The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Immy honey
Guys this is very important... do they put on musicals at Oxford ?? And how easily can I get involved and what about the Oxford girl accapella group is there a possible way for me to join?? I got in to Worcester if that helps :smile:

They do put on musicals and some of my friends at Worcester have been involved with them, although how is best to get involved I do not know. Also some current worcester students are in the Oxford Belles so you can speak to them when you arrive :smile:
Original post by MexicanKeith
They do put on musicals and some of my friends at Worcester have been involved with them, although how is best to get involved I do not know. Also some current worcester students are in the Oxford Belles so you can speak to them when you arrive :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I'm super excited I honestly can't wait.
Thanks 😊
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I'm super excited I honestly can't wait.
Thanks 😊

What subject will you be studying? :smile:

EDIT: Also, check out this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0EkM6QQXD0FjXN1CzsUBA
Kathy was in my year at Worcester and just graduated, she's now going on to theatre school (at the royal academy of music I believe). Some of her videos are about her time in musicals at Oxford, particularly, Anything goes. she was also in various other musicals in her time at Oxford (eg singing in the rain).

So, Worcester has been well represented in musical theatre recently :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
What subject will you be studying? :smile:

EDIT: Also, check out this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0EkM6QQXD0FjXN1CzsUBA
Kathy was in my year at Worcester and just graduated, she's now going on to theatre school (at the royal academy of music I believe). Some of her videos are about her time in musicals at Oxford, particularly, Anything goes. she was also in various other musicals in her time at Oxford (eg singing in the rain).

So, Worcester has been well represented in musical theatre recently :smile:

Oh my gosh that's exactly my plan, I want to go to the royal academy after Oxford !!! Thanks for the link I will watch it avidly. I am coming to study biology, so not very music centred so I plan to get involved in the extra music heavily.
Oh my gosh that's exactly my plan, I want to go to the royal academy after Oxford !!! Thanks for the link I will watch it avidly. I am coming to study biology, so not very music centred so I plan to get involved in the extra music heavily.

Certainly doable! :smile:
Certainly doable! :smile:

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Guys this is very important... do they put on musicals at Oxford ?? And how easily can I get involved and what about the Oxford girl accapella group is there a possible way for me to join?? I got in to Worcester if that helps :smile:

time to call the resident Worcester music expert @The_Lonely_Goatherd :tongue:

in every leaflet I've seen, musical extracurricular activities have always been mentioned as having a strong presence - if that counts for anything. xD There are so many societies (including some weird ones), I'd be surprised if musical theatre was not one of the most successful and popular.
Original post by auburnstar
time to call the resident Worcester music expert @The_Lonely_Goatherd :tongue:

in every leaflet I've seen, musical extracurricular activities have always been mentioned as having a strong presence - if that counts for anything. xD There are so many societies (including some weird ones), I'd be surprised if musical theatre was not one of the most successful and popular.

Thank you I do hope so, I'm really looking forward to it. 😊
Original post by blehxxx
Hey guys!
My college just sent me few maths and physics problems I need to solve before I start my course.
I'm an international student so I don't know how things work in UK so I just wanted if we're supposed to solve it on our laptops or on paper.
Also, can someone tell me, in general, if most of our course work is done through the medium of paper or digitally on laptops.
Thank you.

Thanks for the reply!
Just one more stupid question- By 'paper' do you all mean loose sheets of paper or in a notebook?
Thank you.
Reply 529
Original post by blehxxx
Thanks for the reply!
Just one more stupid question- By 'paper' do you all mean loose sheets of paper or in a notebook?
Thank you.

For problem sheets, you'd want a refill pad/loose leaf paper so you can remove pages neatly and hand them in. For lecture notes, either the same and a folder to put them in, or you could write them in a notebook if you wanted :smile: (you could also technically write your lecture notes on a laptop, but very few people do, presumably because it's much easier to write maths and draw diagrams by hand)
Original post by Lau14
For problem sheets, you'd want a refill pad/loose leaf paper so you can remove pages neatly and hand them in. For lecture notes, either the same and a folder to put them in, or you could write them in a notebook if you wanted :smile: (you could also technically write your lecture notes on a laptop, but very few people do, presumably because it's much easier to write maths and draw diagrams by hand)

Thanks!:smile:
Hi all.

Can anyone give me a quick bit of honest advice please?

I've got my a level results of AAA. And an A in Welsh Bac ( Oxford don't take it).

I'm considering applying for history and taking a gap year.

Is it worth it with such "low/average" a levels in comparison to Oxford applicants? I understand many will be 3A* people. So is it pretty much a 0% chance sort of thing?
Original post by DanielSmith1999
Hi all.

I've got my a level results of AAA. And an A in Welsh Bac ( Oxford don't take it).

Is it worth it with such "low/average" a levels in comparison to Oxford applicants? I understand many will be 3A* people. So is it pretty much a 0% chance sort of thing?

It's def worth a go imho. If it were only about getting the top grades, people like me would have never got in :wink:
Hi all.

The grade requirement for History and most of its joint degrees is AAA and so far as you can achieve that, I'd say it's worth the shot. If you get 3A*s great, A*A*A great, A*AA and the same goes for AAA because at the end of the day the offer was met. I'd encourage you to apply if you think that's the environment you'd want to be in and the modules selection is one you'd like to study
Hi all.

I've felt the same way as well, but for music - if it's not the best, is it worth trying? I would say as long as you've met the requirements it is (at least, this is what I concluded xD), and even though 3 A* is more competitive, there are people with 3 A* who get rejected and people with 3 As who get accepted. The interview is an important and human factor, something for which there is no prescribed test. :smile:
Reply 535
Figured I should give an update, even if no one reads this thread anymore: I was ill during my A Level exams, suffered from prolonged periods of dissociation which made it very hard to revise and take exams. I already had rest breaks due to panic attacks so was told I could use them for dissociation too, however due to dissociation lasting days or weeks this wasn't really helpful. Had told college about it but no one mentioned anything about special consideration etc. at the time, was just told "you're so clever it'll be fine".

Fast forward to results day and I didn't meet the offer, got A*AAA (which I'm actually really proud of considering everything that happened) but I needed an A* in FM so was rejected. I phoned up Corpus and they said I could get my school to write a letter about the circumstances and they would consider it. This my school (eventually) did, and within a couple of hours Corpus phoned my school to ask how long my rest breaks were. The staff member at my school told them, but explained that the problem was that rest breaks couldn't help with dissociation.

The next day I received a reply from Corpus, saying that "We have also reviewed the additional information supplied by your school and yourself, and confirmed that your examination board was aware of your medical condition and had made due adjustment for it" and therefore they rejected me.

So I'm now going to Durham, which was my 3rd choice, and it does kind of feel awful but there's nothing I can do lol. So yeah, good luck all and thanks for reading this fairly useless 'get it all off my chest'
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by qeyoo
Figured I should give an update, even if no one reads this thread anymore: I was ill during my A Level exams, suffered from prolonged periods of dissociation which made it very hard to revise and take exams. I already had rest breaks due to panic attacks so was told I could use them for dissociation too, however due to dissociation lasting days or weeks this wasn't really helpful. Had told college about it but no one mentioned anything about special consideration etc. at the time, was just told "you're so clever it'll be fine".

Fast forward to results day and I didn't meet the offer, got A*AAA (which I'm actually really proud of considering everything that happened) but I needed an A* in FM so was rejected. I phoned up Corpus and they said I could get my school to write a letter about the circumstances and they would consider it. This my school (eventually) did, and within a couple of hours Corpus phoned my school to ask how long my rest breaks were. The staff member at my school told them, but explained that the problem was that rest breaks couldn't help with dissociation.

The next day I received a reply from Corpus, saying that "We have also reviewed the additional information supplied by your school and yourself, and confirmed that your examination board was aware of your medical condition and had made due adjustment for it" and therefore they rejected me.

So I'm now going to Durham, which was my 3rd choice, and it does kind of feel awful but there's nothing I can do lol. So yeah, good luck all and thanks for reading this fairly useless 'get it all off my chest'

In fairness, there's no shame in going to Durham! Congrats and good luck!
Original post by qeyoo

Sorry to hear about how unwell you were during your exams. Whilst I appreciate it must feel somewhat of a blow atm, Durham's a fantastic university and may well have better/more flexible support to provide you with, should your panic attacks and/or dissociation continue during your degree. You've done amazingly well and I'm sure you'll succeed and be very happy at Durham :smile:
Original post by qeyoo

I can see how that would feel disappointing just now. But you would have done a tremendous job to have got any A level passes while simultaneously battling your illness. To have got to Durham is a triumph. Corpus are the losers here.
Well, its been a year since everyone applied for 2017 entry and in less than 48 hours we'll finally get to see the new Freshers arrive - always a very exciting day!!

Good luck to everyone starting their courses - at Brasenose, other Oxford colleges, and other Universities. It was great to read your posts on TSR and we hope the sun shines on you on your chosen courses.

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending