The Student Room Group

National Probation Service Recruitment Process

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sscoobert
Hi guys,I just finished the PO assessment for the nov. Intake and just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light for me on how likely i am to pass.I've worked as a student mentor at uni and a prison researcher in UK prisons for the last year. A lot of people in my assessment group were current PSOs and I'm worried im at a severe disadvantage because I haven't taken the PSO route. Is anyone able to reassure me it's not a complete loss? I thought the day went well but now I'm panicking haha.Thanks!

Hi,

I'm not going to divulge too much because I believe everyone should have a fair / equal chance but I will say the following....

I currently work for the service, & many people would think "yep, you've got an advantage", no you haven't. Everyone is treated exactly the same. Yes some may have more experience than others but it's how YOU perform / present yourself on the day.

I wouldn't feel disheartened at all, just think you've done what you can, & that's that.
It is incredibly tough, took me several attempts so don't feel upset if this time you aren't successful. Learn from it so the next time you apply you'll be better :-).

PS: I'm not a PSO, I do Admin, going straight into TPO.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi I was wondering if you could advise me regarding the 1st question on the Probation Services officer application form. When sending my reply to the student, I was wondering if I should mention in a subtle way about concerns he may be taking drugs again and that he can still get support with it? Thank you in advance
Hello everyone :smile:

I know on the assessment information it states which competencies will be marked at each part of the assessment day. I just wanted to ask to those who have had the assessment day, in the interview did they just ask questions in regards to the competencies they stated on the information sheet?

Thanks in advance!
Thank you so much for all of the useful posts I have my assessment day in London in august, I am panicking about the written test and don't know if I can practise anything to improve my chances of getting in prior to the test? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you
Hi all,

I'm glad you all got to the next stage and or found the next stage not too bad. I emailed them and said I couldn't go as work wouldn't give me the time off :-( . However today I still receive an email saying thank you for attending and to select a preferred location. Will be a long shot but filled it out any way seen as i'm gutted I couldn't make it.
Any one else have this? or was it just a generic email ?

If not then i'll have to try do it all again if they would even consider me.
:-)
Original post by amandahowe
Hi all,

I'm glad you all got to the next stage and or found the next stage not too bad. I emailed them and said I couldn't go as work wouldn't give me the time off :-( . However today I still receive an email saying thank you for attending and to select a preferred location. Will be a long shot but filled it out any way seen as i'm gutted I couldn't make it.
Any one else have this? or was it just a generic email ?

If not then i'll have to try do it all again if they would even consider me.
:-)

Could you not have used a days leave? Not ideal but 🤷🏽?.... I wouldn't have said it was for an interview either! You just need the day off!
Reply 26
Hi everyoneI have my assessment on the 9th AugustI am a bit worried about the writing exerciseany tips? do I need to follow any specific structure? such as introduction, main body etc...Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry about the indirect approach jus wondering when you applied as a probation service officer what were the compentcy questions they asked?

Many thanks
Hello - all those that have interviewed for this role, how long after your assessment centre did you hear back?

I went to the assessment centre a few days ago and they are saying 4 weeks!

Thanks x
Hi all, I've completed the application form and the online test. Can anyone tell when I'm likely to hear if I'm through to the assessment day?
Hi thank you for your post it was really helpful I've been selected to the assessment centre stage. I'm really nervous about writing a report on the spot and the actual interview under pressure. Is it really that bad ? . My spelling is awful haha Many thanks Louise
Hello All,
I was lucky enough to be successful at interview for PSO and I have my start date.

Could anyone shine light on the vettting process and also any tips on the day to day role of Pso.

I have read all the info on the site but would like from perspective of an employee rather than employer
Thanks x
Reply 32
I also was successful and have my start date. Congratulations to you! I am waiting to receive the email with the vetting questionaire link, have you received this yet? I also am interested in how the vetting process works.
Original post by shell_xx_shell
Hello All,
I was lucky enough to be successful at interview for PSO and I have my start date.

Could anyone shine light on the vettting process and also any tips on the day to day role of Pso.

I have read all the info on the site but would like from perspective of an employee rather than employer
Thanks x
Original post by CoriUK
I also was successful and have my start date. Congratulations to you! I am waiting to receive the email with the vetting questionaire link, have you received this yet? I also am interested in how the vetting process works.

Hello! (congratulations both)!

I have also been successful and given a start date. In regards to the vetting process I emailed them about this and they said that I should receive an email within 10 working days.

Do either of you know where you have been placed yet?
Reply 34
Hi
Congrats!! I was also told could take up to 10 days after emailing them...I have been informed where I will be placed via email.
Have a good day ladies
Cori
Original post by AmyJWard

I have also been successful and given a start date. In regards to the vetting process I emailed them about this and they said that I should receive an email within 10 working days.

Original post by AmyJWard

Hello yes I was told when they called to offer me the job. I am West Midlands area and know my offfice address.

Congrats all. My start date is 23/10/17... everyone different? X
Reply 36
Same start date for me 😊I'll be in London
Original post by shell_xx_shell
Hello yes I was told when they called to offer me the job. I am West Midlands area and know my offfice address.

Congrats all. My start date is 23/10/17... everyone different? X
Hey,

I have the same start day for the Midlands. I would like to know more about the vetting process if anyone knows? For those that have been offered a job has the status on your application changed yet?

Congratulations to you all!!
Original post by Saf02
Hey,

I have the same start day for the Midlands. I would like to know more about the vetting process if anyone knows? For those that have been offered a job has the status on your application changed yet?

Congratulations to you all!!

Mine says on Hold. Where will you be based in Midlands? I'm midlands too so congratulations 😁
Oh yes and mine..thats awesome, I will be based in west Brom and you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending