The Student Room Group

GCSE resist rules

I think I may have failed English language. However, I am confident that I have got at least a 7, if not an 8 in English literature, and I am predicted A*s in every other subject, including the ones I want to do at A level. I have looked online and can't find anywhere if you only have to pass one English to not resit. I'm worried I'm not going to get into the sixth form I want to and not going to be able to do 4 A levels, please help

Also I have no idea how I am so bad at English, I thought I would fail English lit too but that went well somehow
Original post by Fizzybee510
I think I may have failed English language. However, I am confident that I have got at least a 7, if not an 8 in English literature, and I am predicted A*s in every other subject, including the ones I want to do at A level. I have looked online and can't find anywhere if you only have to pass one English to not resit. I'm worried I'm not going to get into the sixth form I want to and not going to be able to do 4 A levels, please help

Also I have no idea how I am so bad at English, I thought I would fail English lit too but that went well somehow

You only have to resit if you get a 3 or below in both Literature and Language.
It's about half way down on this page: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-maths-and-english-condition-of-funding
I'm surprised that you thought you were going to fail though and now you're confident of a 7+. Unusual that your best and your worst vary by that much!
Same here except i think that i'm going to fail both english's and french. Whats the rules on retaking other subjects like if i fail french when can i retake the exam?
Reply 3
Original post by Charliewiz
Same here except i think that i'm going to fail both english's and french. Whats the rules on retaking other subjects like if i fail french when can i retake the exam?

I think u have to pay to resit anything other than English or maths, and if your not taking it for A level (which if u failed your probably not) then there's not much point in resisting?
Reply 4
Original post by Lemur14
It's about half way down on this page: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-maths-and-english-condition-of-funding
I'm surprised that you thought you were going to fail though and now you're confident of a 7+. Unusual that your best and your worst vary by that much!

Thankyou that makes me so happy, we never got told that.. and I know, in the last week or so before the exam my writing got so much better, I got a seven in class for the first time and before that I was getting low 4s it's so weird. We were told a 5 is the pass mark though so I thought I got below that in Lang is what I meant
Reply 5
You have all those A*s so who cares if you can't manage to get another one? You only need one English
I think u have to pay to resit anything other than English or maths, and if your not taking it for A level (which if u failed your probably not) then there's not much point in resisting?

But having some bad grades would make me less favourible as an applicant to universities.
Thankyou that makes me so happy, we never got told that.. and I know, in the last week or so before the exam my writing got so much better, I got a seven in class for the first time and before that I was getting low 4s it's so weird. We were told a 5 is the pass mark though so I thought I got below that in Lang is what I meant

Np :smile: It's not terribly widely publicised for some reason
A 5 was meant to be the benchmark from *2018* (or might have been 2019) but it's always been a 4 for our year (although that's yet another thing which wasn't widely publicised)
Nice timing for your writing to suddenly improve! I think I only went from average mark of around 16/30 in year 10 to 20/30 in year 11, although I was finally touching 22/23 a couple of times near to the exam so touch wood it'll be ok :smile:
Original post by Charliewiz

You will have to resit English Language at sixth form. You may resit in November in the first instance, then next June if you do not get a 4 again.
French you will no longer be able to resit on the current spec to my knowledge, as I don't believe any exam boards are giving a final chance to resit French next June. If you wanted to take the new specification you could do it next June if you could find a centre, however it is quite a bit more difficult than the outgoing specification so if you were likely to fail that then you may not wish to resit anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by The RAR
You have all those A*s so who cares if you can't manage to get another one? You only need one English

If you read the question, I hadn't been told if you only needed one English or not. And to get into some sixth forms you need both
If you read the question, I hadn't been told if you only needed one English or not. And to get into some sixth forms you need both

So you need to get into one of those "some" sixth forms, well yes you can resit the English lang if you think you failed
Original post by Lemur14

Does this mean that if I fail literature but pass language, I don't have to resist anything because I passed at least one English? Or does this mean that I have to pass literature AND language? A little bit confused by what you mean here,,sorry :frown:
Original post by TheYear11.Leaver
Does this mean that if I fail literature but pass language, I don't have to resist anything because I passed at least one English? Or does this mean that I have to pass literature AND language? A little bit confused by what you mean here,,sorry :frown:

Apologies, I've been away. You have to pass literature OR language to avoid having to retake. Hope that clears it up for you :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Apologies, I've been away. You have to pass literature OR language to avoid having to retake. Hope that clears it up for you :smile:

No you have to pass English language. Sixth forms & unis want English lang not lit
Original post by Shockez
No you have to pass English language. Sixth forms & unis want English lang not lit

I'm not talking about what sixth forms want, I'm talking about what the government accepts. The government states that you have to resit English if you pass neither English literature or English language, as stated in the document in post 2 of this thread.
Original post by Jtsy
The Government requires at least a 4 in Language, you can get a U in Literature for all they care

No, the government wants a 4 in either Language or Literature. They do not care which, or what you get in the other one.

Quick Reply

Latest