The Student Room Group

IBD analyst, ama

been through the roads, so if anyone has questions on the role, process of entry, the environment, i'd be happy to answer.

would be a great opportunity for some new undergrads to get in some organic (non sell-side) advice.

shoot away.

note* will omit details in some answers, if i deem them non-necessary to any beneficial discussion, otherwise will do my best to keep answers as open and honest as possible.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
been through the roads, so if anyone has questions on the role, process of entry, the environment, i'd be happy to answer.

would be a great opportunity for some new undergrads to get in some organic (non sell-side) advice.

shoot away.

note* will omit details in some answers, if i deem them non-necessary to any beneficial discussion, otherwise will do my best to keep answers as open and honest as possible.

How do you sleep at night knowing you're earning a ridiculous inflated salary by ripping people off?

Also, do you think volunteering work such as 4 months working in the NHS would be advantageous when I apply for the spring weeks during university?
Original post by ihatehannah
How do you sleep at night knowing you're earning a ridiculous inflated salary by ripping people off?

Also, do you think volunteering work such as 4 months working in the NHS would be advantageous when I apply for the spring weeks during university?

quite contradictory questions. in either case, i'm not sure where you get the notion that we're ripping anyone off.

we provide an intemediary service, to faciliate capital transactions between providers of such and users. i'd like to think of it as though we're middle men, we take a fee for either setting up capital market (debt & equity) issuances or providing advice on transactions of a more acquisitive nature. we sell our expertise and experience in running the process.

*granted our clients are quite affluent business people and eligble counterparty investors themselves, i highly doubt they'd be succeptible to being 'ripped' off. the banking environment, especially granted the new regulatory regime is certainly not like what you see in the movies xD

as to your other question, most definiately. for your applications to banking programmes, banks mostly look for the transferrable skills that you possess which can translate in the banking environment. for instance, teamwork/initiative/leadership. if you're interested in applying to spring week programmes, ensure that you clearly display these skills when outlining the descriptions of your experience.
Is it true that you can move into IBD after working at the Big 4 for a couple of years (i.e as an auditor)?

Also, what websites would you recommend when preparing for the numerical and reasoning tests? I struggle at those.
How easy is it to move from a law graduate to investment banking with no experience and contact whatsoever?

What are you usual working hours?

How much do you spend on food a day?

How far do you travel to get home?

What do you spend your free time on?

Do you make friends with your colleagues, or is it a heads down culture?

Do people wear Hermes belts and ties?
Original post by seconda1
So i was at a weak semi target and realised i want to persue IB so i took new a levels and got A*AA and will be applying to oxbridge/other targets

What do you think of this? I will be 22/23 when starting ib
I did learn lots of accounting though at my first uni

Also how much sleep do you get?
Do you eat healthy?

age is a non-issue, my cohort for first year analyst range between c.21-26

speaking to my experiences, i'd average around 5-7 hours of sleep on a weekday, and weekends fluctuate heavily dependent on what needs doing.
i'd like to consider myself to be quite healthy, i guess i'll see how long that lasts.

Original post by Skill Twix
Is it true that you can move into IBD after working at the Big 4 for a couple of years (i.e as an auditor)?

Also, what websites would you recommend when preparing for the numerical and reasoning tests? I struggle at those.

yes, it's very much possible to be hired in as a lateral, albeit quite rare. from my knowledge those who do end up in banking, seemed to have some sort of CorpFin/Transaction Services background from big4 firms.

i used gradmonkey/jobtestprep during my application periods. i'd recommend any of the two.
Original post by tehforum
How easy is it to move from a law graduate to investment banking with no experience and contact whatsoever?

would be very difficult without prior experience. generally front-office banking (ibd) hire people who've had some level of experience in the area. although it has been done.

What are you usual working hours?

15-16 hours, on average

How much do you spend on food a day?

i'm fairly quite cheap, we get a dinner allowance and if used well can buy lunch the next day. so main expenditure is breakfast, which is about a fiver. i'd spend no more than £10 on average on any given day on food.

How far do you travel to get home?

i live quite close to the office, so about a 10 minute walk

What do you spend your free time on?

personally.. tv shows, see family, table tennis, hang-out with old friends, go to the golf-range, gaming.. what anyone else would usually do really. nothing too exciting, just keeping myself active and maintaining my hobbies.

Do you make friends with your colleagues, or is it a heads down culture?

very much so, there's a great comradery to banking which is quite nice. kinda like 'we're all in this together', great stories and great relationships. the people who work here have incredible backgrounds so it's always interesting to speak to people.

Do people wear Hermes belts and ties?

i think so, i'm not big on fasion myself so not yet well versed in brands. as previously stated i'm fairly cheap.
What was the one thing motivating you to pursue IBD as a career? And I don't mean an interview style answer, was it all the things that come with it being a prestigious career or did you actually have some deep fascination with IBD as an industry?
would be very difficult without prior experience. generally front-office banking (ibd) hire people who've had some level of experience in the area. although it has been done.

