The Student Room Group

I'm 22, is it too late to do these things?

Bearing in mind I'm going into my final year of uni, so 23 until I'll be able to do some things. So here's my list;

Travelling, attending as many festivals as possible abroad and in the U.K. , learning how to swim, learning how to drive ( Haven't had the money or time because of uni etc), having sex for the first time (embarrassingly), also having a first boyfriend. Doing something major in relation to a career where I get recognition for it and I feel proud about it.

I know it sounds weird but I feel like I'm running out of time to do these things before I have to settle down.

Scroll to see replies

You're 22, not an OAP. The only time it becomes too late is when you decide it is and give up.
Original post by Anonymous
Bearing in mind I'm going into my final year of uni, so 23 until I'll be able to do some things. So here's my list;

Travelling, attending as many festivals as possible abroad and in the U.K. , learning how to swim, learning how to drive ( Haven't had the money or time because of uni etc), having sex for the first time (embarrassingly), also having a first boyfriend. Doing something major in relation to a career where I get recognition for it and I feel proud about it.

I know it sounds weird but I feel like I'm running out of time to do these things before I have to settle down.

It's never too late! If you want to do it, it's up to you to d it. You don't know what life has ot in store for you so do s much as you can. Honestly, I would learn to swim and drive first. Swimming more importantly but driving also important. Swimming purely because when you go traveling you can basically just go and swim everywhere! haha. Driving is very good and useful because it means you are able to hire a car whilst traveling at that opens up so many doors and possibilities. Even if you don't ever drive abroad, the option is always there
Yes. It is too late. As soon as you turn 18, you are banned from having any life experiences or doing anything that will benefit or enrich your life.

EDIT: Settle down at 22? What universe do you live in?
I'm 21, got my first adult passport last year and left the UK for the first time since I was 5 (On my own!) and my Grandma learnt to drive aged 68,
Its never too late
Don't stress about what other people are doing and where they are in life, just do you
If it's any help, I'm 23 now and I've managed to go to a total of 13 festivals all over the country (some of them repeats) since 2014. I haven't learnt how to drive yet but I have had a boyfriend. However, most recent boyfriend broke my heart to the point where I have fallen into a bit of a depression, so I feel like you're in a better position to find a new boyfriend than my pining heart is right now (and sex will follow!) Also the most progress I've made towards a career (in teaching) was made when I got my first 'real job' last year at the age of 22.

So you have time, and who says you ever need to 'settle down' anyway? :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)

It's never too late - you have plenty of time, chill and enjoy the planning.

In a nutshell - No it's not too late to do any of those. That much is concrete and doesn't need a lengthy response, nor should it really be up for debate.

Nonetheless, I'll aimlessly fill space anyway.

- Travelling can be done at any age and enjoyed at any age. It might become a little more inconveniencing come 2019 when we may need Visas due to Brexit, but far far from impossible.

- Festivals are attended by people well into their 50s

- I'm 24, passed my driving test this year at 23 so I've only been driving around 5 months yet it only took about a month if not less to feel completely at home and instinctive with it. It's definitely not too late for driving.

- There's nothing embarrassing about not having sex. If anyone thinks otherwise, to hell with them. It's your choice, your life and your comfort zone. It doesn't concern anyone else's opinion nor does anyone's opinion on it matter.

- People are hooking up/dating at all ages right up to 60s and 70s. That alone should tell you it's not too late by any means.

- You're in your final year of uni - Your dissertation is something to be proud of, and after that every hurdle you jump is something to be proud of. Your life will be filled with pride, you just have to notice it (:
Reply 8
Original post by IIPolaroidII
Yes. It is too late. As soon as you turn 18, you are banned from having any life experiences or doing anything that will benefit or enrich your life.

EDIT: Settle down at 22? What universe do you live in?

I didn't exactly say settle down at 22 I said before I have to settle down lol.
Reply 9
Original post by iwenttokeele
If it's any help, I'm 23 now and I've managed to go to a total of 13 festivals all over the country (some of them repeats) since 2014. I haven't learnt how to drive yet but I have had a boyfriend. However, most recent boyfriend broke my heart to the point where I have fallen into a bit of a depression, so I feel like you're in a better position to find a new boyfriend than my pining heart is right now (and sex will follow!) Also the most progress I've made towards a career (in teaching) was made when I got my first 'real job' last year at the age of 22.

So you have time, and who says you ever need to 'settle down' anyway? :wink:

That all sounds good, I guess it's because I'm excited to do these things, but because I'm still at uni I'm just really impatient lol.
you're talking like you're 80. relax, there is plenty of time to do a lot of things in life. Take Colonel Sanders as an example (KFC guy)
Original post by Sykeology
In a nutshell - No it's not too late to do any of those. That much is concrete and doesn't need a lengthy response, nor should it really be up for debate.

Nonetheless, I'll aimlessly fill space anyway.

- Travelling can be done at any age and enjoyed at any age. It might become a little more inconveniencing come 2019 when we may need Visas due to Brexit, but far far from impossible.

- Festivals are attended by people well into their 50s

- I'm 24, passed my driving test this year at 23 so I've only been driving around 5 months yet it only took about a month if not less to feel completely at home and instinctive with it. It's definitely not too late for driving.

- There's nothing embarrassing about not having sex. If anyone thinks otherwise, to hell with them. It's your choice, your life and your comfort zone. It doesn't concern anyone else's opinion nor does anyone's opinion on it matter.

- People are hooking up/dating at all ages right up to 60s and 70s. That alone should tell you it's not too late by any means.

- You're in your final year of uni - Your dissertation is something to be proud of, and after that every hurdle you jump is something to be proud of. Your life will be filled with pride, you just have to notice it (:

Thanks!! I don't mind that you filled that space, I like long responses. I'm so excited, but yeah its because I've really wanted to do all those things but I haven't been able to for a long time.
Original post by storm95
you're talking like you're 80. relax, there is plenty of time to do a lot of things in life. Take Colonel Sanders as an example (KFC guy)

lol I'm sorry but I don't know much about colonel sanders
i am the same age no its not too late
well atleast i hope it isnt .....

23 is nowhere near late. One of my aunts who is 31 now still hasn't learnt how to drive
Reply 16
I learnt to swim when I was 17 and honestly it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I got private one-on-one lessons (easier to find and cheaper than you might think) in a small pool twice a week and could swim competently within a month. The lady who taught me said it was surprising how many adults were learning, and I saw people of many different age ranges coming in for lessons, including a very large 'gymlad' looking man in his 30s and a couple of women who must have been in their 60s at least. I was super nervous and embarrassed about it at first because I never learnt as a kid, but I would say the best way to do it is to just force yourself to book some lessons and take the plunge. You can learn at any age, might even become something to be proud of!
I know I can solve exactly two of those problems!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh wow you sound just like me. I'm even 22 and going into my last year of uni.
I just started travelling and got my theory done. You still have time don't worry about it.
Chill. You have plenty of time unless you are planning an early death. Life isn't one big race. If you are determined to do something, I'm sure you'll do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending