The Student Room Group

Should I Stop Taking Notes?

Taking notes off a textbook or a lesson is fair enough, but revision guides...
I was taking notes off my CGP revision guide, but I had realised that my revision guide had condensed the information so much that I could barely condense it any further myself, and so I would be writing 90% of the same thing. It would take me a lot of time to make those notes, I just need to get through all the content before school starts, so that I can stay ahead of the work. I don't even know what to use the notes for, memorising? That would seem extremely difficult, I could use flashcards but that's another story. So, should I change my revision technique once again, but this time do practice questions and use the revision guide for reference?
Then, after that, complete exam questions/past papers?
One of my revision guides actually says that note-taking is extremely inefficient and should only be taken shortly before the exam!
Don't use CGP to make notes use the actual textbooks, there is much more info and its easier to understand when there is more info.

Also when you use notes its good to do headings,sub heading etc.. but I like to turn my sub headings into exam questions or do essay plans :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
Don't use CGP to make notes use the actual textbooks, there is much more info and its easier to understand when there is more info.

This. ^ :top:
You may remember the information, but it doesn't mean you understand the information. By learning only from revision notes, you are risking to face a HUGE failure once you are sitting the exam.

Better grab yourself a textbook and plant those ideas deep into your brain. Become a sensei.
Practise questions are the way forwards to make sure you do know what you're doing. Try a mixture of easy, medium, hard and extra hard questions. Also, if you find that you can answer the questions with ease. Stop. There's no point revising stuff you already know and feel confident at, keep refreshing it in your mind, but other than that, focus on those questions you struggle with and try to master that.
Reply 5
Original post by possibly human
You may remember the information, but it doesn't mean you understand the information. By learning only from revision notes, you are risking to face a HUGE failure once you are sitting the exam.

Better grab yourself a textbook and plant those ideas deep into your brain. Become a sensei.

What are the best textbooks for GCSE?
Also, do I need to use textbooks? For one, I have my lessons at school. I also could watch YouTube videos etc.
If you have any free resources please list them.
Everyone suggests CGP revision guides, so how should I use them?
Reply 6
I took notes in class, made up cheat sheets, but when I was a bit confused about something in my English Language class I referred back to the revision guides. They were very good for giving clear information of the requirement for each question which I didn't get until near to the exam.

For my other class I used the text book for notes and then cheat sheets. I had to make up my own revision guide as there wasn't one readily available for the subject.
Reply 7
Original post by Purdy7
I took notes in class, made up cheat sheets, but when I was a bit confused about something in my English Language class I referred back to the revision guides. They were very good for giving clear information of the requirement for each question which I didn't get until near to the exam.

For my other class I used the text book for notes and then cheat sheets. I had to make up my own revision guide as there wasn't one readily available for the subject.

Geez, can someone at least tell me the name of the damn textbook?! lmao
Reply 8
Original post by korosensei
Geez, can someone at least tell me the name of the damn textbook?! lmao

Let me have a look for you:

The one I used was:

CGP GCSE AQA
English Language
For the Grade 9-1 Exams

Complete Revision and Practice
ISBN 978-1-78294-414-0

I've just received my exam result and I got an 8 with merit so A* merit equivalent.

PS I also used Mr Bruffs downloadable book which doesn't cost very much, I think it's about £4. I just printed a copy off and smothered it in highlighter pen. He also does You Tube videos that covers most of what is in the book.
http://mrbruff.com/product/mr-bruffs-guide-to-gcse-language/
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Purdy7
Let me have a look for you:

The one I used was:

CGP GCSE AQA
English Language
For the Grade 9-1 Exams

Complete Revision and Practice
ISBN 978-1-78294-414-0

I've just received my exam result and I got an 8 with merit so A* merit equivalent.

PS I also used Mr Bruffs downloadable book which doesn't cost very much, I think it's about £4. I just printed a copy off and smothered it in highlighter pen. He also does You Tube videos that covers most of what is in the book.
http://mrbruff.com/product/mr-bruffs-guide-to-gcse-language/

I have the revision guide, but not the workbook, in that sense I might buy it or just go straight to the past paper questions
Reply 10
I have the revision guide, but not the workbook, in that sense I might buy it or just go straight to the past paper questions

I never used a workbook, and we had a few past paper because it was the first year the exam was taken.

The questions are all about analysing text and getting underneath what is written. For instance one bit was about a mother being disappointed with her dark son, who had a black pet - this indicated that she felt he was evil and a familiar (witches pet) etc. It's more about the why it was written, how the author makes the reader feel, the under laying emotions of the characters. Nothing much to do with Grammar at all.

You will need to know grammar techniques (ie verbs, nouns, metaphors etc, and also structure such as repetition, sentence lengths, types etc). There's a bit of creative writing in the first paper and the second is more about articles, letter etc type texts.

If you want the workbook look at picking up a cheap copy on Ebay or seeing it at the library, just to see what it's like.

Have a look at one of the past papers just to see the questions, or let me know and I can see what my lot has on it if I kept them and the you can pretty much do it with any book you pick.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Purdy7
I never used a workbook, and we had a few past paper because it was the first year the exam was taken.

The questions are all about analysing text and getting underneath what is written. For instance one bit was about a mother being disappointed with her dark son, who had a black pet - this indicated that she felt he was evil and a familiar (witches pet) etc. It's more about the why it was written, how the author makes the reader feel, the under laying emotions of the characters. Nothing much to do with Grammar at all.

You will need to know grammar techniques (ie verbs, nouns, metaphors etc, and also structure such as repetition, sentence lengths, types etc). There's a bit of creative writing in the first paper and the second is more about articles, letter etc type texts.

If you want the workbook look at picking up a cheap copy on Ebay or seeing it at the library, just to see what it's like.

Have a look at one of the past papers just to see the questions, or let me know and I can see what my lot has on it if I kept them and the you can pretty much do it with any book you pick.

You were comparing literature with language, right?
Reply 12
You were comparing literature with language, right?

That is what I thought when I learnt the curriculum. The English language exam is very much like the old Literature exam. If you can do the later you should by rights be able to do the first.

You wont be given books to memorise, you get surprise text on the exam day, as part of the paper.

Paper 1 = is about the analyse of set text, finding information in the text, analysing the use of nouns, verbs, metaphors, alliterations, assonance and why the author used it. Then it's how the piece is written why the sentence and paragraphs are certain lengths, things like linear time lines, foreshadowing, and mirroring etc. Then a question on whether you agree or disagree with a statement with the last a short essay/descriptive/story.

Paper 2 = first question is true/false, then summarise differences, following on with effects of the use of language on the reader, then comparing perspectives/points of view with the last question being to write an article, letter, essay, etc with your own opinion.

So as you can see not much to do with grammar old school style, but more to do with literature analysis.

Previously I had failed the old school EL exam, but smashed this one because it was more like literature.

I used the CGP complete revision and practice guide if I hadn't mentioned it before
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending