The Student Room Group

Why do people on this see height as a disadvantage?

I'm a guy much smaller than average, and I've never seen it as any disadvantage. I've got to where I want in life.

What's up with the obsession from this forum?

Scroll to see replies

They probably think they are ugly so they have to resort to other obsessions like height and weight.
Original post by Ursaring
I'm a guy much smaller than average, and I've never seen it as any disadvantage. I've got to where I want in life.

I echo this sentiment as a shorter chap. It's mostly irrelevant, but people tend to make excuses for their own shortcomings (no pun intended).
Reply 3
I'm not sure if people IRL do. Some people get shocked that I'm married but that might be because I'm much younger than the average married guy and nothing to do with height.

Tbf its not just this forum. Its great that you have the confidence, but many young students do not. Height for a boy is advantageous, especially when it comes to a certain group of girls who have that preference. It shouldnt hold you back though and there are plenty of others where it isnt an issue. The sad thing is the more people point out how disadvantaged and hard done by they are then the more they make their prophecy of doom come true. Accept who you are and be proud of it.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Tbf its not just this forum. Its great that you have the confidence, but many young students do not. Height for a boy is advantageous, especially when it comes to a certain group of girls who have that preference. It shouldnt hold you back though and there are plenty of others where it isnt an issue. The sad thing is the more people point out how disadvantaged and hard done by they are then the more they make their prophecy of doom come true. Accept who you are and be proud of it.

Are you meaning girls in a romantic relationship or just as friends?
Are you meaning girls in a romantic relationship or just as friends?

Former.
Reply 7
There are advantages of being tall, much like there are advantages of being short. Girls do prefer taller men however.
Reply 8
Former.

Not something that I need to worry about being married.

I do wonder why people IRL are shocked when I tell them.
Not something that I need to worry about being married.

I do wonder why people IRL are shocked when I tell them.

Then maybe you dont appreciate how the average 16 year old thinks.
Some people who are anxious, then its a real issue not being ideal and they have low self esteem. You are lucky to have the self confidence.
Personally I'm attracted to shorter men. My celebrity crush is Richard Hammond, at only five seven!
Reply 11
I would take preferences on TSR with a pinch of salt. It's just that people are insecure about the things they can't change, race being the other thing. Unfortunately people are more insecure these days and are using TSR as a platform to rant about it e.g. "why can't an Asian guy get girls" or "why cant anyone less than 6' get girls?"

Taller height is a common preference but being insecure about it makes someone more undesirable. So it's good that you're not thinking about it, be happy with yourself is what I tell people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Then maybe you dont appreciate how the average 16 year old thinks.
Some people who are anxious, then its a real issue not being ideal and they have low self esteem. You are lucky to have the self confidence.

Surely this thread isn't just about how the "average 16 year old" thinks? Even tall 16 year old have insecurities, everyone has insecurities at 16.

The point the OP is trying to make is that there is no point letting it shoot down your self esteem, when ultimately one can still have whatever they want if they're short and don't really have to work that much harder for it. It's also slightly silly to suggest that self confidence is luck just because the OP is short - it's built over time based on your own mentality.

I'm almost willing to go as far as suggesting that confidence is a choice.

I think women make waaaay too much out of this- I've definitely called my friends up on this

'I want any future boyfriend to be 6'2 or above'
'okay, but what do you, a 4'11 woman, need a 6'2 boyfriend for?'
'so that I can wear heels'
'okay, but are you aware of *just* how much of a height difference that is? you're gonna look like Pinky and the Brain!'

To be honest, I think a lot of people say they like a tall guy when they're describing their ideal. In the real world it doesn't really work like that, the average height is 5'9 in the UK and there are only so many people above that height to go round. Most people realise that if you meet someone that you click with and they aren't tall it's not a deal breaker or the end of the world.

As for me, all three of my ex boyfriends have been under 5'9- the most recent ex being 5'6. It really isn't that big a deal.
Liar. According to the Pokédex you're 5'11'', which is certainly not 'much smaller than average'.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Surely this thread isn't just about how the "average 16 year old" thinks? Even tall 16 year old have insecurities, everyone has insecurities at 16.

The point the OP is trying to make is that there is no point letting it shoot down your self esteem, when ultimately one can still have whatever they want if they're short and don't really have to work that much harder for it. It's also slightly silly to suggest that self confidence is luck just because the OP is short - it's built over time based on your own mentality.

I'm almost willing to go as far as suggesting that confidence is a choice.

Seriously?

My point to the OP is that not everyone is like he is.

The majority of posters on this forum are not married. They are still at school or just at uni. A lot of them have anxiety issues. FACT because of how many such threads there are. Actually some of self confidence is luck and if they haven't grown up in an environment where they are encouraged to have self confidence and they havent figured it out for themselves then they dont have it, Thats the reality of the situation. Humblebragging you dont have a confidence issue, doesnt solve it for the person who has low self esteem problems.

Yes all mental health issues are as simple as choosing. Bravo.

Are you saying that TSR members think being short is a disadvantage? Slightly confused by the thread title. For the record, I have no issues with people based on height, I'm 6"2
Reply 17
Original post by LeslieNOPE
I think women make waaaay too much out of this- I've definitely called my friends up on this

'I want any future boyfriend to be 6'2 or above'
'okay, but what do you, a 4'11 woman, need a 6'2 boyfriend for?'
'so that I can wear heels'
'okay, but are you aware of *just* how much of a height difference that is? you're gonna look like Pinky and the Brain!'

To be honest, I think a lot of people say they like a tall guy when they're describing their ideal. In the real world it doesn't really work like that, the average height is 5'9 in the UK and there are only so many people above that height to go round. Most people realise that if you meet someone that you click with and they aren't tall it's not a deal breaker or the end of the world.

As for me, all three of my ex boyfriends have been under 5'9- the most recent ex being 5'6. It really isn't that big a deal.

I'm the same height as my wife. I've not had any exes though so I've never been with anyone else.
But when a 5 ft 1 man with a net worth of 1 billion shows up height goes out the window
Seriously?

My point to the OP is that not everyone is like he is.

The majority of posters on this forum are not married. They are still at school or just at uni. A lot of them have anxiety issues. FACT because of how many such threads there are. Actually some of self confidence is luck and if they haven't grown up in an environment where they are encouraged to have self confidence and they havent figured it out for themselves then they dont have it, Thats the reality of the situation. Humblebragging you dont have a confidence issue, doesnt solve it for the person who has low self esteem problems.

You seem to be completely missing the point. I'm criticising the parallel you're drawing between short height and a lack of confidence as if it's a default position that one must accept as part of being short. On your point about luck, since "figuring it out for yourself" is an option, that squarely puts the ball in the court of the person. Finally, "humblebragging" as you rather patronisingly and inaccurately call it, could inspire someone to be more confident in themselves to know it can be achieved amongst all of the negativity towards short height found on here.

I'm finding significant irony in the fact that you're criticising a positive message about confidence and height, yet find it somewhat unlikely that the same criticism would be levelled at someone "humblebragging" about how their height makes getting girls easy, for example etc. The proof is in the threads on this forum. Sympathy and self-loathing isn't going to solve anything either. Being honest might.

Yes all mental health issues are as simple as choosing. Bravo.

Lacking confidence is a mental health issue? Putting that in the same category as actual mental health issues is almost insulting to those with real problems. Self confidence is a problem, but drawing comparison to serious medical conditions is a HUGE over-exaggeration.

I normally appreciate your posts as guaranteed good advice, but you're way off the mark this time I'm afraid.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending