The Student Room Group

Do I have asthma?

I've never had a cough unless I had a cold or sore throat, but recently (been over 4 weeks) I wake up with a lot of mucus at the back of my throat and constantly have to clear it.
More recently I've also been having dry coughs - when I try to breathe in/out it seems like it tickles my throat and because of that I have to cough to be able to breathe.

6 months ago I suddenly developed allergy but I don't know what to. All the symptoms of hay fever, except that it happens when I am in the house, not out.

Asthmatic people, or anyone else do you think it could be asthma?

I'm going to the GP soon, hopefully. How do they check for asthma?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's difficult to say really, do you feel tight chested sometimes? Do you ever sound wheezy? What you're experiencing could be something else as the symptoms of asthma can usually be associated with other things too! But yeah it's definitely best you get it checked out as it could be.

There aren't really any clear diagnostic tests, they'll probably just ask you about your symptoms, listen to your chest/breathing, and probably get you to use a peak flow meter :smile:

Fingers crossed it isn't asthma, it's such a pain sometimes! I hope you get it sorted :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
It's difficult to say really, do you feel tight chested sometimes? Do you ever sound wheezy? What you're experiencing could be something else as the symptoms of asthma can usually be associated with other things too! But yeah it's definitely best you get it checked out as it could be.

There aren't really any clear diagnostic tests, they'll probably just ask you about your symptoms, listen to your chest/breathing, and probably get you to use a peak flow meter :smile:

Fingers crossed it isn't asthma, it's such a pain sometimes! I hope you get it sorted :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I dont, I've had pain in (what seems like) my sternum when I empty my lungs but it come and goes. Sometimes even disappears.
Sound wheezy in the morning but it's more because of the mucus built up..?
Alright, thamkyou I will get it checked out! :smile:

Oh I see thankyou!

What kind of things do you experience when it kicks in? Do you have problems breathing all the time? Just being curious :tongue:
It doesn't sound like my asthma to be fair
It does sound a lot more like a chest infection
If you've had it for two weeks or more then you need to see your gp
They've changed the advice re antibiotics recently and don't give them out all the time for this but you need a proper diagnosis
Reply 4
Ooh OK, my dad has asthma and he ALWAYS has mucus at the back of his, he clears his throat every....15 seconds - 5 minutes :redface: that's why I thought that. But he also had TB in the past, maybe it's because of that...? Though, I've been immunised against TB.

I wouldn't know because I never exercise :lol: thankyou I will give it a try!
Sounds like allergic rhinitis, you produce mucus with this but not usually with asthma.
Reply 6
Original post by Sammylou40
It doesn't sound like my asthma to be fair
It does sound a lot more like a chest infection
If you've had it for two weeks or more then you need to see your gp
They've changed the advice re antibiotics recently and don't give them out all the time for this but you need a proper diagnosis

Chest infection?
Alright thankyou! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Scuddylou
Sounds like allergic rhinitis, you produce mucus with this but not usually with asthma.

OK, I'll look it up to whether or not I can relate to its symptoms.
Reply 8
Mum, dad and older brother have it :lol: thought I was an exception
I'm asthmatic and it doesn't sound like asthma to me. I don't get any mucus.
Original post by LunaCat
No I dont, I've had pain in (what seems like) my sternum when I empty my lungs but it come and goes. Sometimes even disappears.
Sound wheezy in the morning but it's more because of the mucus built up..?
Alright, thamkyou I will get it checked out! :smile:

Oh I see thankyou!

What kind of things do you experience when it kicks in? Do you have problems breathing all the time? Just being curious :tongue:

Hmm, doesn't really sound like asthma to me but I'm not a doctor so definitely just see your GP as planned :h:

When it's more serious I usually just have a really tight chest and struggle to get a sufficient amount of air in, I can't lie down etc. Feels like something heavy is on my chest. And I sound VERY wheezy. If it's just minor it's bearable, just a bit of an inconvenience :tongue: and it will go when I use my inhaler. I don't always have problems, thankfully! I've had it for 19 years now but it seems to be improving with age :smile: mine is usually triggered by dust, some aerosols, cold air, and when I'm run down with a cold :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasim_96
I'm asthmatic and it doesn't sound like asthma to me. I don't get any mucus.

Maybe the mucus is related to my allergy then? :dontknow:
Original post by LunaCat
Maybe the mucus is related to my allergy then? :dontknow:

It could be. I'd see the GP about it but it doesn't seem asthma related.
Original post by Changing Skies
Hmm, doesn't really sound like asthma to me but I'm not a doctor so definitely just see your GP as planned :h:

When it's more serious I usually just have a really tight chest and struggle to get a sufficient amount of air in, I can't lie down etc. Feels like something heavy is on my chest. And I sound VERY wheezy. If it's just minor it's bearable, just a bit of an inconvenience :tongue: and it will go when I use my inhaler. I don't always have problems, thankfully! I've had it for 19 years now but it seems to be improving with age :smile: mine is usually triggered by dust, some aerosols, cold air, and when I'm run down with a cold :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou, I'm relieved! :tongue:

That sounds like such a struggle to live with :redface: :hugs:
Please can anyone help me out???

An hour ago I was really struggling to breathe, coughing so bad so was 100% convinced I was having some sort of '' asthma attack" and I took my mum's reliever inhaler (a new one) without asking her because I couldn't talk :redface: I didn't feel better straight away - more like after 10 minutes or so. My chest felt VERY cold when I took a breath in after taking the inhaler, like....It had toothpaste in it (just so you understand). I told my parents and they told me off that I should have never used it without prescription :frown: I admit I shouldn't have.

So we called 111, told them everything and they just said it was OK to use inhaler but not to again + get appointment tomorrow with GP. They said that cold feeling was probably because i was panicking?!

I'm not convinced :frown: because the person answering didn't even listen properly. It's been more than an hour and I can still coldness in my chest, and it makes me cough.

Why? :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LunaCat
I've never had a cough unless I had a cold or sore throat, but recently (been over 4 weeks) I wake up with a lot of mucus at the back of my throat and constantly have to clear it.
More recently I've also been having dry coughs - when I try to breathe in/out it seems like it tickles my throat and because of that I have to cough to be able to breathe.

6 months ago I suddenly developed allergy but I don't know what to. All the symptoms of hay fever, except that it happens when I am in the house, not out.

Sounds like some form of flu or infection. I would visit a pharmacy to see what they suggest. Try using some cough sweets and herbal teas (like honey or camomile) or heated ribena to clear some of the mucus and soothe your throat.
You might need to see your doctor since it's been going on for a long time. Could be that you have an infection that needs medication or that you have something like hay fever.
You might want to wash your bedding and do some dusting as dead skin and dust can cause hay fever-like symptoms.

You could also have a think about if you've recently got any new products like air freshener, laundry products, food etc.

So yeah I would try to get to see a dr, and in the meantime visit a pharmacy.
GP would probably use a spirometry test for asthma. It's where our breathe into a tube, a bit like a breathalyser test for alcohol, to test how well you are breathing.
Original post by LunaCat

I've had asthma all of my life. It doesn't cause mucus and rarely does it make you cough; you only cough purposefully to clear your restricted airways. My asthma manifests itself by chest and airway tightness which only my inhalers can alleviate. Mucus nearly always means I am developing a chest infection.
Right 10 months later I've had this for OVER A YEAR and cannot cope with this anymore.

I've been to the doctors 5-6 times for this, got an asthma test done, got an allergy test done, and a chest x-ray and they came negative
1. Clearly i have the symptoms of allergy
2. If that x-ray showed up nothing it clearly means its not an infection etc
3. Normal asthma test does not mean the person can't have asthma

I have LITERALLY been taking my reliever inhaler about 2-3 a day at different occasions, BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANNA DIE OF SUFFOCATION like i was really really struggling to breathe in or out and also its my only choice of i don't want to have sleepless nights
I hate my gp so much, all she does is search up my symptoms which o can do myself and tells what it is and give me meds. All useless, how is she even a doctor?? I would go for a different doctor but she's the only female there.
Gonna book another appointment and RANT at her. I'm so annoyed my lungs have detoriated so much, i struggle to breathe without pain or wheezing and producing mucus and coughing 24/7 is not normal so she better not tell me AGAIN that i have acid reflux or whatever else that doesn't make sense. I DON'T HAVE ACID REFLUX, my LUNGS PHYSICALLY ACHE i can't breathe. Stop ok
At least tell me it's a disease that exists
I just want to know what i have
If as a doctor she can't even do that then what is she doing there :banghead: oh and yh she better not tell me to get another appointment when the 10 minutes over because i ain't giving in. Do something, if you don't know, then at least reffer me to a better doctor
Argh
Original post by LunaCat
Right 10 months later I've had this for OVER A YEAR and cannot cope with this anymore.

I've been to the doctors 5-6 times for this, got an asthma test done, got an allergy test done, and a chest x-ray and they came negative

I have LITERALLY been taking my reliever inhaler about 2-3 a day at different occasions, BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANNA DIE OF SUFFOCATION like i was really really struggling to breathe in or out and also its my only choice of i don't want to have sleepless nights
I hate my gp so much, all she does is search up my symptoms which o can do myself and tells what it is and give me meds. All useless, how is she even a doctor?? I would go for a different doctor but she's the only female there.
Gonna book another appointment and RANT at her. I'm so annoyed my lungs have detoriated so much, i struggle to breathe without pain or wheezing and producing mucus and coughing 24/7 is not normal so she better not tell me AGAIN that i have acid reflux or whatever else that doesn't make sense. I DON'T HAVE ACID REFLUX, my LUNGS PHYSICALLY ACHE i can't breathe. Stop ok
If as a doctor she can't even do that then what is she doing there :banghead: oh and yh she better not tell me to get another appointment when the 10 minutes over because i ain't giving in. Do something, if you don't know, then at least reffer me to a better doctor
Argh

Go and see a male doctor then? They see this sort of thing every single day and it's nothing that will be remotely awkward for them. If you feel the current doctor is unhelpful, they can be a fresh set of eyes and form their own opinion.

Asthma will have triggers - exercise / cold air / flu / pollution / smoke / medicines / dust mites / pollens to name but a few. You often have to keep a peak flow diary to monitor whether your breathing is worse at any particular time of the day e.g. morning versus evening. Do you have a peak flow meter? Do you have reduced peak flow readings during these 'attacks' ? Does hayfever medicine (anti-histamines) from the pharmacy help i.e. cetirizine ? Are you a particularly anxious person - and do these attacks come on with stress? You mention you use your ?blue inhaler, that is helping and so useful to know. Any new pets at home in the last year or 2?

Nobody will diagnose you over the internet as you need a thorough history and examination - and your test results need to be interpreted - You don't need to answer any of the above questions to me - it's the sort of stuff the new GP will ask you and so it's food for thought in case any of it is relevant.
Original post by LunaCat

Argh

I'm in a similar situation since I went to my in October I'm 15 and my doctor told me I was to old to have asthma. She prescribed me hayfever nasal spray that didn't do a thing and it took months to get another appointment. When I managed to get a appropriate with else who actually apparently can diagnose asthma. he too gave me hayfever mediation but in tablet form. Used the peak flow meter an said that my score on it was pathetic because it was really low. He was like I don't have asthma because I don't wheeze. Now I'm pretty much am suffering I want to move doctors but can't until I'm old enough sadly. I've had it for nearly two years

Quick Reply

Latest