The Student Room Group

Not sure what alevels to pick

I'm quite stuck on what alevels I want to do, I know that I want to do English literature, however for the other 2 I was thinking health and social care and food + nutrition science. Would these go well together and especially so universities recognise these subjects? Or should I replace 1 or 2 of them with history or RS?
English goes better with History and or RS. I haven't heard of either of your other options, and i suppose whether a university views them seriously will depend on the course / institution you are applying to. What do you want to study?
Some universities have a preferred subject list, if you know what course you want to do then have a look at that and look at the specific entry requirements. History tends to put people at a real advantage and this would complement English Lit and RS. It would be a good combo to study these three as they are all similar, yet different giving you an advantage when choosing a course. Hope that helped! :smile:
History, English Lit and RS open more doors for you especially if you're undecided about what exactly you want to study at universities. Level 3 Health and Social will be recognised but will not be particularly useful if you want to do something academic like English at university. I think it would be best to do history and rs with English but if you are passionate about your original options maybe keep one of them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ivorygold
History, English Lit and RS open more doors for you especially if you're undecided about what exactly you want to study at universities. Level 3 Health and Social will be recognised but will not be particularly useful if you want to do something academic like English at university. I think it would be best to do history and rs with English but if you are passionate about your original options maybe keep one of them :smile:

I'm thinking of picking RS, although I'm not sure which one to keep as I want to keep one of them to fall back on incase it doesn't work out
Reply 5
Original post by xBasedChris
English goes better with History and or RS. I haven't heard of either of your other options, and i suppose whether a university views them seriously will depend on the course / institution you are applying to. What do you want to study?

I'm thinking of doing either English, sociology or law etc at university so I'm thinking of doing English and RS but I'm not sure either to keep health and social care or food nutrition science as I want one of them to have as a second choice
Original post by Amy_t
I'm thinking of picking RS, although I'm not sure which one to keep as I want to keep one of them to fall back on incase it doesn't work out

RS and English would work great together! I would honestly say Health and Social care, because it links more reasonably with the other two options and would be more recognised by a university. Have you done GCSE/Level 2 Health and Social before?
Original post by Amy_t
I'm thinking of doing either English, sociology or law etc at university so I'm thinking of doing English and RS but I'm not sure either to keep health and social care or food nutrition science as I want one of them to have as a second choice

For those three courses I would suggest English, History and RS. Health and Social Care might be somewhat applicable to Sociology, but any of the above three would be better choices. For English, you obviously need English but History and RS are very useful too, and for Law History is strongly recommended in most cases, and English and RS would be good too.
Reply 8
Original post by ivorygold
RS and English would work great together! I would honestly say Health and Social care, because it links more reasonably with the other two options and would be more recognised by a university. Have you done GCSE/Level 2 Health and Social before?

My school didn't have it as a GCSE, although my teachers told me I'd be very capable of doing it. Thank you for your help :smile:
It's usually inadvisable to take more than one "vocational" or "applied" A-level course - as this can heavily limit your choices if you end up applying to university. History is very well considered as an academic A-level, and often taken with English for those considering applying to similar subjects at university - be it English and History themselves, or other similarly essay based subjects such as Law, Classics, and Philosophy (these are just examples - there are many, many courses they are good preparation for).

If you're interested in health and the human body, you may want to consider A-level Biology, or the BTEC Applied Science in place of H&SC or Food & Nutrition. They may also open some additional opportunities in similar scientific courses at university, or potentially laboratory assistant work as a school leaver (either as a gap year activity or longer term).
Reply 10
For those three courses I would suggest English, History and RS. Health and Social Care might be somewhat applicable to Sociology, but any of the above three would be better choices. For English, you obviously need English but History and RS are very useful too, and for Law History is strongly recommended in most cases, and English and RS would be good too.

Okay, thank you for your help!
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
It's usually inadvisable to take more than one "vocational" or "applied" A-level course - as this can heavily limit your choices if you end up applying to university. History is very well considered as an academic A-level, and often taken with English for those considering applying to similar subjects at university - be it English and History themselves, or other similarly essay based subjects such as Law, Classics, and Philosophy (these are just examples - there are many, many courses they are good preparation for).

If you're interested in health and the human body, you may want to consider A-level Biology, or the BTEC Applied Science in place of H&SC or Food & Nutrition. They may also open some additional opportunities in similar scientific courses at university, or potentially laboratory assistant work as a school leaver (either as a gap year activity or longer term).

I did single award science so I can't do biology and my school doesn't do applied science. I'm thinking of keeping 1 of them on just to fall back on if the others doesn't work out but I'm not sure which one to keep on
Original post by Amy_t
My school didn't have it as a GCSE, although my teachers told me I'd be very capable of doing it. Thank you for your help :smile:

I took it at BTEC and it was really interesting but not something super enjoyable unless you're interested in going into a social care field. No problem, good luck!
Original post by Amy_t
I did single award science so I can't do biology and my school doesn't do applied science. I'm thinking of keeping 1 of them on just to fall back on if the others doesn't work out but I'm not sure which one to keep on

To be honest, given your lack of eligibility to do science A-Levels, I would suggest going for the English, History, and RS combination. The subjects where your other proposed subjects would be most applicable would be sciences, where your lack of experience at GCSE and thus A-Level will dampen your prospects.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending