The Student Room Group

Best Shampoos for Greasy Hair

I have very greasy hair. I will wash it in the morning and about 12 hours later it is disgusting and greasy again. I only use conditioner on the very ends of my hair and aim to only wash my hair every other day (unless if I have school or college, I will wash it every morning because it looks a mess). Even when washing my hair alternate days, it doesn't seem to help and my hair is still greasy.
If someone could recommend some good shampoos (preferably through first-hand experience) that would be brilliant. Thank you 😊
Original post by lf5676
I have very greasy hair. I will wash it in the morning and about 12 hours later it is disgusting and greasy again. I only use conditioner on the very ends of my hair and aim to only wash my hair every other day (unless if I have school or college, I will wash it every morning because it looks a mess). Even when washing my hair alternate days, it doesn't seem to help and my hair is still greasy.
If someone could recommend some good shampoos (preferably through first-hand experience) that would be brilliant. Thank you 😊

A shampoo can only wash what is there. Your hair gets greasy because thats what your hair produces. Imo the biggest change is to look at your diet and make sure you arent eating excessive fat/ oily foods. It cna be your age as well. Also dont wash your hair vigorously.

I wash mine every other day, but use less shampoo these days, always used to use way too much. Just use head and shoulders citrus or Johnsons baby is very gentle.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lf5676
Conditioners can leave it still greasy.

What shampoo are you using? What kind of hair have you got?

Original post by 999tigger
A shampoo can only wash what is there. Your hair gets greasy because thats what your hair produces. Imo the biggest change is to look at your diet and make sure you arent eating excessive fat/ oily foods. It cna be your age as well. Also dont wash your hair vigorously.

I wash mine every other day, but use less shampoo these days, always used to use way too much. Just use head and shoulders citrus or Johnsons baby is very gentle.
Not always true. Some people simple have greasy hair, which they cannot help. I always did before I started shaving it off.
Original post by Tootles
Conditioners can leave it still greasy.

What shampoo are you using? What kind of hair have you got?

Not always true. Some people simple have greasy hair, which they cannot help. I always did before I started shaving it off.

I never said otherwise, the OP needs to find the best way of managing and for that they need to explore what changes they can make and whether they help or hinder.
This L'Oréal shampoo is meant to be good for greasy hair. I've never used it myself so can't say, but reviews online seem positive; http://www.boots.com/loreal-paris-elvive-extraordinary-clay-re-balancing-shampoo-250ml-10209640
Original post by lf5676

Have you tried a dry shampoo?
I have very greasy hair but recently I haven't been rubbing the shampoo into the roots as much just kind of pushing it back over my hair without massaging it in. I've found that I only need to wash every two days now whereas before, like you, after 12 hrs or so it'd look gross. I have pretty short hair though, I'm guessing you're female with long hair?
Reply 7
Thank you everyone. I usually use some kind of herbal essences shampoo. I shall try out all of your suggestions ☺️ Everyone in my family has greasy hair, so I think it's just genetics.
Original post by Cherry-Cola
Have you tried a dry shampoo?

Dry shampoo doesn't really work on my hair :/

Original post by Sabertooth
I have very greasy hair but recently I haven't been rubbing the shampoo into the roots as much just kind of pushing it back over my hair without massaging it in. I've found that I only need to wash every two days now whereas before, like you, after 12 hrs or so it'd look gross. I have pretty short hair though, I'm guessing you're female with long hair?

thank you ☺️ yes, I am female with long hair
Original post by lf5676
thank you ☺️ yes, I am female with long hair

I think the roots are where the "grease" is produced so it might work for you too even with longer hair. It took me a few weeks/couple months before I noticed a difference, but give it a go, hopefully you'll get good results too! :smile:

Btw, to actually answer you, I agree with the other guy who mentioned not using too much shampoo - I also cut back on the amount I have been using and that seems to have helped. I just use some cheap hypoallergenic shampoo from Walmart, not even a specific greasy hair one but with using less and not rubbing it in my hair is so much better.

Good luck.
Original post by lf5676

Dry shampoo doesn't really work on my hair :/

Which dry shampoo did you use? Some of them are better than the others. Those with conditioner in it do not work well at all. Also, you can find them which would match your hair colour if its darker so its not that visible.
Reply 10
Original post by Sabertooth
I think the roots are where the "grease" is produced so it might work for you too even with longer hair. It took me a few weeks/couple months before I noticed a difference, but give it a go, hopefully you'll get good results too! :smile:

Btw, to actually answer you, I agree with the other guy who mentioned not using too much shampoo - I also cut back on the amount I have been using and that seems to have helped. I just use some cheap hypoallergenic shampoo from Walmart, not even a specific greasy hair one but with using less and not rubbing it in my hair is so much better.

Good luck.

thank you so much!
Original post by Cherry-Cola
Which dry shampoo did you use? Some of them are better than the others. Those with conditioner in it do not work well at all. Also, you can find them which would match your hair colour if its darker so its not that visible.

I've used more or less every kind of Batiste shampoo and other supermarket brands. None of them work perfectly, but I've found Batiste to be far superior to the others. My hair is a light blonde.
Original post by Suzanne123
This L'Oréal shampoo is meant to be good for greasy hair. I've never used it myself so can't say, but reviews online seem positive; http://www.boots.com/loreal-paris-elvive-extraordinary-clay-re-balancing-shampoo-250ml-10209640

I use this and it's pretty good

Also sometimes washing your hair too often can mean you strip it of essential oils and your body starts producing even more oil in order to compensate, turning it into a cycle
try drinking lemon water in the morning!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest