The Student Room Group

Parking Fine

Good Morning everyone, hope you had a splendid weekend!

Right, so last Friday I received a letter from a private parking management company suggesting that I had a parked outside a restaurant without buying a ticket, this is going back June time. I knew I'd paid and displayed a ticket with enough time to cover my stay, so I was inevitably confused by the whole situation.

However, after cleaning my car out, I found the original ticket I had put on my dashboard. Everything is accurate with respect to the date and time of parking, but the registration plate section is blank. I remember inputting my reg into the ticket machine, so for some unknown reason it didn't print on the ticket. I can only assume this is the reason the company believe I had not paid for parking. I have written an appeal letter explaining that I did indeed pay for my parking, and I have explained I still have the original ticket.

My question is will my ticket be enough grounds to refuse payment even though it doesn't have my reg on there. Also, what's the worst that can happen if they say I must pay the fine but I refuse, do I have strong leg to stand on if it goes further?

Scroll to see replies

Well, you have the proof of payment, which should suffice.
Reply 2
If it's a private parking co. then I think you can ignore it. If it's the council issued ones then you have to pay. Otherwise, proof of purchase and date should suffice.
if it is a private parking company the only thing they can do would be take you to court if you refuse to pay and unless it's over about£100, it will not go through so if you email or send them a copy of the ticket, make sure it's a copy so you still have the original for proof then leave it and nothing will hapoen
As the ticket is proof of payment, I should imagine you'll be completely fine - sounds more like a technical fault with the machine than anything you could help. I wouldn't worry :smile:
Original post by Jwis
If it's a private parking co. then I think you can ignore it. If it's the council issued ones then you have to pay. Otherwise, proof of purchase and date should suffice.

That is terrible advice, private companies can still take you to court for non payment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I realise private and public co can take me to court, however, surely proof of purchase would be enough to deter them from taking further action:s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by King Leonidas
I realise private and public co can take me to court, however, surely proof of purchase would be enough to deter them from taking further action:s-smilie:

Appeal the fine sending a PHOTOCOPY of the original ticket you purchased. Don't sent the original, keep this as evidence.
There is always conflicting advice
As it is, a private parking fine doesn't exist.
They are not able to legally fine you
It's merely an invoice for what they suggest is a fair price for what they consider to be illegal parking
The law does not let them overcharge you, only for reasonable costs lost by what they say is your failure to pay. So if it's £5 for 2 hours then they can ask you to pay what they lost but not excessive fees
Some companies do go to court but not in many cases.
Your first step is appeal with a photocopy of the original ticket.
After that you'll have to decide if you want to ignore it or pay
Reply 9
Original post by Sammylou40
It's merely an invoice for what they suggest is a fair price for what they consider to be illegal parking
The law does not let them overcharge you, only for reasonable costs lost by what they say is your failure to pay. So if it's £5 for 2 hours then they can ask you to pay what they lost but not excessive fees

Sigh.. again.. reasonable costs encompasses administration and overheads.
Original post by IWMTom
Appeal the fine sending a PHOTOCOPY of the original ticket you purchased. Don't sent the original, keep this as evidence.

The actual ticket was relatively cheap, amounted to around £1.50 (and that was with more time than I needed).

I'm not paying a penny to the greedy *******s.
Reply 11
The actual ticket was relatively cheap, amounted to around £1.50 (and that was with more time than I needed).

I'm not paying a penny to the greedy *******s.

Don't worry, you don't need to pay - you have the ticket.
Original post by IWMTom
Sigh.. again.. reasonable costs encompasses administration and overheads.

I said excessive not reasonable fees
Courts have turned down claims for excessive amounts not what is reasonable
Reply 13
I said excessive not reasonable fees
Courts have turned down claims for excessive amounts not what is reasonable

Your idea of reasonable is the original parking charge, and no more. This is simply not the case in court.
Original post by IWMTom
Your idea of reasonable is the original parking charge, and no more. This is simply not the case in court.

No. Again I said excessive
Original post by Paracosm
As the ticket is proof of payment, I should imagine you'll be completely fine - sounds more like a technical fault with the machine than anything you could help. I wouldn't worry :smile:

I think there have been a few cases of private companies issuing fines to people months after they had parked somewhere and as most of them no longer had the ticket to use as proof of payment (either they threw it away or lost it), they had to pay up.

It's why you occasionally hear people advising you to hold onto the tickets for 6+ months after parking somewhere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Good Morning everyone, hope you had a splendid weekend!

Right, so last Friday I received a letter from a private parking management company suggesting that I had a parked outside a restaurant without buying a ticket, this is going back June time. I knew I'd paid and displayed a ticket with enough time to cover my stay, so I was inevitably confused by the whole situation.

However, after cleaning my car out, I found the original ticket I had put on my dashboard. Everything is accurate with respect to the date and time of parking, but the registration plate section is blank. I remember inputting my reg into the ticket machine, so for some unknown reason it didn't print on the ticket. I can only assume this is the reason the company believe I had not paid for parking. I have written an appeal letter explaining that I did indeed pay for my parking, and I have explained I still have the original ticket.

My question is will my ticket be enough grounds to refuse payment even though it doesn't have my reg on there. Also, what's the worst that can happen if they say I must pay the fine but I refuse, do I have strong leg to stand on if it goes further?

Exactly as @IWMTom and @Paracosm said! As long as you have a ticket, with the date and time of the fine, then don't pay the fine.

Here's an article which may also be of use: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Exactly as @IWMTom and @Paracosm said! As long as you have a ticket, with the date and time of the fine, then don't pay the fine.

Here's an article which may also be of use: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets

Thanks for the article, and everyone for their help.

I've appealed the fine and will wait for their response. If they don't accept my appeal and demand payment, I will simply ignore them and keep my original ticket safe in case it's required as evidence further down the line.
Original post by Paracosm

This. What I would do is tell them to **** off and ignore them. If they go to court I will then show them my proof. They will have wasted even more money and I will still have not paid out. The incoveniance of going to court would be worth it to piss these tossas around.
Reply 19
Original post by Laomedeia
This. What I would do is tell them to **** off and ignore them. If they go to court I will then show them my proof. They will have wasted even more money and I will still have not paid out. The incoveniance of going to court would be worth it to piss these tossas around.

For what is likely just a technical mistake, there's no need to play with the legal system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending