The Student Room Group

IB or A levels?

Hello! I would like to know if its better for me to do Ib or A levels for medicine in germany. Im not from germany or europe. My o levels grades were average. Is it true that Ib is harder than A levels? Would it be a good idea for an average student to do Ib? TIA.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I have got quite a few German friends at my school who came to do IB as they say it's easier to get a place in German uni than with Abitur or A-levels.
Average students can do the IB - it is not designed for brainiacs only :s-smilie:. The thing is, with a competitive course that Medicine is you may want to reconsider it. But if your grades were not high enough as yet - nothing bothers you to improve them on the course of your DP.

Hope that helps.
There are a lot of people in my IB group that want to do medicine. It's good since you can do a mix of sciences and also maths and also humanities that could be useful such as psychology. Medicine is very challenging though, you would need to work hard.

imo, the hardest thing about the IB is being organised and motivated. If you can do that, I think you'll be fine.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Wor18
I have got quite a few German friends at my school who came to do IB as they say it's easier to get a place in German uni than with Abitur or A-levels.
Average students can do the IB - it is not designed for brainiacs only :s-smilie:. The thing is, with a competitive course that Medicine is you may want to reconsider it. But if your grades were not high enough as yet - nothing bothers you to improve them on the course of your DP.

Hope that helps.

Thank youu! 😁😁❤
Original post by CactusMaya
There are a lot of people in my IB group that want to do medicine. It's good since you can do a mix of sciences and also maths and also humanities that could be useful such as psychology. Medicine is very challenging though, you would need to work hard.

imo, the hardest thing about the IB is being organised and motivated. If you can do that, I think you'll be fine.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much! 😁
Original post by Alice skandes
Hello! I would like to know if its better for me to do Ib or A levels for medicine in germany. Im not from germany or europe. My o levels grades were average. Is it true that Ib is harder than A levels? Would it be a good idea for an average student to do Ib? TIA.

IB for sure. Medicine is hard work, intensive, and requires organization. IB is a much better preparation for that. In addition, it lets you do bio and chem and still four more subjects. It is much more like the Abitur than A Levels, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if some German unis look unfavorably on the A Levels. They might be interested in international students regardless, but still.

Also have you done Latin, I am fairly certain German universities require it for medicine.

Do you speak German?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
IB for sure. Medicine is hard work, intensive, and requires organization. IB is a much better preparation for that. In addition, it lets you do bio and chem and still four more subjects. It is much more like the Abitur than A Levels, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if some German unis look unfavorably on the A Levels. They might be interested in international students regardless, but still.

Also have you done Latin, I am fairly certain German universities require it for medicine.

Do you speak German?

Thank youu! No, cant speak german. :/
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank youu! No, cant speak german. :/

So why do you want to do medicine in Germany?
So why do you want to do medicine in Germany?

I've always dreamt of studying in germany. Im willing to work hard if I get a chance to study there. My parents are also encouraging me to apply there and ive heard it is also affordable.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've always dreamt of studying in germany. Im willing to work hard if I get a chance to study there. My parents are also encouraging me to apply there and ive heard it is also affordable.

But I am not sure they offer medicine in English.

At the very least you will need to pass an international standardized German course to a certain level.
Reply 10
But I am not sure they offer medicine in English.

At the very least you will need to pass an international standardized German course to a certain level.

I am pretty sure unis in Munich and Berlin do offer Medicine in English, but it may not me that affordable as the course in German language (I might be wrong).

For German language requirements, it is a little bit of a mess and is not as uniform as in the UK/US (IELTS or TOEFL respectively). There is a number of exams unis may require - you need to have a look around the colleges' websites. Either way, I am pretty sure that IB DP German B HL (assume level 7) would do and I'd personally email the admissions office.
IB is indeed difficult for those that haver studied in English, not because of lanaguage difficulties,but because of the "mentality" and the "difference". You need to work hard if you want to attend the IB especially for medicine (marks required are pretty high). I think a levels is easier,but the IB will help you have a smooth transition ino the Uni and inside it you will acquire virtues that you could not even imagine.

Good luck!
Reply 12
Hey guys, basically if I want to go to university outside the country I'm living in then I would need a scholarship as it is very expensive. In which program does a high grade give me a better chance at getting one, IB or A-levels?
Possible IB subject choice: Biology HL, Chemistry HL, Business and management HL
English Literature SL, Math SL, Arabic B SL
Possible A-level subject choice: Biology, Chemistry, Math, Business studies
IGCSE GRADES: Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Math: A*
ICT: A*
Arabic as a first language: A
English as a first language: B
Reply 13
Hi! Are You studying Now in Germany?

Quick Reply