The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forecast
STEP?

Ah could be. Again it's quality > quantity. Let's hope future applicants read this.
Original post by 210555
Ah could be. Again it's quality > quantity. Let's hope future applicants read this.

He may have had an off-day and did not perform well. His A*s clearly show that he has the quality to be at Cambridge.

If he got rejected because of his STEP then it is unfortunate because we all have bad days. Cambridge may have lost one of the finest minds in our generation.
Original post by Wired_1800
He may have had an off-day and did not perform well. His A*s clearly show that he has the quality to be at Cambridge.

If he got rejected because of his STEP then it is unfortunate because we all have bad days. Cambridge may have lost one of the finest minds in our generation.

Very true, gotta feel for him.😟 It happens. I am sure he will be fine wherever he ends up.
Original post by 210555
Very true, gotta feel for him.😟 It happens. I am sure he will be fine wherever he ends up.

I feel for him too. You hear about these cases and it breaks you.
His A*s clearly show that he has the quality to be at Cambridge.

If he got rejected because of his STEP then it is unfortunate because we all have bad days.

What? A* mean nothing for Maths at Cambridge compared to STEP...
Original post by Zacken
What? A* mean nothing for Maths at Cambridge compared to STEP...

My point was that he may have had a bad day which cost his place. Someone may have done well in STEP and go on to be a dull or average student at cambridge. He may go on to win a Fields Medal and demonstrate his intellectual might.

Cambridge, like many top unis, need people that go on to do great things. Hence, my point that Cambridge may have lost a gem. This is true of other near-miss cases.
My point was that he may have had a bad day which cost his place. Someone may have done well in STEP and go on to be a dull or average student at cambridge. He may go on to win a Fields Medal and demonstrate his intellectual might.

Cambridge, like many top unis, need people that go on to do great things. Hence, my point that Cambridge may have lost a gem. This is true of other near-miss cases.

Sure, sure. That's not what I'm contesting; this is:

His A*s clearly show that he has the quality to be at Cambridge.

Surely you don't actually think this...
Original post by Zacken
Sure, sure. That's not what I'm contesting; this is:

Surely you don't actually think this...

I think he does, if he has A*s in Maths and Further Maths and wants to study Maths.
I think he does, if he has A*s in Maths and Further Maths and wants to study Maths.

Then you clearly understand nothing about maths at Cambridge.
Original post by Zacken

^ or about studying maths in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I ageee with Zacken here, many natscis, engineers, econs and compscis get A*A* in maths fm - its not a big deal for mathmos to do it
Obviously the maths in any of these degrees is a great deal easier than the maths tripos
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

My point is the quality level of the candidate that can study maths at Cambridge.

Of course there are other attributes that determine whether you finally get confirmed. However, the quality of the candidate, who has A*s, is decent enough to be admitted there.

For example, if a random Trinity Mathmo tells you that he scored A*s in maths and further maths without knowing his STEP score, you will assume by default that he has the quality to study there.
Original post by k.russell
I think I ageee with Zacken here, many natscis, engineers, econs and compscis get A*A* in maths fm - its not a big deal for mathmos to do it
Obviously the maths in any of these degrees is a great deal easier than the maths tripos

I know that. I was talking about the quality level.

If the AT sets an entry requirment for Mathmos to be A* in Math and FM. Surely, students who meet that level have demonstrated that they have the quality to be there.

I am not saying that once you score A*s you have the automatic right to be there. My original point is that the OP's son demonstrated through his A Levels that he had the quality to be there.
Original post by 210555
I assume he did 2 A levels year 12 and 2 year 13. Otherwise how did he miss his offer? Sorry for him, where's he going?

He did them altogether this year. The A result needed to be A*.
If anyone could offer any advice or thoughts about my situation I would greatly appreciate it. I applied for Psychology and got offered a place at Selwyn ( A*A*A). On results day I got AAA in Biology, Maths and English but wasn't outright rejected. Instead, they said that they were still 'considering' my application. I applied for an emergency remark for English (1 mark away) and my grade moved up to an A*, meaning that overall I got A*AA. However, before I could tell the college about my remark they sent an email saying that I would be notified about whether or not I got a place. I emailed the college on Friday telling them about my situation but have yet to hear back from them (I'm assuming its because of the weekend). Later that day, I found out on Ucas that i had been rejected.

My question is, should I tell the college about my remark? Could it make a difference or is it too late? I feel conflicted about emailing them again as the remark has not made my results actually reach the offer. To provide some context, the typical offer for psychology is A*AA (apparently) and they want you to have studied either Maths, Biology, Chemistry or Psychology at A level.

Any responses would be appreciated :smile:
I know that. I was talking about the quality level.

If the AT sets an entry requirment for Mathmos to be A* in Math and FM. Surely, students who meet that level have demonstrated that they have the quality to be there.

I am not saying that once you score A*s you have the automatic right to be there. My original point is that the OP's son demonstrated through his A Levels that he had the quality to be there.

Meeting the entry requirements is just a benchmark, a lot of my friends met that benchmark but they aren't Oxbridge quality. Why? because applying Oxbridge maths means you need to have mathematical ability that is beyond A levels. Getting the scores does not automatically mean you have the quality to be an Oxbridge mathmo.

To be clear, I am not deriding the OP's son's ability, perhaps he has the quality, just saying that your blanket statement about making the scores = Oxbridge quality is not correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by wolfmoon88
Meeting the entry requirements is just a benchmark, a lot of my friends met that benchmark but they aren't Oxbridge quality. Why? because applying Oxbridge maths means you need to have mathematical ability that is beyond A levels. Getting the scores does not automatically mean you have the quality to be an Oxbridge mathmo.

To be clear, I am deriding the OP's son's ability, perhaps he has the quality, just saying that your blanket statement about making the scores = Oxbridge quality is not correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok
Original post by DLundie1
If anyone could offer any advice or thoughts about my situation I would greatly appreciate it. I applied for Psychology and got offered a place at Selwyn ( A*A*A). On results day I got AAA in Biology, Maths and English but wasn't outright rejected. Instead, they said that they were still 'considering' my application. I applied for an emergency remark for English (1 mark away) and my grade moved up to an A*, meaning that overall I got A*AA. However, before I could tell the college about my remark they sent an email saying that I would be notified about whether or not I got a place. I emailed the college on Friday telling them about my situation but have yet to hear back from them (I'm assuming its because of the weekend). Later that day, I found out on Ucas that i had been rejected.

My question is, should I tell the college about my remark? Could it make a difference or is it too late? I feel conflicted about emailing them again as the remark has not made my results actually reach the offer. To provide some context, the typical offer for psychology is A*AA (apparently) and they want you to have studied either Maths, Biology, Chemistry or Psychology at A level.

My opinion is that you contact them again and say you had a remark.

All the best
Original post by DLundie1

Ask here. :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4869518

Good luck !

The typical entry requirements for maths are A*A*A plus 1,1 in STEP II and III. Someone who has only met some of the requirements has not necessarily 'demonstrated that they have the quality to be there'.

Latest

Trending

Trending