The Student Room Group

What to do for EPQ???

Hi, I've enrolled for the EPQ programme and I have no idea what to base it on. I had an idea before of what I wanted to do, like something based on law but I'm not doing an A-Level in law so I don't know what exactly to do it about. Any suggestions? I'm currently studying Biology, Psychology and English (:
Reply 1
Im in exactly same situation.. was gonna do it on the how religious laws differ in different countries (france, UK, Sharia law) but may just drop it now lol
Reply 2
Original post by dlaws.
Im in exactly same situation.. was gonna do it on the how religious laws differ in different countries (france, UK, Sharia law) but may just drop it now lol

Thanks for your reply!!
That sounds good, i was doing it do boost myself for university and doing law but i have no idea. I looked at the syllabus for degree law but i cant piece together a good enough question
are there any specific areas in law that interest you, which you wish to learn more about?
Reply 4
Original post by ashaxo99
are there any specific areas in law that interest you, which you wish to learn more about?

Yeah i was thinking about doing something with criminal law or maybe family law but I don't know how to phrase a question with it
Reply 5
Original post by Misbah03
Thanks for your reply!!
That sounds good, i was doing it do boost myself for university and doing law but i have no idea. I looked at the syllabus for degree law but i cant piece together a good enough question

me too but it would only decrease a university offer by 1 grade (max. for most of my uni choices it wouldn't make a difference to the offer and would more likely take away time that I could spend making notes for my A Level choices).
Anyway - if you are set on it - and like family/criminal law, I suggest searching for some more controversial cases that you can form your own opinion on, then base the question around the controversy - argue it bilaterally but definitely come up with a conclusion. Use specific (real) cases. Or perhaps you disagree with a certain law? Or perhaps there are some laws relating to family that are not moral or even ethical and base your question on whether law is there to be moral or practical or what?

Lol that paragraph probably doesn't make sense I actually just went off thinking of ideas I could do.. but just bounce around ideas like that till something sparks your interest - it'll be easier if the question genuinely interests you.
Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by Misbah03
Hi, I've enrolled for the EPQ programme and I have no idea what to base it on. I had an idea before of what I wanted to do, like something based on law but I'm not doing an A-Level in law so I don't know what exactly to do it about. Any suggestions? I'm currently studying Biology, Psychology and English (:

I did mine on Euthanasia to link with the medical degree I wanted to go to. Although I didn't take Psychology, I have developed an interest in the most controversial experiments that have taken place in history such as Milgrams electric shock experiment or the Stanford prison experiment. I would have made a question like 'Are unethical psychological experiments worth it?' or 'Should researchers be punished for their experiments?'. You could even do a full dissertation on one of the studies that interests you. Obviously these are all coming from the top of my head so I am sure you can come up with much better ideas.
Try to do something you have a genuine interest in. I applied for maths about 5 years ago, and my EPQ didn't seem to have any bearing on whether or not I received an offer -- but pursuing a mathematical topic which I felt passionate about is something I felt very proud of, and as a result, it hardly felt like I was taking on a bigger workload than what I already had at the time because it was something I naturally enjoyed learning about (though I do remember there being a lot of tedious admin involved with keeping logs and other related things).
Reply 8
Definitely do something you are passionate about, you're going to be writing and researching it for hours on end so make sure it's enjoyable. When deciding a topic, the best thing to do is to find an area YOU have an opinion about. I finished my EPQ this March and my topic was rather abstract, consisting loosely of international law in relation to the Philippines drug war situation. One of the main parts of writing your EPQ is arguing your question, so make sure you can identify an argument for and against.

I joined my EPQ class really late since I was doing 4 Linear A Levels, but managed to finish before the rest of them and score myself an A*. Honestly, 1) Passion 2) Opinion and you'll survive EPQ :smile:

I would recommend looking at BBC News and just looking around for an event that you feel something towards, for example, the Charlie Gard case. What your initial reaction is towards the article, should create your question and put forward a line of argument (just an example)

Another pointer would be, I found that the people in my class that had an EPQ topic that was personal to themselves, were the most motivated to contributing work towards their EPQ (My mother basically supported the murderous President in the Philippines and that's why I got triggered and did my EPQ about the Philippines). Don't try to be influenced by other peoples questions and topics, if you do enough research you should be able to create your own :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Flocoa
Definitely do something you are passionate about, you're going to be writing and researching it for hours on end so make sure it's enjoyable. When deciding a topic, the best thing to do is to find an area YOU have an opinion about. I finished my EPQ this March and my topic was rather abstract, consisting loosely of international law in relation to the Philippines drug war situation. One of the main parts of writing your EPQ is arguing your question, so make sure you can identify an argument for and against.

I joined my EPQ class really late since I was doing 4 Linear A Levels, but managed to finish before the rest of them and score myself an A*. Honestly, 1) Passion 2) Opinion and you'll survive EPQ :smile:

I would recommend looking at BBC News and just looking around for an event that you feel something towards, for example, the Charlie Gard case. What your initial reaction is towards the article, should create your question and put forward a line of argument (just an example)

Another pointer would be, I found that the people in my class that had an EPQ topic that was personal to themselves, were the most motivated to contributing work towards their EPQ (My mother basically supported the murderous President in the Philippines and that's why I got triggered and did my EPQ about the Philippines). Don't try to be influenced by other peoples questions and topics, if you do enough research you should be able to create your own :smile:

Thank you!! That helps a lot
Original post by Flocoa

Heya im doing the same EPQ topic as you!,im filipino and im doing law for uni & i wanted to choose a topic regarding human rights,international relations,etc but was still personal to me. Im really struggling on what question title i should do as i really want to include the catholic & human rights opposition against the Death Penalty in the Philippine Drug War, my main title right now is "Is the Death Penalty in the Philippine Drug War working/helping/effective? - It's Opposition,Human Rights & President Duterte" its a really rough/broad title right now so it does need improving. Also im really struggling on what sources to use,i might do a survery on the topic for filipinos in the uk vs filipinos in the philippines ,etc ,Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending