The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sportysam
He did them altogether this year. The A result needed to be A*.

I "think" I get you. So the A needed to be an A* in a subject relevant to his degree. I am assuming he only needed A grades in less relevant subjects, but did amazingly well to achieve A *. Please feel free to correct me here if I am wrong.

It's annoying, I know. Where's he going to?

Just to reassure him. I was rejected last year post interview and went on to achieve A*A*A*A*. I have just finished my first year at Durham and have thoroughly enjoyed it. There are very many people with grades like your sons at other unis ( I have met many many people far cleverer than I). He won't be getting a second rate experience just because he isn't at Cambridge. There are actually advantages to not going, I discovered in my case.

He may be disappointed at the minute, I understand, but I am certain he will be fine. Best wishes 😀
Original post by Forecast
The typical entry requirements for maths are A*A*A plus 1,1 in STEP II and III. Someone who has only met some of the requirements has not necessarily 'demonstrated that they have the quality to be there'.

True, but i doubt that ALL Mathmos achieve those grades to meet those requirements.

So if someone does not meet the grade i.e. they get A*A*A*, miss their STEP offer, but was still let in, does that mean they are imposters because they failed to reach their offer?
Original post by Wired_1800
True, but i doubt that ALL Mathmos achieve those grades to meet those requirements.

So if someone does not meet the grade i.e. they get A*A*A*, miss their STEP offer, but was still let in, does that mean they are imposters because they failed to reach their offer?

Of course not. You'll note that I wrote 'not necessarily'.
Of course not. You'll note that I wrote 'not necessarily'.

True. Hence my original point of meeting a quality level.
True. Hence my original point of meeting a quality level.

:facepalm: Just getting A*A* in Maths and FM is nowhere near the level required in itself, you'd have to see the STEP results to know whether they'd 'demonstrated that they have the quality to be there'. Personally, I got A*A* in A-level maths and I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near the standard required to study Maths at Cambridge.
:facepalm: Just getting A*A* in Maths and FM is nowhere near the level required in itself, you'd have to see the STEP results to know whether they'd 'demonstrated that they have the quality to be there'. Personally, I got A*A* in A-level maths and I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near the standard required to study Maths at Cambridge.

Ok
[utter nonsense]

This has been replied to by others, but clearly you know absolutely nothing about how anything words re maths admissions at Cambridge and it'd be to the benefit of everybody if you stopped trying to pretend you did, thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
This has been replied to by others, but clearly you know absolutely nothing about how anything words re maths admissions at Cambridge and it'd be to the benefit of everybody if you stopped trying to pretend you did, thanks.

Don't get upset. I never said that I did.

I was responding to a post where the poster quoted another poster, who said that their son did not get in, despite having 2 A*s. The poster did not provide extra information on why their child failed to get in.

My response was that the kid may have met a "quality" level (re: 2A*s) but fell on another part e.g. STEP or whatever.

There was then a back and forth about whether 2A*s demonstrates that one has met an arbitary quality level, which i think you do.

I am not an Admissions Tutor or Officer with inside knowledge to the inner workings of the Cambridge system. I was just giving an objective view on the grades of a kid of failed to get in despite having "quality" grades.
Original post by Sportysam
He did them altogether this year. The A result needed to be A*.

wow that does seem really harsh - what subject and college was it?
There was then a back and forth about whether 2A*s demonstrates that one has met an arbitary quality level, which i think you do.

Yes, it's clear you're not an Admissions Tutor if you think A*A*X + U,U,U in STEP meets the quality level for maths at Cambridge.
I realise that there are probably better threads to ask this question in, but hoping someone might have an answer. Waiting on a priority remark for A2 EDEXCEL English Literature - 3 papers. Could anyone suggest how long until I receive the results? I sent them off Thursday 17th, and I'm anxious to let Cambridge know in the event of a positive outcome. Not particularly hopeful, but miracles can happen?
Original post by Zacken
Yes, it's clear you're not an Admissions Tutor if you think A*A*X + U,U,U in STEP meets the quality level for maths at Cambridge.

Still, i did not say that. You are jumping to conclusions.
Original post by Zacken
Still, i did not say that. You are jumping to conclusions.
Okay, we get it, Cambridge mathmos have to be above and beyond A level requirements to get in. Do you both need to keep arguing?
Original post by Steliata
Okay, we get it, Cambridge mathmos have to be above and beyond A level requirements to get in. Do you both need to keep arguing?

I was not arguing. I made a statement and they came after me like I stole a Cambridge perception from them.
Original post by k.russell
wow that does seem really harsh - what subject and college was it?

I "think" it's one those horrible situations a student can find themselves in. I'll use an engineering hypothesis. Imagine an applicant taking A2 as follows:

Maths
Physic
Chemistry
German

Now the offer is A*A*AA. The A* would probably need to be in Maths and Physics as these are requirements for engineering.

Imagine the results are:

Maths A*
Physics A
Chemistry A*
German A*.
The offer has actually been missed. As I say this is a hypothesis and not what the OP has said. However, it can happen and is a horrid outcome for any student.

Which is why future applicants should take note and be a little "strategic" in how many subjects to take to A2. Not something I would have ever realised at 17 making my choices.
Original post by 210555
I "think" it's one those horrible situations a student can find themselves in. I'll use an engineering hypothesis. Imagine an applicant taking A2 as follows:

Maths
Physic
Chemistry
German

Now the offer is A*A*AA. The A* would probably need to be in Maths and Physics as these are requirements for engineering.

Imagine the results are:

Maths A*
Physics A
Chemistry A*
German A*.
The offer has actually been missed. As I say this is a hypothesis and not what the OP has said. However, it can happen and is a horrid outcome for any student.

Which is why future applicants should take note and be a little "strategic" in how many subjects to take to A2. Not something I would have ever realised at 17 making my choices.

Do you suggest taking 3 subjects or 4 for A2?
Do you suggest taking 3 subjects or 4 for A2?

It's not for me to say but at least make an informed decision. One medic lost their place this year because the second A * was in English Lit( irrelevant to medicine) and not a science. Only the student knows their capabilities but at least gather all the info and take into account reformed A levels.

Lots of courses only require 3 A levels and

a*A*A > A* AAA
Original post by 210555
It's not for me to say but at least make an informed decision. One medic lost their place this year because the second A * was in English Lit( irrelevant to medicine) and not a science. Only the student knows their capabilities but at least gather all the info and take into account reformed A levels.

a*A*A > A* AAA

Cheers
Original post by 210555

a*A*A > A* AAA

If they are complementary subjects and you are prepared to work hard, I don't see why not. I do think it's not a decision to be taken lightly, many people are successful into getting into stuff like medicine or Oxbridge with 3 and the 4th adds pressure which isn't always worth it.
@Wired_1800

Latest

Trending

Trending