It doesn't matter how successful or respectable they are, people will still consider them a chav because of where they were brought up.

Oh and not to mention, Blacks and Asians can fit all of the criteria for a chav but won't be called a chav simply because of their skin colour.
Original post by Proudboy
You know what really pisses me off? The constant dehumanisation of white working class people. It's the most snobbish and arrogant form of eliteism.

You know I wouldn't half mind it if it was solely used for the archetypal loud-mouthed yob that sits at the back of the bus blaring *****y music out of his phone whilst wearing an Adidas tracksuit and swearing at people going about their business.

Sadly, it's just become another word used for white people with an accent that is perceived as working class. It doesn't matter how successful or respectable they are, people will still consider them a chav because of where they were brought up.

Oh and not to mention, Blacks and Asians can fit all of the criteria for a chav but won't be called a chav simply because of their skin colour.

There are loads of Black people and Asian people that have been called chavs.
Original post by Boredom101

********. Find me one single reference in a TV show, movie or popular culture in general that refers to a black or Asian person as a chav. You won't find one anywhere, I assure you.

Chav obviously has a racial context.
********. Find me one single reference in a TV show, movie or popular culture in general that refers to a black or Asian person as a chav. You won't find one anywhere, I assure you.

Chav obviously has a racial context.

I'm not referring to media or popular culture, I'm referring to real life.
Your statement did not specify in media or popular culture and the reason why "Blacks and Asians aren't called chavs simply because of their skin colour" on tv Is because chavs were described as some white working class individuals that were said to have been "adopting black culture".
That is not to say that black people and asian people haven't been called chavs.
Media and TV isn't real life
(edited 6 years ago)
Your statement did not specify in media or popular culture and the reason why "Blacks and Asians aren't called chavs simply because of their skin colour" on tv
Is because chavs were described as some white working class individuals that were said to have been "adopting black culture".
That is not to say that black people and asian people haven't been called chavs.

First of all, you can't claim that black and Asian people are also called chavs without proof. You apparently witnessing it irl is not proof.

Secondly, 'adopting black culture' has nothing to do with the word 'chav'. The most likely origin is that it is derived from the word 'chavo', and was firstly a derogatory term for white gypsy communities. 'Chavo' means boy in Romani.
Your statement did not specify in media or popular culture and the reason why "Blacks and Asians aren't called chavs simply because of their skin colour" on tv
Is because chavs were described as some white working class individuals that were said to have been "adopting black culture".

Look, I don't know what to tell you. The point being that I've never ever once seen the term Chav being used in a context of an individual that isn't white. End of discussion.
Original post by Wanderlust96
First of all, you can't claim that black and Asian people are also called chavs without proof. You apparently witnessing it irl is not proof.

Secondly, 'adopting black culture' has nothing to do with the word 'chav'. The most likely origin is that it is derived from the word 'chavo', and was firstly a derogatory term for white gypsy communities. 'Chavo' means boy in Romani.

My "apparent" witnessing, isn't by just me but others as well. Just type in asian chav into google check images and see what you find. It has been used on people that aren't white.
My post says there were "described as appropriating black culture" not necessarily that the word derived from black culture.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. The point being that I've never ever once seen the term Chav being used in a context of an individual that isn't white. End of discussion.

You obviously don't go out much in diverse areas. As i aforementioned to a different poster type in asian chav into google and you will find photo's of asian chavs. Which goes to show that is has been used on asian people maybe not black people but it has been used on asians.

I'd just like to point out, I don't agree with the word being used. it's an elitist term and its rude. My point is, it hasn't just been only used on white people.
(edited 6 years ago)
You obviously don't go out much in diverse areas. As i aforementioned to a different poster type in asian chav into google and you will find photo's of asian chavs. Which goes to show that is has been used on asian people maybe not black people but it has been used on asians.

"You obviously don't go out much in diverse areas". You can't be ****ing serious.

My whole neighbourhood is Muslim and Indian. I can count the number of white British people around me on two hands.

I don't think you seem to grasp what I'm saying. In popular culture, movies and TV I have only ever seen white people referered to as chavs, as well as my own anecdotal experience where I have never heard an Asian or black person being described as a chav, yet I have heard plenty of Asians call working class whites chavs. You understand yet?
A chav is VERY recognisable. It's the way they act, spitting on the floor, the way they talk, very ignorant, they are aggressive towards people acting like gangsters and often from very poor backgrounds. It's got NOTHING to do with working class people in anyway, it's a personality type. Unclean, aggressive, often using drugs, disrespect for property, being loud. Un civilised basically.

There are working class people that are very nice and respectable. If you've grown up in england as I'm sure most of you have a chav is very recognisable, it really is a type of personality. Not a class.
"You obviously don't go out much in diverse areas". You can't be ****ing serious.

My whole neighbourhood is Muslim and Indian. I can count the number of white British people around me on two hands.

I don't think you seem to grasp what I'm saying. In popular culture, movies and TV I have only ever seen white people referered to as chavs, as well as my own anecdotal experience where I have never heard an Asian or black person being described as a chav, yet I have heard plenty of Asians call working class whites chavs. You understand yet?

You can be friendlier in your approach.
No need to be a dipshit
obviously I understand what you are saying. But your original statement did not specify in popular culture, movies and TV. I was addressing the general use of the word in day to day life.
Be clearer next time.
(edited 6 years ago)

PRSOM, I agree, I've definitely heard it being used on Black and Asian people before
Reply 19
The word chav is a derogatory term.

Latest