15-16 hours, on average

how many days a week?

i'm fairly quite cheap, we get a dinner allowance and if used well can buy lunch the next day. so main expenditure is breakfast, which is about a fiver. i'd spend no more than £10 on average on any given day on food.
breh, I'd be getting michelin star food every day on your kind of money

i live quite close to the office, so about a 10 minute walk

which station?

personally.. tv shows, see family, table tennis, hang-out with old friends, go to the golf-range, gaming.. what anyone else would usually do really. nothing too exciting, just keeping myself active and maintaining my hobbies.

very much so, there's a great comradery to banking which is quite nice. kinda like 'we're all in this together', great stories and great relationships. the people who work here have incredible backgrounds so it's always interesting to speak to people.

i think so, i'm not big on fasion myself so not yet well versed in brands. as previously stated i'm fairly cheap.

have you seen people wearing belts with a big shiny 'h' buckle, and/or ties with interlocking "h's"?

see bold

thanks
okay thats fine then

Are you an m&a analyst? what skills and i mean actual skills are good to learn for this job?

industry coverage, yes i do m&a too. i'd say the main ones:

attention to detail - as cliche as it sounds
ability to work under pressure
social skills (networking/managing people/communication is 80% of the job/team player)
time management and ability to be available/responsive

Original post by Terry Tibbs
What was the one thing motivating you to pursue IBD as a career? And I don't mean an interview style answer, was it all the things that come with it being a prestigious career or did you actually have some deep fascination with IBD as an industry?

social mobility. initially was to set myself a challenge and see if i could actually pull it off. now a big part of it is to show others in my previous circumstances that it's possible. hence, i spend alot of time on tsr or with charity organisations offering help to individuals. i think working in finance has allowed me to pursue those opportunities regarding mentorship, because i feel people are put-off from working hard because they feel there's a blockage somewhere. that's the real pleasure i get from being in my position. what happens to me isn't really interesting, my goal here is about the avenues i can create for those to come.

ofcourse i have my own career plans, but if you're asking the why.. the main dedication is surrounding mobility and discussions with ambitious people on the steps to take to go onto these related professional careers, and hopefully they can achieve great things.
see bold

thanks

those hours relate to the weekdays (5x)

yeah i've seen those around i think, not sure if within the office, most people dress fairly conservatively, not that i pay much attention to what people wear.
those hours relate to the weekdays (5x)

yeah i've seen those around i think, not sure if within the office, most people dress fairly conservatively, not that i pay much attention to what people wear.

so how many hours do you sleep on the weekends? because either you're catching up on sleep which ruins the weekday pattern, or you're getting up at normal time (6am?)?
Which universities are represented in your analyst class and what kind of schooling did most of your class have- private/state?
Hi :smile:

What exactly is the pathway to become an investment banker? Thanks
so how many hours do you sleep on the weekends? because either you're catching up on sleep which ruins the weekday pattern, or you're getting up at normal time (6am?)?

i'd usually get up at around 12 on a saturday/sunday, and if i don't need to go into the office just make ad-hoc plans as i go along. although weekends i get sufficient sleep for the most part.

Original post by timster32
Which universities are represented in your analyst class and what kind of schooling did most of your class have- private/state?

the main expected universities: 70-80% are oxbridge, lse, warwick, ucl, imperial and european targets and then the rest are from the 'semi-target' bracket and maybe 1 'non-target' dependent on your classifications [from the investment banking cohort]. by the looks of things, it would be mostly private/grammar school representation.
what do you think of product groups? Pure m&a?
Also what industy group?

are people all up your private life? Do they question your beliefs? Love life?

I dont drink either so im pretty sure this doesnt effect any social time right?

Is excel handy for m&a? what else do you think i should learn to basically master it all when and if i do persue ib

everyone has their own interests and career ambitions, so it would be very much dependent on what you want to do. the exit opps for groups such as industry/levfin/m&a are similar so i would always advise to pick a team based on the management and team you'll be working with. i think personal development and a good working environment is a lot more important than the specific role. that makes the difference regarding opportunities/experience/responsibilities.

the occasional private life topic (not that we have much) creeps up, but people are respectful towards privacy. regarding beliefs, these conversations do interestingly occur and can yield positive insightful discussions, the people who work in these areas are quite intellectual and as such some interesting conversations happen.

there's a big drinking culture in banking, although it hasn't hindered me much from anything.

excel and ppt are the primary software that we use.

Original post by leclapped
Hi :smile:

What exactly is the pathway to become an investment banker? Thanks

the pipepline process for banks is generally

insight days (pre-uni) > spring week programme (first year uni) > penultimate year internship (second year uni) > grad offer (after completion)
(edited 6 years ago)
Would you say any of the work you do is actually "hard" and have you had any thoughts yet of 'how much longer can I do this?!?' Also, how do organisations like SEO help in their investment banking/asset managements programmes?
everyone has their own interests and career ambitions, so it would be very much dependent on what you want to do. the exit opps for groups such as industry/levfin/m&a are similar so i would always advise to pick a team based on the management and team you'll be working with. i think personal development and a good working environment is a lot more important than the specific role. that makes the difference regarding opportunities/experience/responsibilities.

the occasional private life topic (not that we have much) creeps up, but people are respectful towards privacy. regarding beliefs, these conversations do interestingly occur and can yield positive insightful discussions, the people who work in these areas are quite intellectual and as such some interesting conversations happen.

there's a big drinking culture in banking, although it hasn't hindered me much from anything.

excel and ppt are the primary software that we use.

the pipepline process for banks is generally

insight days (pre-uni) > spring week programme (first year uni) > penultimate year internship (second year uni) > grad offer (after completion)

Original post by leclapped

1 to 3 day events offered to A-level students by various big banks which show an insight into banking as a career.
social mobility. initially was to set myself a challenge and see if i could actually pull it off. now a big part of it is to show others in my previous circumstances that it's possible. hence, i spend alot of time on tsr or with charity organisations offering help to individuals. i think working in finance has allowed me to pursue those opportunities regarding mentorship, because i feel people are put-off from working hard because they feel there's a blockage somewhere. that's the real pleasure i get from being in my position. what happens to me isn't really interesting, my goal here is about the avenues i can create for those to come.

ofcourse i have my own career plans, but if you're asking the why.. the main dedication is surrounding mobility and discussions with ambitious people on the steps to take to go onto these related professional careers, and hopefully they can achieve great things.
I can relate to this quite a lot actually, did you talk about this in interviews? Also, how many analysts do you know that got in after doing a finance masters as opposed to getting in from a second year internship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending