The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRDiablo
My only comments in that reply were to try to help, and I'm sorry if they were misleading, however I was only saying what I've heard and I wanted to express my limited knowledge on the subject being an applicant myself. I'm clearly out of place, I didn't intend to be misleading and I won't reply again.

Oh no, thank you for your reply earlier! I too heard the same thing at the RVC open day but unfortunately I guess it's not the case for all of the universities. Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Annabelle0700
Oh no, thank you for your reply earlier! I too heard the same thing at the RVC open day but unfortunately I guess it's not the case for all of the universities. Good luck with your application :smile:

Thank you, good luck to you too :smile:
My only comments in that reply were to try to help, and I'm sorry if they were misleading, however I was only saying what I've heard and I wanted to express my limited knowledge on the subject being an applicant myself. I'm clearly out of place, I didn't intend to be misleading and I won't reply again.

:lolwut: ???

I think you have misinterpreted my post as an attack rather than a clarification?
Thank you both very much for your replies!

I was planning on applying to Cambridge, RVC, Nottingham, Bristol and Surrey. I really can't find much information on how many weeks Nottingham and Bristol would like but yes Liverpool is definitely out of the question. For the RVC, if I were to gain another week in a small animal practice do you think this would make my work experience satisfactory?

Thanks again!!

you can only apply to 4 vet schools in any one application cycle, although you can apply to one of them for a non-vet course (e.g. you could apply to Nottingham, Bristol, Cambridge & Surrey and biovet at RVC etc.). When I applied, Notts, RVC & Bristol all had similar WEX requirements, which were about 6 weeks, min of 2 which were in a vets. An extra week SA vets would not hurt :smile:
Thank you both very much for your replies!

I was planning on applying to Cambridge, RVC, Nottingham, Bristol and Surrey. I really can't find much information on how many weeks Nottingham and Bristol would like but yes Liverpool is definitely out of the question. For the RVC, if I were to gain another week in a small animal practice do you think this would make my work experience satisfactory?

Thanks again!!

Unfortunately, you can only apply to 4 veterinary uni's.
Hi,

I emailed a riding school to see if I could help out and get some work experience. The riding school responded saying that's fine but I would need to provide my own insurance.

I have no knowledge of insurance etc. so I was wondering whether anyone knew whether insurance is complusory? Does anyone know what type of insurance to get which would cover this and only for a couple of weeks?

Thank you so much !!!
Original post by eilidhhhh
Hi,

I emailed a riding school to see if I could help out and get some work experience. The riding school responded saying that's fine but I would need to provide my own insurance.

I have no knowledge of insurance etc. so I was wondering whether anyone knew whether insurance is complusory? Does anyone know what type of insurance to get which would cover this and only for a couple of weeks?

Thank you so much !!!

It isn't compulsory, but it is at the discretion of each place you do work experience. It is worth double checking that you wouldn't be covered under their Employer's Liability or Public Liability insurance.

When I have had to do this, I ended up taking out a week or two of travel insurance (just say you're travelling within the UK), and if possible put down manual work and/or volunteering and/or farm work as activities that you'll get involved in. One of my friends (who had a gap year) needed insurance for a few places so ended up just buying an entire year of health insurance, but I couldn't find contracts short enough to cover what I wanted.

I have no idea whether what I did would actually stand up in court but it's what I did :dontknow:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It isn't compulsory, but it is at the discretion of each place you do work experience. It is worth double checking that you wouldn't be covered under their Employer's Liability or Public Liability insurance.

When I have had to do this, I ended up taking out a week or two of travel insurance (just say you're travelling within the UK), and if possible put down manual work and/or volunteering and/or farm work as activities that you'll get involved in. One of my friends (who had a gap year) needed insurance for a few places so ended up just buying an entire year of health insurance, but I couldn't find contracts short enough to cover what I wanted.

I have no idea whether what I did would actually stand up in court but it's what I did :dontknow:

Aw that's great! Thank you very much! I would rep you but I think I keep repping you lately and it won't let me anymore hahaha. But I'll look into that type of insurance because I'm not seeing anything else so that's helpful :smile:
Reply 348
Hi all, I'm off to vet school this September so I have lots of experience with the application process and am here to answer any questions! I applied to RVC, Bristol, Liverpool and Cambridge, I got offers for all of them and Im now going to Cambridge :smile: it is possible guys just try your best! If you have any questions (particularly with those specific unis) then please just ask and I'll try my best to answer!

Also if you'd like to follow my time at uni (and ask any further questions) then feel free to follow me on my new Instagram account which I made yesterday specifically for posting about my uni experience: lifeofacambridgevetstudent
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Alicepg
Hi all, I'm off to vet school this September so I have lots of experience with the application process and am here to answer any questions! I applied to RVC, Bristol, Liverpool and Cambridge, I got offers for all of them and Im now going to Cambridge :smile: it is possible guys just try your best! If you have any questions (particularly with those specific unis) then please just ask and I'll try my best to answer!

Also if you'd like to follow my time at uni (and ask any further questions) then feel free to follow me on my new Instagram account which I made yesterday specifically for posting about my uni experience: lifeofacambridgevetstudent

Hey :smile: offers to all is inspiring, how much Work Experience did you have?
Hiya I'm a retake student applying to veterinary this year. My grades this year weren't great and I'm worried that I probably will be overlooked by the RVC as they say on their website that retake students needs a minimum of BBC on their first time round, I got BCC (four marks off a B in chemistry so I'm going for a remark.) If my grade doesn't go up to a B in chemistry should I not bother applying to the RVC? (Which would be a shame as it was one of my favourite unis)
Reply 351
Hey :smile: offers to all is inspiring, how much Work Experience did you have?

aw thank you! it was a lot of hard work!!!
I did a ridiculous amount of work experience but it was mainly because the area I live in is very farmy and theres loads of vets around and that I knew I wanted to be a vet since I was around 4....!!
I did the following which added up to around 47 weeks or something (completely excessive!):

Vets:
- 2 weeks equine vet (1 week was after I applied though)
- 6 weeks ish at one particular small animal vet (2 weeks were as their 'cleaner' while he was on holiday)
- 2 weeks at a mixed animal vet (but in Ghana (this was very exciting and gave me something extra and different to talk about in my interviews) (with the company called 'projects abroad'))

Husbandry:
- 2 weeks lambing (one week each at 2 different places)
- 3 years working on a dairy farm every Sunday afternoon (roughly 3-4 hours)
- 7 months working at my local RDA every Wednesday 5:30-8:00
- 1 week at Blackpool zoo (with a company called Sam Sykes)
- 2 days at a local kennels (this was a last minute thing just before I applied! I continued after my application so did around 7 days in the end)
- 6.5 years riding and helping out at local stables and livery yards 2-3 times a week (riding was my hobby so this wasn't exactly planned work experience if you get what I mean)
- 1 day in an abattoir

:smile:
Reply 352
Original post by alexriversxx
Hiya I'm a retake student applying to veterinary this year. My grades this year weren't great and I'm worried that I probably will be overlooked by the RVC as they say on their website that retake students needs a minimum of BBC on their first time round, I got BCC (four marks off a B in chemistry so I'm going for a remark.) If my grade doesn't go up to a B in chemistry should I not bother applying to the RVC? (Which would be a shame as it was one of my favourite unis)

do you know when you'll get your results back? if you get them back before you apply and they don't move up (although hopefully they will!) then I'd ring up RVC and tell them how close you were and ask whether they would still consider you (4 marks is nothing!). Because if they 100% definitely won't consider you and reject you at the first stage then as you can only apply to 4 unis then that may be a waste of an application? but if they say they'd consider you then definitely apply!!!
University of Liverpool are one of the best for veterinary science just to put it out there
Original post by Alicepg
do you know when you'll get your results back? if you get them back before you apply and they don't move up (although hopefully they will!) then I'd ring up RVC and tell them how close you were and ask whether they would still consider you (4 marks is nothing!). Because if they 100% definitely won't consider you and reject you at the first stage then as you can only apply to 4 unis then that may be a waste of an application? but if they say they'd consider you then definitely apply!!!

I'm waiting for my school to reply to me but I'm going to try and fast track it and that normally take a couple of weeks I believe? I'm going to definitely ring them about it as yes, 4 marks is not much at all aha. Thank you for the advice x
Original post by Louiseee_
you can only apply to 4 vet schools in any one application cycle, although you can apply to one of them for a non-vet course (e.g. you could apply to Nottingham, Bristol, Cambridge & Surrey and biovet at RVC etc.). When I applied, Notts, RVC & Bristol all had similar WEX requirements, which were about 6 weeks, min of 2 which were in a vets. An extra week SA vets would not hurt :smile:

Ah yep I though it was just the 4 but couldn't quite remember, thank you! Will try to squeeze in as much experience as I can before the deadline now :smile:
Original post by JodieA.xx
University of Liverpool are one of the best for veterinary science just to put it out there

Liverpool is a very good vet school for definite but what are you basing 'one of the best', on? I don't like using league tables because I think they are are very subjective, but both the Guardian and The Complete University Guide have put Cambridge as the 'best' in the UK this year, with Liverpool in fifth or sixth place. The global rankings but RVC in third place (behind two universities in the US), and the next UK university on their list is Glasgow. RVC, Edinburgh and Glasgow all have accreditation across the globe, so clearly their degrees are very highly respected. RVC have also come out top for student satisfaction this year, of all UK universities, not just veterinary ones, but Nottingham consistently comes out top when only vet schools are compared.

It is true that Liverpool is an excellent vet school, especially for equine, but so are many others in the UK. At the end of the day people need to make a decision based on many factors. For example I didn't particularly want to live in Liverpool which is why I didn't firm them. I also know that I would have hated Cambridge and never would have fit in there, hence I never even applied. What's 'the best' for some people may not be the same for others.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JodieA.xx

All the universities are as good as each other and all have different things to offer. No university is better than another out there. Everyone comes out with a veterinary medicine degree at the end of the day.

And I'm a liverpool student
(edited 6 years ago)
Does anyone know what each uni's feel about people retaking the year?
Original post by alexriversxx
Does anyone know what each uni's feel about people retaking the year?

Most of them are okay with it; RVC, Liverpool, Surrey and Nottingham for example. Edinburgh and Cambridge are two that don't like resits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending