The Student Room Group

Thousands march against hate speech in Boston

BOSTON: Tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Boston on Saturday to protest a “free speech” rally featuring far-right speakers a week after a woman was killed at a Virginia white-supremacist demonstration.

Rally organisers had invited several far-right speakers who were confined to a small pen that police set up in the historic Boston Common park to keep the two sides separate. The city avoided a repeat of last weekend’s bloody street battles in Charlottesville. Police ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/60149596.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

The right-wing demonstrators eventually abandoned the protest, after being outnumbered 10-to-1 by the counter-protesters.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think "hate speech" is an unhelpful term as it often seems to be levelled by people against ideas that they just disagree with.
We need to be specific about what any particular statement or idea contains, so as to avoid ambiguity or confusion, and also to allow those we are accusing to be able to defend themselves properly.

If it is racist, call it racist. If it is homophobic, call it that. Likewise with anything else that is abusive, discriminatory or violent towards another group, call it out for what it is.

We need to remember that "freedom of speech" applies just as much to those we disagree with as it does to our own ideas (as long as it remains within the law). Despite the obvious *****ery spouted by the far right, I still feel a little uncomfortable about the idea of them being shouted down by a mob. There is a certain unwanted irony in that.
Good on them.
Original post by shadowdweller
The right-wing demonstrators eventually abandoned the protest, after being outnumbered 10-to-1 by the counter-protesters.

To find out who rules you, ask yourself whom you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire
Original post by staircase321
To find out who rules you, ask yourself whom you are not allowed to criticize - Voltaire

You are allowed to criticise anyone, but expecting to do so without question is a very different matter!
Original post by staircase321

It's actually a made up quote - Voltaire never said any such thing.
Original post by yudothis
Good on them.

You think it was good that they shut down this 'hate speech'?

[video]https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgPAPqQjxL?t=0[/video]
Original post by D3LLI5
You think it was good that they shut down this 'hate speech'?

You don't?
You don't?

Did you watch the video?
Original post by QE2
I think "hate speech" is an unhelpful term as it often seems to be levelled by people against ideas that they just disagree with.
We need to be specific about what any particular statement or idea contains, so as to avoid ambiguity or confusion, and also to allow those we are accusing to be able to defend themselves properly.

If it is racist, call it racist. If it is homophobic, call it that. Likewise with anything else that is abusive, discriminatory or violent towards another group, call it out for what it is.

We need to remember that "freedom of speech" applies just as much to those we disagree with as it does to our own ideas (as long as it remains within the law). Despite the obvious *****ery spouted by the far right, I still feel a little uncomfortable about the idea of them being shouted down by a mob. There is a certain unwanted irony in that.

Completely agree. Utterly hypocritical to stifle "fascism" like that.

The First Amendment ffs.
Reply 10
Original post by anarchism101
It's actually a made up quote - Voltaire never said any such thing.
Indeed, like his famous "I disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it" wasn't one of his. It was by his biographer. My favourite Voltaire quote is "Do not believe every utterance attributed to myself".
Original post by D3LLI5
Did you watch the video?

I did not click on your link.
Original post by rockrunride
Completely agree. Utterly hypocritical to stifle "fascism" like that.

The First Amendment ffs.

Nothing hypocritical about meeting intolerance with intolerance. With the same logic that those right wingers target Islam, they can be targeted.
Nothing hypocritical about meeting intolerance with intolerance. With the same logic that those right wingers target Islam, they can be targeted.

Meeting fascism with fascism.
Original post by rockrunride
Meeting fascism with fascism.

Necessary.
Original post by QE2

Yes, precision in language is very important. "Right wing" encompasses a wide area and is not a synonym for white supremacy. Some on the left are behaving in an atrocious manner and they are justifying their actions by labelling anyone who slightly disagrees with them as a Nazi. The term "hate speech" means absolutely nothing now.
I did not click on your link.

Why would you when you can live in a land of delusion and beat up random people because it makes you feel good
Original post by D3LLI5
Why would you when you can live in a land of delusion and beat up random people because it makes you feel good

i don't beat up random people
i don't beat up random people

You are advocating it you melon
Original post by D3LLI5
You are advocating it you melon

I never advocated beating up random people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending