The Student Room Group

I'm really struggling with history A level :/

I'm about to go into year 13 and I feel like I just haven't improved the entire year, especially with essays! I'm doing really well in my other subjects but I plan on doing history at uni and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! I am putting in a lot of work and doing essays often. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by larkspurs
I'm about to go into year 13 and I feel like I just haven't improved the entire year, especially with essays! I'm doing really well in my other subjects but I plan on doing history at uni and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong! I am putting in a lot of work and doing essays often. Does anyone have any advice?

I can't give any specific advice for History but if you're not doing well in essays even though you've worked hard to know your content then it's usually the structure that you need to look at, thehistorybore has some great advice for writing history essays here and revision tips.

I'd also recommend getting specific advice from your history teacher about your essays, perhaps practise some essays and give them in for their feedback?
(edited 6 years ago)
lots struggle ... don't worry..
Reply 3
Original post by Black Rose
I can't give any specific advice for History but thehistorybore has some great advice for writing history essays and revision tips.

I'd also recommend getting specific advice from your history teacher about your essays, perhaps practise some essays and give them in for their feedback?

I'm doing extra essays but I'm just not improving :frown: the grades I was getting in my first month are the same I'm getting now and I've asked for advice on them but it doesn't change my mark?
Thanks though!
Original post by larkspurs
I'm doing extra essays but I'm just not improving :frown: the grades I was getting in my first month are the same I'm getting now and I've asked for advice on them but it doesn't change my mark?
Thanks though!

Perhaps it's the structure of your essay that you need to look at? Have a look at the link I posted above about writing history essays. :smile:

and if your marks haven't changed despite improving your essay with your teacher's feedback, ask them again, say "I've done as you advised but I haven't been able to improve" maybe even show another history teacher at your school for their feedback?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending