The Student Room Group

How hard is C3 and C4 compared to C1/C2?

So basically I scraped an A in C1 and C2. I'm wondering how much harder it would be to get 90 UMS average in C3 and C4 for an A*.

Scroll to see replies

It really really depends how hard you work, how quickly you grasp new content. The transition from as to a2 is smoother than gcse to as but don't get expecting to have as many marks for doing basic things in a2 modules.
Original post by black1blade
It really really depends how hard you work, how quickly you grasp new content. The transition from as to a2 is smoother than gcse to as but don't get expecting to have as many marks for doing basic things in a2 modules.

What was your UMS from C1 through to C4?
Reply 3
Just got an A* today in maths! I'd say that the person above is correct, the transition is easier but there are single questions worth 8-9 marks and so it starts to become more complex at a2. But i found A2 much more enjoyable and actually easier to be honest but thats just my opinion. As long as you work hard you'll be absolutely fine!
Original post by Ravenous food
What was your UMS from C1 through to C4?

Year 11: c1:82, c2:100, s1:91
Year 12: c3:100 c4:92 m1:88
I did the best in my class at AS btw (probs because everyone else didn't neglect all their gcses but science...), people with lower marks went onto get A* too.
So basically I scraped an A in C1 and C2. I'm wondering how much harder it would be to get 90 UMS average in C3 and C4 for an A*.

If you understand the work then i would say c3 is easy and c4 is abit more challenging imo.

UMS:
c1 96
c2 92
c3 97
c4 100

OCR Mei
Original post by Zaydy3
Just got an A* today in maths! I'd say that the person above is correct, the transition is easier but there are single questions worth 8-9 marks and so it starts to become more complex at a2. But i found A2 much more enjoyable and actually easier to be honest but thats just my opinion. As long as you work hard you'll be absolutely fine!

Can you tell me your UMS from C1 to C4 please?
Original post by HFancy1997
If you understand the work then i would say c3 is easy and c4 is abit more challenging imo.

UMS:
c1 96
c2 92
c3 97
c4 100

OCR Mei

I'd be filled with optimism if you didn't do the most awkward board :P
Can you tell me your UMS from C1 to C4 please?

I did edexcel this year and got an A* and I got,
C1: 92
C2: 83
C3: 89
C4: 100
(S1: 90 in Year 12, M1: 89 in Year 13)

I would say that A2 is harder than AS but if you're worried about it you could retake C1 and C2, a lot of people in my class did this and it definitely helped them to get an A/B if their A2 exams didn't go as well as hoped.
Reply 10
Original post by IzzyReeves

I would say that A2 is harder than AS but if you're worried about it you could retake C1 and C2, a lot of people in my class did this and it definitely helped them to get an A/B if their A2 exams didn't go as well as hoped.

Hey i just received my as maths and i thought to get an a* overall at alevel you need over 90ums in both c3/c4
Reply 11
Original post by Ana31d5
Hey i just received my as maths and i thought to get an a* overall at alevel you need over 90ums in both c3/c4

90 UMS average over C3 and C4 and 480/600 UMS total
Reply 12
Original post by IzzyReeves

My results were c1:83 ums c2 : 83 s1: 66 can i still get an a* in maths alevel next year?
Reply 13
Original post by SGHD26716
90 UMS average over C3 and C4 and 480/600 UMS total

So do i have to get atleast an a in all of the rest of the units to get an a* because in s1 i got 66 ums
Reply 14
Original post by Ana31d5
So do i have to get atleast an a in all of the rest of the units to get an a* because in s1 i got 66 ums

If we assume you average 90 UMS in C3 and C4 to get 180 UMS then you'll need 68 UMS in your last module.
Reply 15
Original post by SGHD26716
If we assume you average 90 UMS in C3 and C4 to get 180 UMS then you'll need 68 UMS in your last module.

Really that low on my last module ? Can you pm me please
Really? Personally, I thought that the jump from C2 to C3 was much greater than that from GCSE to C1.
Although my UMS scores don't really reflect that...
C1: 89, C2: 100, C3: 100 (in one sitting, haven't done C4 yet)

I think everyone reaches a natural point with Maths where they physically just can't get it, and for me that was C4.

Got pretty good scores in every other module but just couldn't do it and it cost me my A* (not that I'm bitter....!)

I don't know what it was about it.

C3 seemed tricky at first but with practice became pretty doable, but the same magic did not work on C4.
Reply 18
Tbh once you understand C3 it’s just as easy and arguably as fun as C1... I like C3, it’s challenging at first but it really does become easy with practice.

As for C4, I enjoyed most of it except vectors and because I do MEI I had a comprehension which is so hard because you either get it or you don’t
Original post by Ana31d5
My results were c1:83 ums c2 : 83 s1: 66 can i still get an a* in maths alevel next year?

Yup. I think the for the minimum you need an average of 90 UMS across C3 and C4 and 80 UMS across all other modules. I think resitting S1 would definitely help.

Quick Reply

Latest